Worst Surfing invention

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by grainofsand, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Losttsol

Losttsol Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2013
    upload_2019-6-19_9-15-20.png

Yes, this is wrong on many levels.

MrBigglesworth, La_Piedra and DosXX like this.
  2. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Seemed strange at first. Used it and a scraper to remove old wax from a couple boards last week, and it worked great.

3. MrBigglesworth

MrBigglesworth Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2018
    Worst one? Swellinfo fucast - only works for colorblind people now.
    I’m screwed

smitty517, LBCrew and nopantsLance like this.
  4. grainofsand

grainofsand Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2014
    ^I guess it depends on your definition of what "surf" and "surfing" is. There's been a shin-high glassy inside ripple everyday at 1st St VB but quickly gets covered by the high tide. Pig boards, spoons and LBs can get 1 or 2 pumps before crumbles, closeouts, or fin on the sand snags. But I definitely don't consider that surf or surfing, so I agree with the forecast here.

5. grainofsand

grainofsand Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2014
    I wonder how many times that guy fell backwards

6. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Try a scraper followed by a wipe down with WD40. Magic. Gets rid of wax and the dirty residue from wetsuit gloves and boots too. Scrape the bulk of the wax off. Wet paper towel with WD and wipe board down and you will see that it quickly converts the wax and grime to an oily substance. Now just wipe with dry paper towels to polish the residue off. I'll follow up by washing with liquid dish soap. Leaves board looking as close to new as you can get. You can use the spray but the liquid form works even better. A cap full of liquid will clean a typical shortboard. A gallon is $20-$25 and it lasts for years. Much more cost effective than any of the wax removers the surf shops sell and works as well or better than any of them.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    DosXX, La_Piedra and DawnPatrol321 like this.
  7. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    I recently had some tar residue on my truck and purchased some goo be gone spray. I have since used it to clean wax off of three boards and works like a charm. Similar process to above wd-40 method. I like the wide spray bottle.

DosXX, La_Piedra and DawnPatrol321 like this.
  8. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    That stuff works.

9. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    I'd be careful with the goo be gone. Haven't tried it on a board but my recollectionin using it for other things is that stuff is pretty harsh. Not saying it doesn't work but you could run into some unintended consequences. Thinking along the lines of if the board has an acrylic finish or if you get it on the edges of a trac pad that it could damage the adhesive.

One other thing I forgot to mention on the WD40 is that it will make a grungy looking traction pad look like new. Even a white one. Put it on a cloth rag and scrub the traction pad. Then use a dry rag to get the rest off. Clean the final residue off with dish soap.

La_Piedra likes this.
  10. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    I read the product info and went online...seemed like it was safe for most surfaces, including fiberglass. Definitely keep it away from Trac pad (it is an adhesive remover). I forgot to mention the citrus smell...bonus. No doubt wd40 works well, just an alternative. I would think wd40 would or could remove adhesive too. I used goo on two poly boards and epoxy. Hopefully I don’t have any long term issues but they seem to wax up and ride the same.

DosXX and DawnPatrol321 like this.
  11. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Never had an issue with it. I typically use it to get the old traction pad and all it’s adhesive off and then I clean it real good with dish soap and then apply new traction pad. I have cleaned several boarts completely and no issues. Both poly and epoxy.

DosXX likes this.
  12. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    I've tried WD40 for removing trac pad adhesive and it doesn't even touch it. The best household item I've found for that stuff is mineral spirits.

13. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    +1 mineral spirits.