A stupid question about paddling for exercise

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Toonces, Feb 12, 2019.

1. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    There are no stoopid questions just slightly stoopid answers!

2. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    In the summer months, I either swim or surf every day after work.

So that means... I swim every day after work.

3. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Now that I'm retired...

Kyle, sigmund, nopantsLance and 5 others like this.
  4. World B Free

World B Free Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
    nopantsLance and sisurfdogg like this.
  5. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Solid point. They perform pretty damn well man. Carbon compact. Check out out toonces. My shaper makes em. No gimmick. It's legit. At least his are. Can't speak on others

6. capecodcdog

capecodcdog Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Toonces.. no stupid questions, just a pool of morons chewing on chum..

Anyways, maybe you could find a cheap bort, maybe even a soft/foamie that would float you, but small enough to stash some where .. performance isn't the issue, just something that will enable you to flat paddle.. some sort of foldable craft as suggested previously may be good if space limited. Something used/dinged up would work or fabricate your own.

My $.02

sigmund and MrBigglesworth like this.
  7. nopantsLance

nopantsLance Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2016
    [​IMG]

MrBigglesworth likes this.
  8. nopantsLance

nopantsLance Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2016
    [​IMG]

sigmund, Yankkee, DosXX and 2 others like this.
  9. frost

frost Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
    LBCrew likes this.
  10. Banned for being awesome

Banned for being awesome Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Flat out 100% This WILL get you on KOD.

11. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    yea, no better training than actual swimming.once ur body can cover serious ground,paddling on a board is a walk in the park.as far as goin out and just paddling around idk that doesn't really make sense for me.if im paddling its for a wave

MrBigglesworth and La_Piedra like this.
  12. Yankkee

Yankkee Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2017
  13. Toonces

Toonces Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2016
    Thanks for the replies. I'm a believer in swimming, but I'm not sure it's feasible where I'm talking about paddling. I'll keep that surfinshape thing in mind. I don't think it's quite what I'm looking for atm, but it's an interesting idea.

14. Toonces

Apr 25, 2016
    There was another board that broke into two parts, not a Pope but another brand out of Long Island. I actually thought about picking one up for surf travel. I'm not sold on spending that kind of money on a longboard for paddling at work, though. I mean it's a good idea, but just too much money for what I'd be using it for.

15. Toonces

Apr 25, 2016
    Hey Bassmon, how short can your shaper do one of those Pope Bisects? I'm crossing the streams here a bit, but I might be interested in one of those if I can get a shorter, travel board shape. Something like 6'10-7'2 rounded pin.

16. BassMon2

Jan 27, 2015
    He does them all sizes 9' LBs down to 5'6 or somthing and does customs. His "brand" is called "the carbon compact". Google carbon compact surfboard. You'll see his site with all the models and information on them.

17. BassMon2

Jan 27, 2015
  18. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Paddling a shortboard for excercise is bad idea. You're going to really strain your neck, your back, your rib cage, your shoulders, elbows and hips. To the point where if you keep at it you're going to incur permanent damage. The shortboard/thruster is not designed for that. It's built for paddles out to the lineup (3-6 minutes) and paddle for waves (20 seconds). A big lifeguard racing paddleboard holds you way above of the water which eases the strain on your back and cuts through the water which glides you along which limits the strain on your arms. Just buy a swim mask and a set of pool fins and and swim in the ocean for an hour, trust me you'll get a workout.

19. Toonces

Apr 25, 2016
    ^ Roger that. I'm glad I asked, now. Thanks fellas!

20. Toonces

Apr 25, 2016
    Ok, awesome! That's the board I saw that I was talking about above. I guess I didn't see the part about custom sizes. I thought he only did the stock sizes, which for the speed pin would be a 5'8 for me. I was hoping for something bigger...now that I see I can go custom I'm on board. Can I use you as a referral?