Worst Surfing invention

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by grainofsand, Apr 12, 2019.

1. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    New guys sound a little salty.

Salty is good

FWIW, the Army Corps of Engineers is not concerned about how the bars and bottoms are affected. Their only concern is to engineer solutions to logistical problems.

We have a break here that was created inside the harbor entrance, but has "died" and turned into a steep monstrous shorepound about 5 years ago. In it's day, it was a fast hollow peak that broke close to shore...a rarity around here.

The Army Corps regularly dredged the harbor and would dump outside the break, which may or may not be the reason for the hollow bars. But they stopped dumping there, and the bars went away. And their reply was, "their only responsibility is to maintain the navigation of the harbor". And the last time I checked, only Australia has really invested any time and money towards making beaches better for surfing.

So the Army Corps is probably batting around .500, they probably screw up as many breaks as they turn on. These guys created The Wedge, but in the process they killed a legendary break named Corona Del Mar.

They can't all be gems

ChavezyChavez likes this.
  2. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Wrong.
    Sorry charlie.
    Man's wisdom is folly.
    They ruin everything.
    The enemy of good is better.

Superstorm sandy made our beaches like they used to be before jetties/groins, inside outside racetrack shorebreak long peeling beachbreaks.

Best i ever saw it here, from november 2012 - june 2013 was 8 months of perfect sandbars.

Then i had chemotherapy and it went flat all summer and it never came back like that since.

We called the one sandbar sandy point. It was perfect.

sisurfdogg and La_Piedra like this.

3. curl

curl Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Army corp of Bozo s. 1.5 billion spent om beach destruction . The bitch in charge of the DEAL project was sent packing for completing a mile with live munitions. To remedy the issue , they came back dug into hard packed sand to look for fuses that were in mortars.It was insult to injury .

4. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    That's true... but not right. They should care, as should we all. It's about preservation of natural resources... and recreational resources... and wildlife resources... and economic resources... in addition to ratables, infrastructure and private property. I think the "only concern" perspective is short sighted when there's so much else at stake.

sisurfdogg and goofy footer like this.
  5. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Just came across this photo on insta from yesterday brought to you by Mikesshoreshots and the US Army Corps

Capture.JPG

La_Piedra likes this.
  6. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Do you even paddle out at that spot or do you just walk till your in knee deep water and then wait for the wave? :cool:

7. ukelelesurf

ukelelesurf Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2007
    go pro
    foil board
    laird

SCOB3YVILLE and La_Piedra like this.
  8. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Nobody on it?

9. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    This past winter the dredge in Manaloking yielded many barrels.

10. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2018

That would be such a nice ride!!
    I mean the tractor of course.....

MrBigglesworth likes this.
  11. beachbreak

Apr 7, 2008
    And destroyed every other break

12. beachbreak

Apr 7, 2008
    And if they left it all alone forever it would all be so much better.
    You think you know, but you don't know.

13. smitty517

smitty517 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
    ACOE beach replenishment is a scam. This one is a pure money maker. The State govs "tax" all federal dollars including beach replenishment. The State doesn't care if it works or not. All they care about is the dollars they get to take off the top!

14. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    i'd bring out the beater boart n a first aid kit

15. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Silly names, and cartoon characters for every surfboard these days.

"i'm trying to decide between the 5'7" Cheddar Jack Potato Launcher with the fiber torsion X suspension or maybe a Puddle Jumper HP 5'8" but in the Bro-formance dimensions oh and I want it Lib-Tech with super sap resin"

16. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    I got a good chuckle out of that one. :D

17. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    That's funny. I have a ...lost "uber driver".

Love the board. But i absolutely refuse to call it "uber driver". Stupid effing name.

18. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    How about the “Rusty Coquesucker”, anybody have one of those in their quiver? :eek:

Zeroevol likes this.
  19. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Here he is ... I found him

[​IMG]

20. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2018
    The reason for that is because surfers are........???