who here has been surfing this week?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Peajay4060, Jan 14, 2015.

1. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
  2. antoine

Mar 10, 2013

3. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    My 14 year old got one of the best waves of the morning yesterday at our local spot. I was lucky enough to nail a tack sharp sequence of it. These pictures are only a part of the sequence. There are a dozen more shots of the beginning of the wave capturing the drop in and wall setting up the tube ride. Unfortunately I ran out of buffer at the end and I missed the gouging turn he was setting up for in the final frame here.

IMG_6571.jpg IMG_6572.jpg IMG_6573.jpg IMG_6574.jpg IMG_6575.jpg IMG_6576.jpg IMG_6577.jpg IMG_6578.jpg IMG_6579.jpg IMG_6580.jpg

sigmund and Wavestrom like this.
  4. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
  5. Wavestrom

Wavestrom Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Hit the beach south of Boston for another session of fun and fading waves. Started off with some bigger sets around chest high but died down as the morning went along. My arms are toast.

antoine likes this.
  6. curl

curl Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    excellent sequence CJ

7. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Went to a new spot today: heavy beachbreak that gets the full, undiluted force of pacific north swells...kinda like hawaii, but freezing water. Waves were shoulder to head high.

Over 100 guys out (primo spot + Sunday)...and most of the locals are really good. Was worried I might get skunked, but still managed to get some set waves.

Got launched a couple waves in. Tried to make a late drop and the soft-top wasn't having it. Airdrop, pearled and got drilled into the flats...HARD. Lucky, I landed more on my back than ribs, or I would've been pretty fucked up (although, am feeling it as I write this). Later, got another big, steep one and everyone was hooting as I made the drop (normally, I hate hooting...but, this time, got a huge sense of accomplishment).

Tide got pretty high and the inside started working great. Through an obstacle course of school kids (who rip), I got a handful of long & super fun stomach-high insiders.

Got out just before the wind ramped up and it was literally gusting to what seemed like hurricane force within two hours...this place is fucking gnarly.

Hope to stick around this area for several days, but it's forecast to be bigger tomorrow...hope I can handle it.

antoine likes this.
  8. curl

curl Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
  9. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Hey Hey-hey. What's Happening?
    Heck of a few days of swell for us here on my island. Nice pics and stories well told.
    Got some of it myself the last few days.

Hit my primo at dawn on Thursday. A slow pulse of a swell was wrapping in around chest high. I don't think it was from Dorian. I was the guinea pig. Got nice long rides with no one out for a while. Not being in a soup bowl of hassle right away, and having no particular place to be for a while, must have got me in a rhythm because even after the boys started jumping in I was nabbing the best of the set waves. Good waves for the fish with a clean pocket and these little little cover up sections that you could squirt out and catch back up with the open face. I just kept surfing until while taking a hydrate break I saw that the crowd was growing and the set frequency was diminishing. Decided I gots mine and moved on. Headed to my home town where my family volunteers for it's annual Feast. My ma makes the meatballs. On the way did some sand recon at my old breaks and talked with my old bros to get the lowdown on where to be when Dorian comes by.

Was back there on Friday. It was a damp chilly day. A messy swell in the water and I watched the LB contest going on for a bit. It was cool. It grew in size and cleaned up late for just a little warm up for Saturday.

That was about the very definition of surfing around here this time of year. Blue sky, off shores adding a bit of bite, just overhead bombs coming through and a drift to spread it out. Something about surfing on the waves you learned to surf on. Best way to describe it? I was comfortable. Took a 70's style heavy bonzer out for a spin at first and got a handful of bombs right away. Got in early and behind the peak and hauled ass through the pits. No sunshine where I was and no stall needed. Flew out, up and over with my heart thumping enough to hurt. On one I was so comfortable I looked behind me. It was menacing. Low tide made for a trickier drop so I took a coffee break/board swap and had a text convo with a dude we seldom see any more around here. You out there Brother Shamus? That made my day. Switched to a proper squash tail thruster. Started catching the smaller ones that had more of a wall to carve after a short barrel on take off. Surfed until I had a drift where the only wave caught was the one that I rode in on. Hung with some of my oldest dearest surf buds then back to the Feast. Sunday was a struggle to move. Not because of the surfing. It was being on my feet serving beer all night. There was a chick fight.

