medical advise

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by cepriano, Jul 12, 2019.

1. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    so if some of u recall I asked about chronic heartburn a while back.i remember people saying don't take zantac,take something like Prilosec.iv tried it all Nexium,prilosec,zantac,pepsid and whatever else is out there.the drink...

so like 3 months ago I came home from work and idk had a panic attack which felt like a heart attack from the heartburn,couldnt eat,couldnt swallow anything,couldnt drink water,nothing.i try to chill out,cant even smoke bud,like on the edge of feeling like death.that day I ended up going to the er like 11pm and id say the attack happened around 5.tightness of chest,cant swallow,rapid heart rate.so I go they diagnose me with gerd,gave me some meds and scheduled me for endoscopy.

get the endoscopy,i got ulcers in my esophagus and stomach.im currently taking pantoprozole and sucralfate.it definitely helped with my heart burn,its been pretty moderate,but I still have this feeling of difficulty swallowing,like something stuck in my throat.i go for an advanced radium swallow thing tomorrow so they can see whats going on.already did it once,now I have to do with food.

just curious if anyone ever dealt with these issues with the difficulty swallowing and how it went away and how long it takes.iv been on these meds like 3 months already.it really affects my daily life,seriously feels like a heart attack.iv been to the er 3 times already for the exact same thing

Betty likes this.
  2. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012

3. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    I feel like the only thing that really helps my throat is swimming in the water,like it rinses out my sinuses or something.i swim every single day since start of summer.its good exercise but I feel like it really helps my throat

Betty likes this.
  4. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    [​IMG]

Not quite like that, but I was diagnosed with GERD last fall during a physical and followup with a gastroenterologist. Had an endoscopy done during which they found acid scarring in my lower esophagus. They also stretched, diameter-wise, a portion of my esophagus.

For years, I had problems with gastro-reflux while sleeping as well as food getting stuck partway down, forming a logjam of sorts, resulting in chest pain and the need to burp, hick-up and even vomit to get the food out. Often it was chicken, turkey, or hotdogs. Also, acidic foods and drinks such as OJ, spicy pasta sauces and salad dressings frequently created almost instant heartburn.

I was proscribed omeprazole (aka Prilosec) taken daily indefinitely. It definitely works, but the possible side effect of long term daily usage is the drug prohibiting the absorption certain nutrients such as calcium, folic acid and B12. I take it every other day.
    Apparently this can be a hereditary condition. My Dad had it.

Betty and capecodcdog like this.
  5. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Cep,
    Sounds to me as if you may have Barretts Syndrome. Your symptoms describe fit it perfectly. Good you are following up on it--do what they tell you to do.
    Look up Barretts in merckmanual.com , best medical book out online.

6. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Barry,
    Isn’t swellinfo.com the best medical book out there???
    We have many PHDs in hand to offer the worlds number 1 medical advise

Betty, sisurfdogg, NICAfiend and 2 others like this.
  7. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Sometimes we even go fishing together...
    [​IMG]

8. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    So i got no advice. The ulcers and throat thing... i got nothing. But you mentioned feeling like your having a heart attack. Iv dealt with that feeling recently.

Maybe a year, year and a half ago. At work and started feeling weird. Fast heart rate. Breathing heavy. Felt like i had a irregular heart beat. Im 29 now so i was maybe 28 then. I wrote it off to having a energy drink. A week later same thing. Again after an energy drink. I stopped. No more energy drinks. No more caffeine except for the rare coffe before a surf. Got zapped with 240 volts at work maybe a month or two ago. Had chest pains which were muscle related. But it was too much of a coincidence. Got checked out. EKG showed a weird "blip". Got a echogram. A sonogram of my heart. Turns out my heart skips beats and also i have leaky valves. Nothing serious as im young and healthy. But somthing too keep an eye on as i get older. A older co worker had leaky valves since he was in his 20s. In his 60s it got to the point where he needed surgery and got the valve replaced. Any way, apparently stress and caffeine can make that skipped heart beat worse. Must of been what i was feeling a year ago.

Don't think this helps you at all. You've been diagnosed and we got two diffrent things. But figured id just throw that out there. Not sure if that heart attack feeling is normal for your condition. If it's not, it might be worth just getting the ticker looked at.

DonQ and Betty like this.
  9. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Its marriage women will kill you. Bass didn't you get engaged around that time?

10. capecodcdog

capecodcdog Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Cep, what Barry and DosXX said. I had a bout with GERD in my early/mid 40's. There was a combination of stress (work related) and possibly physiological changes that brought it on (IMHO). Prior to that, I pretty much had an "Iron Gullet" and could eat/drink anything / anytime. Then, like bang, I was broke!

Typically what happens (in some cases, mine in particular) is the lower esophageal sphincter is not working properly, and is letting the stomach acid (which is needed for proper digestion to occur), to leak into the esophagus, burning this area.

The Dr prescribed Nexium (a proton pump inhibitor -> acid reduction), which I took for approximately 6 months. It gave me time to make "lifestyle" changes (physically, mentally, spiritually) and allow things to heal. I dialed back my coffee, seltzer water, acidic foods, and avoided food later at night (initially had to sleep propped up, to use gravity to keep acid down) so that it was well digested before I laid down. Also, if your belt is too tight, this can be a problem (lose some center girth ;)). I also made some adjustments at work to better manage the stress.

Eventually I reached the point where I did not want to be on this pill the rest of my life, and a friend who was into a lot of "natural stuff" gave me an article on GERD and the use of probiotics, which aid the digestive process. So I was able to eventually get off Nexium and manage the situation.

