Worst Surfing invention

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by grainofsand, Apr 12, 2019.

1. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    FCS Fusion is actually the strongest in my humble opinion. Never had a problem with them but have had issues with Originals, IIs and Futures.

LBCrew likes this.
  2. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I've done a lot of FCS plug (originals and 2s) replacements, and I would argue a properly installed and reinforced plug... with a properly routed and scribed H pattern hole with a proper deck-to-bottom connection... AND reinforced deck and bottom patches, per the manufacturer's installation instructions... using the proper tools... was a good system, not prone to failure. In fact, I've never replaced a properly installed plug out of a PU board.

I have, however, replaced many, many IMPROPERLY installed plugs, and plugs that totally melted out EPS cores due to excessive exotherm of epoxy. I saw this most with boards coming out of Asian factories. They would not follow the proper install steps, and use the wrong tools, leaving too much space in the hole or not fully connecting the deck and bottom skins... and not reinforced with patches on both sides. These plugs would fail constantly.

So... what I'm saying is... the newer Fusion system was an improvement because it was pre-glass and less prone to installation F-ups. That in itself was an improvement in design. The plugs required too many tools, too much time, and a high degree of craftsmanship. That in itself... is bad design.

3. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Same experience here.

4. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    I don’t know if I’d be more pissed about a fin box cracking, or a leash plug pulling out...on a big day.

Mad props to the craftsmen who do it right the first time

5. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    climbing up my list is the shaka sign

6. Wavestrom

Wavestrom Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Yes, it's too bad all those longboards were invented [checks notes] decades before shortboards.

I get your point of course about expertise but it sounds goofy when written down. When the waves are decent for both kinds of boards (long/short) I see equal amounts of idiots on both.

7. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    The re-emergence of the longboard really did suck. People shouldn't be allowed to ride them unless they are over 50 or are female and only in waves less than stomach high.

rodndtube likes this.
  8. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    No ofcourse. I having nothing against LBs. My point was a LB or SUP allow people to catch waves easier than a SB. Meaning the kooks on those crafts may be catching waves due to a ton of volume. Put that same guy with only a year surfing under his belt on a SB and he might catch a few waves. On a LB they catch alot more, and once caught don't have the skill to control the thing.

A guy who can ride a board of any size or nature, with skill, is a thing of beauty and gets my respect.

9. curl

curl Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    LB and CJ , the problem was the the box was so strong , the fins never broke the tabs, the box came out. The original were a quick fix, the fusion s were a process. Fill the hole , reroute, sand , glass , sand . As one who has done 500gs fixing boards in 15 years, I have done a few myself. Its the last thing I would desire traveling with is those fusions. The future s issue I saw was the bottom breaks , and the water streams in not knowing to the user. Add in eps and the futures can suck water forever like a sponge.

jaklsurfs and La_Piedra like this.
  10. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Solid point.

I'd also add that the tab... designed as a breakaway feature... never worked like it was supposed to. 9 times out of 10 the plug or box failed before the fin tabs. And that's not what was supposed to happen.

Last point... People who think they break fins or boxes doing hard turns are overestimating their skill level. The reality is, most of the time boxes/plugs fail when the fin hits something.

11. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2018
    If you hit something while surfing, you are doing it wrong.....

Zeroevol and Notaseal like this.
  12. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    ...or you're just a bumbler handling your board.

antoine likes this.
  13. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    #1 selling board in the world

DosXX and antoine like this.
  14. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Wrong.
    Army corps of engineers

Kyle likes this.
  15. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Disagree 1000% on that one. They create the best waves around.

16. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Anyone that surfed Sebastian Inlet in the 90's would strongly disagree.

metard, sisurfdogg and DawnPatrol321 like this.
  17. Yankkee

Yankkee Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2017
    I know a chica who has an incredible finbox

Zeroevol, MrBigglesworth and Notaseal like this.
  18. KOOKamungya

KOOKamungya Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2014
    Daddy's beach condo

MrBigglesworth and La_Piedra like this.
  19. ChavezyChavez

ChavezyChavez Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Every single kite surfer I've ever encountered has been a D-bag. Haven't meant a decent one yet.

20. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    I’d be in bad mood if I had to lug around all that damn equipment too lol

ChavezyChavez, Kyle and Notaseal like this.