Good times for a couple of days. I'm spent. Looking to fish for a bit but if a swell comes up I'm in.
    Hope you gets some,
    PJ

Mitchell likes this.
  10. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Irish Monk checking in. Enjoying your write up of what sounds like a perfect day in the southern Northeast. It was good, and thorough. Been too long man it was great catching up.

I never got in the water but I did take my little one on a ferris wheel for the first time sunday. She's a little fkn charger though no fear whatsoever.

11. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    I had mine on carni rides on Sat! ferris wheels, zippers and my favorite. the gravitron.

12. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Haha yes! This was our first official carni type experience, it was great. I had a feeling to wear shitty clothes and I ended up with fried dough sauce all over me.

13. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah someone decided to put oreos in the zeppole. Holy Moly

14. waterbaby

Oct 1, 2012
    Couldn't see anything through the fog at dawn. Sun finally burned just enough off to see a sloshy windswell on an incoming tide...kinda like "victory at sea", but without wind. Only 3 guys out...all huddled in one spot.

Timed the paddle-out perfectly and didn't realize just how big it really was until the first set rolled through...huge, meaty, mountains of water. I was completely intimidated and took a good 20 min to get up the courage to drop in.

Ate shit on my first attempt. Landed on my ribs (they still hurt). My first make was a left bomb. At least, a 10 ft face and fast as hell...kinda like a roller coaster, weaving in and out of the massive lumps. Got a giant turn and rode it all the way to the beach.

Despite that good wave, I was definitely rattled by the size/conditions and kept falling on the next few waves. After about an hour of basically just floating (and trying to duck-dive 57 liters of volume through all the whitewater), I drifted into an area where some local shredders had paddled out (of course, they were killing it). They were all watching as I caught a nicely shaped, but smaller wave. It was embarrassing: I made it, but my my foot placement was bad and my form was atrocious. Fortunately, I got caught inside for what seemed like 20 min and got so tired, had to get out.

I was about to just leave, but decided to walk back down to where I started and try again. There were more people out, so less intimidating and the competition was motivating. Paddled right out and immediately caught another bomb even bigger than the first...no turns, but even faster
    and longer. Caught two more bombs and only got out because I couldn't paddle anymore.

Don't know if I have strength to deal with that shit tomorrow (I'm 55 yo and my joints aren't so great)...but I'll give it a check.

Wavestrom, pdub and antoine like this.
  15. CaptJAQ

CaptJAQ Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2011
  16. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Thanks. I got a few shots of him that day where he was turning heads.

70150117_10211606732122675_1286781504780763136_o.jpg

69706719_10211606731042648_3167272097122615296_o.jpg

Zeroevol, SCOB3YVILLE and CaptJAQ like this.
  17. CaptJAQ

CaptJAQ Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Saturday in Avalon, NJ

Damn water droplets!
    GOPR2508.jpg
    GOPR2508-1.jpg
    ... and a different wave
    GOPR2505.jpg

fun stuff for this old man!

Zeroevol likes this.
  18. antoine

Mar 10, 2013
    nice shot man I surfed wind chop today

19. waterbaby

Oct 1, 2012
    Bluebird dawn patrol this morning. No wind and swell seemed to have dropped to a more manageable level...I was pretty stoked.

Turns out it was much bigger than it looked from the parking lot. Sets still overhead and exceptionally powerful.

First wave was a nice left bomb that just reeled forever...the crew were all watching. Second wave was a smaller insider on which I made my first full (soft-top) roundhouse.

Unfortunately, a huge set came in as I was paddling back out and I was struggling to repeatedly duck-dive my fat/unwieldy board under all the violence. When I finished my underwater wrestling match & finally made it to the line-up, I had a painful/pinching sensation in my left shoulder joint...bad enough I could barely paddle.

Despite the pain, I caught another wave and had to walk down to a mellower spot just to paddle back out. At this point I was basically paddling with only one arm & no duck-dives (bailing my board or trying to hold it to my side).

Barely using the arm helped. I drifted down & caught a couple more nice ones before the onshores wrecked it.

Needless to say, surfing with that much pain was dumb. Even though tide & conditions should be good a few more days, I have to bail and let my shoulder heal...if it even does.

20. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    gotta hand it to you for paddling out in that on a soft top.

but i gotta ask why you don't own a non-soft board? Not making fun, surfing is surfing, just curious.