Greatest Surfing Invention

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by LBCrew, Apr 8, 2019.

1. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Four cams in a mile is nothing. Go to this link which happens to be the beach at the end of my street. Then scroll down and click on the heading Ocean City to expand it. There are 90 cameras on a 6-mile long island. Granted these aren't all pointed at the ocean but a good chunk of them are. On this one website alone there are at least 15 cameras covering a one mile stretch of beach that accounts for all of the best surf spots. This is just one website. Surfline and a couple of other websites also have cameras along the same stretch of beach. http://attheshore.com/livecam-gardens-plaza-skycam#sponsorad

ChavezyChavez likes this.
  2. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    That’s insane. But posting the link and telling the world about it will only attract more people to the lineup. Those that didn’t know that site existed now know about it lol

3. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Folly ain't Silver Strand dawg lol

But yeah. One of Surfing's greatest inventions is Localism.

Sh!t needs to be regulated

4. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Yeah man, that's crazy. I do stand by my previous statements, but i also totally get that i don't have it like that and can fully understand why people in areas like you don't agree with me.

I knew i had less cams then most places, but i NEVER realized or even considered that it was that bad. I thought heavily camed states had like....i don't know.... maybe 10 cams in a state.

I fully get it and admit my opinion is null and void as i can't even comprehend what it's like having that many cams

DawnPatrol321 likes this.
  5. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    If you look at my town's geographical location in relation to major highways and consider that inlanders being lazy get on the highway and go to where they can see it on a camera so they don't waste time. Me......I've lived and surfed here for 35+ years and the cameras have really jacked up the crowds. Some of my best sessions in recent years have involved leaving my home town and going to neighboring towns which get overlooked because.......NO CAMS.

JayD and Barry Cuda like this.
  6. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    At this point it doesn't matter.

Barry Cuda and UnfurleD like this.
  7. La_Piedra

Oct 9, 2017
    Every surfer out here (except me) use Magic Seeweed and rely heavily on their fucast. Particularly the inlanders.

You can tell when MSW predicts a “5 star day” when it’s 6’ @ 17 seconds with offshores and all the kooks show up thinking it’s gonna go off, only to find out that it’s big and gnarly and generally unsurfable.

And they paddle out anyways because they drove 3 hrs to get there lol

Notaseal likes this.
  8. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    That bad huh? :eek:

CJsurf likes this.
  9. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2018
    That is generally the same here--massholes come screaming up here (most driving BLACK pick up trucks of one sort or another (do trucks come in other colors??), and go out in crap ass surf that either MSW or SI has told them is wonderful. Well, surf shops etc will not advertise on their sites if they do not drive business to them, huh??

10. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Local as it gets

Notaseal and La_Piedra like this.
  11. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I was doing a beach clean-up a few weeks ago on one of those days where the forecast was 3 foot and clean but it was ankle high...nobody out.

Guy rolls up, gets his 7 footer off the roof, starts suiting up and says something about forgetting his hood and being cold. I said it didn't matter, you're not going to be duck diving one foot waves.

Guy says "I gotta surf, I just drove three hours. It's supposed to be 3 feet!"

Micah...guy who runs forecast part of this website was on the other side of the parking lot for the beach cleanup...I told the dude who just drove three hours:

"The surf forecast complaint department is right over there" and pointed. He just stared at me confused and paddled out for 45 minutes.

12. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    The Automobile or the skateboard or the bike with a surf rack

13. La_Piedra

Oct 9, 2017
    It was probably 3’ down the beach...the one without a parking lot.

When I was working out in DC it took almost 3 hours to get to OCMD. If the surf was crap, I didn’t go out. I don’t have any fun in shoddy surf, so I don’t quite understand the mindset that Long Drive = Must Go Out. I’d eat at the restaurants and check out the surf shops and hang out at the beach or in town and spend money and make a day of it.

Of course those days were rare because SwellInfo is the Diamond Standard of surf fuckasting.

DawnPatrol321 and Kyle like this.
  14. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    The Skil 100 Planer.

LBCrew and Barry Cuda like this.
  15. Banned for being awesome

Banned for being awesome Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2012
    The movie Jaws. Without Jaws there would be thousands more people willing to go out in the water beyond their waste.

Notaseal likes this.
  16. La_Piedra

Oct 9, 2017
    #fecalmatter

DawnPatrol321 likes this.
  17. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Best surfing invention is the shortboard, from wayne lynch 7'6" late 1960's to early '80's simon thruster, and everything that happened in between to lay the foundation.

18. beachbreak

Apr 7, 2008
    Bike with board under my arm is best.

antoine likes this.
  19. beachbreak

Apr 7, 2008
    Death to all non-locals.

20. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Unless they do a pre surf beach clean up and stay way off the peak.

Notaseal likes this.