Ocean Plastic

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by aka pumpmaster, Mar 22, 2019.

1. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    ^^^like I said... durable goods.

2. NICAfiend

NICAfiend Well-Known Member

May 12, 2012
    Wanna go for a surf?

sigmund and Notaseal like this.

3. SCOB3YVILLE

SCOB3YVILLE Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    I hope you beat them with your cane.
    #hydrocarbons

Barry Cuda and DawnPatrol321 like this.
  4. grainofsand

grainofsand Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2014
    I was just thinking of this. It's a good reuse of the plastics but by no means is a closed loop. This seems like a great short-term solution, but long-term we need to get out of the disposable petroleum biz.

sigmund likes this.
  5. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    As far as the OP- I’m always interested in ways things can be reused... but definitely not a tree huger. Don’t get me wrong, i care... but I think ppl get a little overboard and there is also a political agenda at play as well...

Anyways- I will leave you with this... Interesting

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/29/climate/recycling-landfills-plastic-papers.html

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2018/03/06/only-9-of-the-worlds-plastic-is-recycled

Maybe it’s all the plastic that is floating around contributing to raising sea levels

6. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
  7. ChavezyChavez

ChavezyChavez Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
  8. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Even my weed guy phased out plastic.

foamieswithmyhomies and Kyle like this.
  9. foamieswithmyhomies

foamieswithmyhomies Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2014
    I heard this is what the hit on staten island was about. Word is he was having moral qualms about helping big plastic and wanted out. You know what the goombahs say about a paisan with a big carbon footprint...

ChavezyChavez likes this.
  10. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    At long last. Other states/localities need to follow suit.
    A 15 year-old article on "witch's britches":
    https://waynedalenews.com/2004/03/its-time-to-remove-those-witches-britches1789/

There's been an inconsistency though. I know of areas, including in central NY state, where households are required to put garbage into tied plastic bags before putting it in their roadside cans.

11. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Same in my town. They banned plastic grocery bags, but require plastic garbage bags in cans. Either way, it's still a net loss of locally generated plastic.

12. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    There's some weird things going on in NY. Like i mentioned earlier, we are too far gone and at this point alot of these things are being enforced to make people FEEL like somthing is being done.

For instance (going to be all over the place here, my bad)..... some towns only let you put out a certain grade of plastic in your recycling bin (not in my town but my in laws can only recycle certain bottles/containers). If you want a plastic bag at the store, your charged 5 cents. Yet cashiers often just hand out the bags whether they charge you the 5 cents or not. More often than not i either get charged 5 cents and handed a plastic bag without ever being asked (it's 5 cents so i don't say anything) or im not charged 5 cents and get handed a bag anyway. It's really only grocery stores that this policy works as intended. And lastly, this is specific to my town. But it seems the recycling truck can't keep up with ther amount of plastic/recycling going out. There are days i put out my recycling and it isn't picked up. Maybe half the block is picked up. Worth noting i live right on the water, you can't get any further south. So im the end of the route. Some days this isn't a big deal as i just bring it back in the backyard and wait till the next recycling day. But on windy days, which we've had a ton of recently, it's not uncommon for those bins to get knocked over and plastic and garbage gets blown all over due to the constant wind all day while people are at work.