The spiritual component was trusting God with some of the "high pressure" things in life that were stressing me out, realizing, that, though I don't deserve it, by the mystery of His goodness and grace, He has my back, even if I were to "slip up" in these high pressure areas. I realized this one day when I randomly read in the Psalms, 'When I thought, "My foot slips,” your steadfast love, O Lord, held me up.', which was very liberating. Although I was putting forth a diligent effort, mistakes and issues were going to happen, and trusting God's provision (& safety net) through these things was necessary, otherwise I was going to internalized it and burn out, literally from inside out.

That is my story. I would try the Nexium/Prilosec, or whatever the medicine men prescribe, and look to make some lifestyle and dietary changes. Identify and manage any stressful areas in your life, and make the feasible and appropriate adjustments. Hopefully in time you will heal.

I hope this helps and that you get better soon.

The ear that hears the rebukes of life
    Will abide among the wise.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    DosXX, Betty and sisurfdogg like this.
  11. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Had the exact same thing, and procedure. Doc called it a stricture caused by scarring in the pipes... a bad case of "acid reflux" I guess. Ballooned it out, prescribed Nexium, and I've been fine ever since. I don't think I could push anymore lifestyle changes... and maybe my relationship with God ain't what it should be. So... I'm stuck on the pill for life. Every time I run out and go a few days without it I start feeling the symptoms again. Until that procedure, I had no idea the people felt good after they ate. I thought heartburn was a normal feeling... "everybody feels like this... it's not a problem." I got to the point where I was eating at least a roll of Rollaids a day... at least. Then the choking on food started happening and my wife sent me to the doctor.

DosXX, Betty and capecodcdog like this.
  12. capecodcdog

capecodcdog Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2012
    LB, when it first hit me, in the middle of the night, I thought it was a heart attack, it was intense pain in my chest, even though I knew it wasn't. I could not sleep, and all I knew was to try to "walk it off". So there I was, at 2am, walking around my block several time, with my dog, and I tried to sleep upright in the lazy boy. This was a Saturday, so I was sleepless by Monday when I saw a doctor. My wife had given me an H2 blocker, which helped some. It wasn't until the Nexium started to work that I started to feel better.

I don't take anything now, about 16 years later, but I do watch what and when I eat, and cannot go above 3 cups o' joe, else I will start to feel it starting.

So I realize I am very fortunate that in my case it is managable, but this is not always the case. Thank goodness for effective meds.

And regarding the "relationship with God" thing, with me, it always a work in progress...

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    DosXX and Betty like this.
  13. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    My doctor told me if it wasn't for wives, he'd have to shut it down.

I'm seriously wondering if anyone has tried CBD yet to alleviate digestive issues. A puff of good weed helps me in the am, but I'd like a more long lasting therapy, without the lung burn. I've heard it can quell the gut inflammation. I already do greek yogurt in the am for probiotics, it helps. And only 2 cups of coffee per day, other wise it's problematic. But I eat rich foods and it gives me trouble at night with heartburn and acid reflux in the am

Here is an emergency thing I do when the heartburn is really bad at night - 1 half teaspoon of baking soda in a half cup of water, stir good so it dissolves totally. Drink it! Then make sure you give out a good belch within a couple minutes. Don't lay back down till you do. It's old school but it works temporarily if you are in pain. Not recommended for two days in a row, as it is a bit harsh.

DosXX, capecodcdog and Betty like this.
  14. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Protonix is a great choice.
    It sounds like Barrett’s Esophagus— good you caught it now to stop the GERD as it can develop into esophageal cancer if unchecked.
    Examine your lifestyle choices and make changes that improve your food, your sleep, your stress level— it may or may not be a factor, but it doesnt hurt to make better choices (Mom says)

GERD can make life miserable, nothing to write off either. Find a doc you trust and seems good at his or her profession, and do what doc says to do...

DosXX, sisurfdogg and capecodcdog like this.
  15. Barry Cuda

Nov 19, 2018
    Concern: We have not heard from Cep since his original post.
    Cep....talk to us!

16. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    He’s alive, posted about it elsewhere. Check your messages btw.

17. Barry Cuda

Nov 19, 2018
    Tried signing up and in--will not recognize my given password. So, once it starts that crap, I am done. I did everything correct, and still it refuses me entry and wants me to go through all the password garbage. Phuck 'em. Done. No more.

DawnPatrol321 likes this.
  18. Valhallalla

Valhallalla Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Uh oh, looks like Barry is off his meds and getting agitated again.

Betty, SCOB3YVILLE and DawnPatrol321 like this.
  19. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Don’t worry I got you covered.

20. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    I hope all is well Cep.
    This all sounds too familiar to me. I was diagnosed with a duodenal ulcer which caused the same symptoms as you described.
    The first time it happened it scared the world out of me thinking it was a heart attack. It happened while I was asleep which is usually on my stomach. I sat up,
    tried to regulate my breathing which was very shallow and my chest and upper back felt like it was in a vice. It scared the hell into me.
    I was diagnosed. The doc put me on Nexium and told me to change my diet. It helped. I completely cut out carbonated anything’s, eased up considerably on dairy and chocolate stuffs, greasy stuffs and eventually chucked the nexiums because I didn’t want to rely on a drugs to make myself well. I get that with the ganja.
    Eventually, they became less frequent and now it’s not an issue. Thank dog!
    Try the diet thing when they get you fixed up.
    Hopefully this helps you some brother.