Flying with Four Boards

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by CJsurf, Dec 29, 2019.

1. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Flying with Four Boards

One big travel board bag with all four boards OR two smaller board bags each with two boards?

Flying Spirit and their policy is $100 and two boards in a bag. Anybody know what they charge if you have the big bag stuffed with boards and they open it up to count?

I have both types of bags already and an extra $200 won't kill me. It is nice though to have the big bag with wheels.

I've only flown Spirit with boards one other time. That time I had dinged up boards in both directions. Also, and this one really pisses me off, I noticed when I got home that one of my bags had been slashed from rail to rail with a box cutter. Guessing the board bag was shrink wrapped with other items and they used a box cutter to cut it apart when I got to Philly. Went through the tough nylon material and the inner foam padding.

2. smitty517

smitty517 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Two smaller. That way if they damage one you still got 2 good boards in the other one. I've never flown with them but I am famous for getting worst deal possible so I always prepare for the worse

3. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    Id stop flying Spirit. Did they make things right the previous time?

4. curl

curl Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    C J , I have been vacationing in PR since 05 . 3 boards , a gun , step up and a long board get stuffed in a coffin with wheels .I get a month in PR and bring new boards so I use tlc. Piping insulation and individually wrapping in plastic works for me .

desandan likes this.
  5. curl

curl Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    La Cambija in town for dinner , Pools has a great sushi menu , Lazy Parrot for pizza are a few of our favorites.

6. curl

curl Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    2 bags would be safer for u inmo. Although my kids take 3 shortboards and and a gun in a coffin , I would not .

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  7. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    putting boards in a day bag then inside the coffin works great too (but adds weight).

8. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    $99 per person round trip is hard to beat though and I can fly out of ACY which is about 15 minutes from my house. I didn't even try to get anything back for the damages. Figure its a cost of flying. Most if not all of my flying through the years with boards has been on American other than this coming trip and my last trip to California. California I got for $136 per person PHY to LAX.

9. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    I'm probably just going to bring one board for myself and I'll let my son bring 3. For packing I buy a sheet of 1/2" XPS foam at Home Depot and cut out pieces a little bit bigger than the boards and then sandwich the boards between using shrink wrap.

LBCrew likes this.
  10. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I was wondering why you were bringing 4 boards... that explains it!

For the record, I've never brought more than two... typically one.

11. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    always pursue damages! If nothing else it lets the airlines know they can't get away with bad behavior.

12. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    I'm more than likely just going to bring my daily driver shortboard. Its one I shaped and glassed heavy and its pretty bulletproof. My son will likely have a step up and two high performance boards. If something happens to my board down there I'll just rent something to get by.

13. desandan

desandan Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Spirit will f yo shite up

14. desandan

desandan Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2013
    When you headed to PR? Im eyeing next weekend but the trades look brutal right now.

15. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Mid February.

desandan likes this.