Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by nopantsLance, Apr 17, 2019.

1. nopantsLance

nopantsLance Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2016
    LongIslandBro likes this.
  2. nopantsLance

Aug 15, 2016

3. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2018
    I must have had my brain occupied with poop.
    I could not get my iMac to properly hook into the stream. Wonder what I did wrong as I would have liked to watch some of this.
    Maybe I should go U2B......

DawnPatrol321 and Yankkee like this.
  4. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Watching live is cool when the waves are good and your just hanging out. I get aggravated listening to the commentators though. But YouTube has heat recaps. Basically every wave surfed plus it's replay. Condense the heats down to 8-12 min. That's how i watch alot of the time. Alot less cringe that way.

DawnPatrol321 likes this.
  5. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Do as Bassmon says and YouTube the recap or pull it up on the WSL app or website. And then U2B urslef.

6. LongIslandBro

LongIslandBro Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2017
    Ya know how sometimes when you like a girl you try not to be too obvious about it?
    But the WSL is def courting the Rabid Brazzo fan base. It’s an emerging market. $$$$$$$$$$

7. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Just like the UFC

8. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Those two upside down, air drop, backside re-entries by GM were way under-scored in relation to the scale of the heat. Those were extremely high risk manuvers in the critical part of the wave executed flawlessly. JJ's two fairly safe scoring rides were over-scored by a full point each. JMHO

9. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    I hear ya CJ. Medina did have two critical backside floaters but he then just milked it to inside. Seemed like JJ had a couple of extra turns on his scoring waves and I believe a couple of those layback rips into the lip where sick (coupled with the extra snaps). Scoring in these shows is never a perfect science huh?

10. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    JJ's frontside turns just don't impress me even a little bit in comparison to those backside re-entries that GM did. With the way the scale ended up being in that heat both of GM's waves deserved high 8's.

11. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I thought JJ surfed very well, and probably deserved to win the contest overall. He brought fast powerful surfing to a wave where that was going to get scored highly by the judging criteria. I also thought Medina and possibly even Toledo surfed well enough to win and agree that Medina's upside down backside turns were as lethal and critical as anything in the contest. At some point, it seemed to me JJ was hitting that layback closeout hack a few too many times but i guess the judges didn't care that he was ending every wave the same way because they kept rewarding it.

nopantsLance and antoine like this.
  12. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    To me the surfing of the regular footed surfers on finals day was all way too safe and quite frankly boring. Every one of them pretty much stuck to safe, predictable and repetitive turns. I didn't see anything from the regular footed surfers on finals day that jumped out at me as spectacular. Medina's backside approach was more critical and higher risk but was not rewarded by the judges.

Overall the finals were weak given the conditions. I expected more out of these guys. I guess when the conditions don't fit airs or barrels this crop of pros is kind of lost. In those conditions the top surfers of the 80s and 90s would have surfed it just as well or even better.

13. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Tom Curren's surfing would have been a thing of beauty on that wave, connecting powerful flowing turns, and would have been rewarded by today's judges with 5's.

14. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Do you think Curren or Occy would have been hopping to connect turns like a couple of guys were doing?

15. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Simon A would have taken those guys out

LongIslandBro and antoine like this.
  16. KillinMeSmalls

KillinMeSmalls Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2014
    Want to start getting a pool of money starting in Bali? $10/entry, don't have to participate, but only those putting money in can take the winnings. It could all be done through PayPal or Venmo. Thoughts from those who joined the league?

antoine likes this.
  17. nopantsLance

Aug 15, 2016

I agree with the judges

18. sisurfdogg

Jun 17, 2013
    Tough call but it appeared to me JJF pulled bigger moves in more critical sections of the wave, especially the first couple sections, then he would flow smoothly to the inside juice and nailed it there too. Medina played it safer on the takeoff/bottom turn/off the lip reentry combo compared to the Hawaiian. JJ went for broke from the get go.

19. JohnnyCornstarch

JohnnyCornstarch Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2015
    I'd be down for something like that.

20. sisurfdogg

Jun 17, 2013
    I have Zelle but no way, not here. Give me a PO Box I'll send you a postal money order or a $10 gift card lol.