new bort

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by StarfishOrifice, Jul 10, 2019.

1. NNYNJ

NNYNJ Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2017
    I will not like this post based on principle... But I like it

capecodcdog and La_Piedra like this.
  2. ChavezyChavez

ChavezyChavez Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    I like Asians of the female variety

nopantsLance and La_Piedra like this.

3. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    #9/12

capecodcdog and La_Piedra like this.
  4. oipaul

oipaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2006
    Btw, have you SEEN the ravioli starfish?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sisurfdogg likes this.
  5. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Starfish are banned until further notice

6. smitty517

smitty517 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
    It's cool that some dudes on here know alot about all the different shapes, channels etc. I also like to discuss design.

With that being said, for me, it comes down to feel. Over the years I've learned that form rarely equates to intention. As such, I keep what works and sell what doesnt. I cant explain the subtleties of the shape.

7. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I'm more interested in down the line speed in a twin keel fish than looseness. I feel like these boards come alive in fast lined up stomach to shoulder high surf that call for drawn out turns and easy board speed. I want a normal squash tail shortboard to be loose to whip around, not so much a twin keel fish.

With speed in mind, the channels make some sense to me on that kind of board.

La_Piedra likes this.
  8. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Hahahahaha!! Another good one. Surgeons took out the kidney that was chock full of drug remains from my youth!!

9. capecodcdog

capecodcdog Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Maybe the gall bladder is next to dial you back down to normal levels. :cool:

Glad you are getting better Mr Cuda.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  10. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    And that's one of the big draws for me, as a board builder.

When I ran a board building course, I used to tell my students, "All boards work... they just may not work the way you intended them to work." As a board designer and builder, you know you've reached a degree of proficiency when you begin to consistently design and build boards that work as intended. But there's a difference between being proficient, and being a "master shaper"...

Let's say you like the way a board responds when you shift your weight slightly to the front foot... but you don't like the way the rail engages in the tube. So on your next board, you tweak the rail to do what you think you want, and the rail does, indeed, do what you wanted it to now. But unexpectedly... you lost some down the line speed when you move your weight forward. Why? What does changing the shape or volume of the rail have to do with how the board accelerates when your weight shifts forward? The connection between the two might not be direct... it might be indirect, and have something to do with rocker... or volume... or foil.

You might be a good board designer/builder and get a lot of pleasure out of riding your own boards, have fun learning as you go, and stoking your friends and family with new sticks. But until you start to see all of the different design elements as one interconnected system - the whole board as a single entity of compound curves and interactive forces - do you really become a master shaper. Some of us will NEVER get there. Some of us think we're there, but we're really not. And some of us... very few of us... ever achieve that level of mastery.

But it sure is fun trying...

11. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Reminds me of Organic Chemistry. In laboratory, when you prepare to do something like an Frieden-Crafts alkylation, for instance, you need to go first with the "Theoretical Yield" (ie do the math to calculate outcome) , then, you do the lab work itself and come up with the "Actual Yield".

12. capecodcdog

capecodcdog Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2012
    O Barry, you triggered some memories .. i.e., knowing the limiting reagent and the reagent in excess .. It used to drive my lab partner crazy when I'd rough measure the latter, knowing if we had our measurements/calculations accurate on the former, our results / yield would be correct. :cool:

13. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    My wife is a pastry chef - it's almost the same thing, precise measurements, prerequisite temperatures, properre blending of air to liquid, etc. But then like smitty517 sez, to get the best results, ultimately it comes down to feel. She always said you gotta break a few eggs to make an omelette.