crazy animal encounters

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by metard, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    So when you guys travel abroad you would rather have to read a map than use GPS? I certainly appreciate GPS when navigating a foreign country.

2. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008

3. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Map preference, by far. It is much more educational than GPS bimbo telling you which way to turn....

MrBigglesworth likes this.
  4. ChavezyChavez

ChavezyChavez Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Them thar fancy phones y'all city slickers have glued to your ears don't work up in the PA big woods where my Unibomber style cabin is located. Map and compass required.
    Aint no trash pick up either. We gotta burn our garbage and haul out our glass and cans.

sisurfdogg, mattinvb, JayD and 2 others like this.
  5. ChavezyChavez

ChavezyChavez Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Also, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone with a full set of teeth in them parts....

6. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    I always have maps on hand. I do not fully rely on GPS, as I've experienced too many directional/routing errors with GPS.
    ...Besides, I get sick of the voice of June Cleaver giving me directions.

sisurfdogg, MrBigglesworth and Kyle like this.
  7. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
  8. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    ...It's where they invented the "tooth"brush.

MrBigglesworth and ChavezyChavez like this.
  9. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I asked Siri to GPS me to "Crazy Animal Encounters." She said, "No Result." I said, "ok."

See what I did just there?

10. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Sounds like our annual trip up to the mountains (no cabin...camp 8 days). We clean out the fire pit at end of week (cans and glass) and the next year it looks exactly the same. Big woods for sure...one of my favorite places to be!

11. mattinvb

mattinvb Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2014
    Try downloading offline maps on google maps on your phone.

12. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    GPS is not infallible. You'll need a backup at some point of you travel off the grid.

I found out that Google Maps is basically crap in some areas of the world during my first trip to CR last year. Not reliable. I think we downloaded content from Waze (?) which worked better for our particular area.

just keep a map (or hard copy from the net) along with a copy of your travel docs

13. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    For the last trip in Panama I used Waze but did exactly as you said and screenshot the maps to have on my phone and also brought 2 paper maps. I used GPS 95% of the time but def had backups ready and had to use them when getting up into the mountains at times.

MrBigglesworth and ChavezyChavez like this.
  14. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Wife an I came across a smallish water moccasin while hiking in Back Bay State Wildlife Preserve yesterday. It was less than 3 foot and coiled right along side the trail apparently taking advantage of the warm weather...upper 60s - mid 70s.

The vid below is of a guy wading (foolishly?) in a swamp to photograph a good-sized water moccasin...

MrBigglesworth and DawnPatrol321 like this.
  15. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
  16. Barry Cuda

Nov 19, 2018
    Yes, I have a similar annual trip. As winter approaches, I migrate to the TV room from the kitchen/dinning room. It is a very long trip, say, about 26 footsteps. I am exhausted when I get there......

17. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Hopefully you have a nice recliner to rest your old bones once you get there...

MrBigglesworth and nopantsLance like this.
  18. Barry Cuda

Nov 19, 2018
    Yup, and as I look out the window I see herds of majestic wildebeests grazing in front of Krakatoa as it explodes, sending ash and pumice into the high stratosphere.....

JayD likes this.
  19. MrBigglesworth

MrBigglesworth Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2018
    You mean Mount Wannahuckaloogie?

Notaseal likes this.