cold fingers?

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by JDallam, Jan 18, 2010.

1. JDallam

JDallam Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    anyone elses fingers get way cold? i got an idea for you, put latex gloves on underneath your gloves and your fingers should stay nice and toasty.
    ________
    silversurfer reviews

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  2. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    Thanks man! My finger get real bad. I'm going to grab a bunch from the OR tomorrow.

3. wbsurfer

wbsurfer Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2008
    i just got some new rip curl 2mm e bob gloves which are an upgrade from my oneill 1.5 mm. so lets see how these new gloves do.

4. r donofrio

r donofrio Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2009
    my fingers got really cold today:D:D

5. terra-firma intolerant

terra-firma intolerant Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2008
    e bob?

I have O'neill 3mm, they're awesome, the squiggly grippers keeps your sleeve rolling up.

6. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I got the O'neil 5 mil Lobster mits and I have to say they are the warmest mits I have owned . They have this lip inside them that keeps the water out and they are textured on the bottom of the mit so they have nice grip

7. matt720

matt720 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    i have those too. they have been keeping me warm for two years best gloves i ever had

8. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    same here but this year my fingers got cold. must be an age thing.:mad:

9. stoneybaloney

stoneybaloney Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    Take some ginko for better circulation to the extremities. :D

10. CSB

CSB Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    those who are getting cold should try 5mm mits. All four fingers in one compartment. I had some O'Neill mits and they got the job done in the coldest water.
    Wetsuit technology has taken some leaps in the past two years or so. so if you're still rockin older gloves, new ones with the same mm should be much warmer...

11. Retzlaff44

Retzlaff44 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Got out of the water yesterday and went and bought a pair of Xcel 7mm mitts after completely losing the feeling in my fingers - you know, to the point where they hurt.

What was it about yesterday? My 5mm Rip Curl F-bombs gloves had really been doing the job this winter.

Agreed pumpmaster, age does not help this issue. I think it is a circulation thing, and for me at this point (just months away from being eligible for an AARP card...very scary), I just hate being cold anymore.

12. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    yeah. i hate when you get to the point of pain cause you know the warm up is going to hurt even worse!!!

13. grande gallo

grande gallo Member

Nov 14, 2009
    I've got a pair of O'Neil 5mm gloves and thus far this winter they've been good.
    This morning my hands were fine, but then this afternoon my right fingers were killing me, but the left were fine. I don't get it.
    I just bought the gloves in like the beginning of November, and they're working out okay, but I've already got two slice-like holes in one of them. The weld in between my thumb and fingers also looks like its starting to rip a bit. Neoprene cement?

14. staystoked

staystoked Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    did you ever put this idea of your to the test ??? bc i dnt see how that could make such a diffrence .... and did any 1 else out there try this please let me know bc i got a cast of the cold fingers

15. davincimoon

davincimoon Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Why does the onset of Hypothermia have to be so cold? What a bummer...

16. capesurfer

capesurfer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2007
    i might try it this afternoon. my fingers were to the point of pain yesterday, where i was forcing myself to stay in the water. i was wearing brand new 5 mil xcel drylocks...but, i'm gonna invest in 7 mm lobsters after yesterday.

strange, i never had this problem to this extreme before. i'm in my mid twenties! sheeeeeeet

17. Retzlaff44

Retzlaff44 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    It seems that a number of us who are having finger issues are surfing in the Delmarva region (I was out in OC on Monday).

Maybe the water is really colder than what than what's being reported? Or there are colder layers of water?

I'm really grasping here, but the DE/MD connection is interesting.

Anyway, I picked up my 7mm Xcel mitts at Chauncey's. Malibu's only had X-tra large (but were expecting more), and K-Coast didn't have any mitts at all. Only lobster claws.

18. capesurfer

capesurfer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2007
    alternative hypothesis: maybe the new gloves i got suck ahha

19. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Gloves are always colder than mitts. I have a Pair of 5 mil gloves and my hands are done after 2hours depending on temp. When I were my 5 mil lobster my hands are will last as long as I stay out.

You might wanna go to the Dr's you might have poor blood circulation

20. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I think everyone is just different...i surfed 2 hours monday in OCMD in a year old pair of xcel 5 mm drylock gloves that have seen much better days. My hands were fine. But i agree w/ you the water is cold as hell right now...even tho i was comfy in my suit my face was cold on the duck dives.