Sunny Garcia

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by aka pumpmaster, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2018

2. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Wow, did not know he was having issues. I remember a Donovan Frankenriter interview when he talked about his first trip to Hawaii and how Sunny took him under his wing. Same thing with Matt Archibold in the movie Archie. Built for Speed. Sunny took him around his first trip.
    Then there was that other side Oipaul mentioned. he could go beyond localism into straight out thuggery.
    I think that's the Hawaiin dilemma. Anyone who's spent time there knows what I mean. I have been shown true Aloha spirit many times, and there were times when South Chicago felt safer.
    Anyhow. I was always glad when Sunny did well, it just seemed right a Hawaiian should be up there. Always loved his style of power surfing.
    Great part in the Archie movie was when they were talking about airs, and Sunny was pretty self deprecating about his lack of skills.
    Depression is a bitch. Sounds like he's been struggling for a while.

headhigh likes this.
  3. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    I have that movie, it's pretty good.

Manik likes this.
  4. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Just saw it a few weeks ago, I liked it, didn't know his story

DawnPatrol321 likes this.
  5. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    The question is, is he the same Archy we all know and love here on SI (wherever he is)? :D

6. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Instead of "taking sets on the head", is it possible that total exhaustion + holding your breath repeatedly for moderate to long periods of time can create a state of hypoxia?

And creating this situation repeatedly could harm or kill critical brain cells, leading to CRY or similar malady?

Can't tell you how many times I thought I was gonna black out in the lineup

headhigh and SCOB3YVILLE like this.
  7. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    I think it's possible that could contribute to some issues. Maybe a combination of all of the above.

desandan likes this.
  8. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Sunny-Garcia.jpg

Tell me this doesn't make you feel like a 98lb weakling.

9. La_Piedra

Oct 9, 2017
    One of the most powerful surfers of any generation. Unfortunately, he was on the pro circuit at a time when flicky, floaty and spinny were judged higher.

Kinda like now

LBCrew and ChavezyChavez like this.
  10. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Iv thought about this. Seems like a logical possibility.

Sort of off topic. And morbid. But damn man. Trying to commit suicide by hanging sounds so gnarly to me. I mean it's my understanding that a noose is supposed to break your neck. But i can't imagine that being the case in these suicide hangings. Seems like such a horrendous and painful way to go. Making yourself bleed out, purposely ODing, shooting yourself.... all seem so much better to me.

I realize that sounds dumb. And i say this with all due respect. Killing yourself or even just the attempt is a terribly sad situation. And there is no good way of doing it. It's all bad. But when i hear about a hanging i can't help but think that the person was troubled far far beyond my comprehension. To choose that method.... you don't care about making it quick. You don't care about the pain. All you care about is the end result.

I apologize for the morbid comment.

11. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    It doesn't break your neck unless done "correctly", think old school hangings when they fall first and then it snaps when the rope runs out of length. It's usually more like getting choked out due to lack of blood / oxygen to the brain, depending on what they use and how they use it. Chris Cornell used an exercise band if I recall. You pass out and then never wake up. Doesn't seem too bad except for the initial struggle but once you're out, you're out. I've been choked out before, on purpose. Luckily I woke up though.

12. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    watched some sunny last night before i crashed out. the soundtrack sucked. any sunny involved movies to look into? knew about him, but never seen too much of him to know he rode. was watching momentum generation again last night before the bandwidth went to sht

13. ukelelesurf

ukelelesurf Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Whoa... Whoa... WHOA.... I grew up on the Southside. Have some respect!

Nah actually the south and west sides of Chicago are gnarly had quite a few crazy things happen in my years there.

14. La_Piedra

Oct 9, 2017
    What if it was "suicide by hanging" a la Michael Hutchence ?

15. Barry Cuda

Nov 19, 2018
    Know this: this will not be his last attempt at suicide.

16. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Are you sure? Do we even know if he's going to make it? Has anybody heard anything?

17. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Nah man. You know, i train judo/bjj. I literally get choked by guys who outweigh me by 100LBs on a daily basis. Going out isn't bad at all like you mentioned. That's not the painful part. But getting choked by a human and having your entire body weight squeezing your neck by some rope or makeshift noose are two very diffrent things. You don't get that type of pressure with a dude's arms.

Its irrelevant really. Sunny it's a favorite of mine and i hope he gets through it. In my mind it's just the fact that he tried hanging that makes it extra ear-y (how the eff do you spell that. Just tried for like 5 min. Can't figure it out) for me.

18. Barry Cuda

Nov 19, 2018
    Yeah, he was one of the FEW competitors I liked best. I also liked how he handled the crowds and the moron surfing tourists that came to drop in on him.

19. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Totally agree, if he did it the old fashion noose way that is indeed ear-E (that's for you). No telling what he used though so hard to speculate. The exercise band that Chris Cornell used probably put him out pretty quick like a blood choke. Doesn't take much.