Selling Out...For Sports

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by UnfurleD, Jan 28, 2020.

1. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    this is the 2nd time i've heard of it. The first being Marcus Mariota, played quarterback for University of Hawaii. A player that has a clause to not participate in "water sports" because of their past activities being surfing. Now another rising football star, Raheem Mostert, of the 49ers who blew up this past year got himself a big contract extension, excluding him from surfing under that contract. https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ays-49ers-contract-prohibits-him-from-surfing I did some light reading on him being from New Smyrna, FL and getting a billabong contract early on. I understand there's a lotta money on the line, but it's still gotta be tough. I give ppl sht for leaving the coast and selling their boards because of a job on the horizon. Can i still give sht to these guys who get millions to do the same? Can i pretend that they're still surfing somewhere without the company's personnel ratting them out? Are there more instances of this happening with other sport-athletes? just putting it out there of course to hear your guys' thoughts

2. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    I would be surprised if it keeps these guys out of the water. I guess the most important question is, what is the language in the contract? Is it void if he is seen surfing, or is it void if he gets injured surfing? Two totally different things. The former I would be way more reluctant to sign than the latter. With the latter, I assume the risk if I paddle out. With the former, that seems way too restrictive to me. Are they also going to say you can't drive a car or cross the street, because both of those things are inherently dangerous as well.

3. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    A contract is something that's agreed to by both parties. He chose to accept those terms. Good for him.

BTW... last time I checked, surfing was not on the list of "inherently dangerous" activities.

Also... The average football career has got to be less than 10 years... probably closer to five. Hell, I could sit on a tack for 5 years. I went away to college in Michigan for four and survived that. Surfing is a lifetime sport. If he survives his football career (and that's the plan, I'm sure), he'll have forever money and decades to still surf... and do it wherever and whenever he wants. That's some pretty cool sh!t.

4. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    I guess I should have closed with sarcasm tags. :D

5. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Oh... LOL. I thought you were serious. When I ran a surf camp I looked into it to avoid some hassles. I couldn't believe it wasn't on the official list.

6. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Never been a fan of people who do anything that is based on just a big payday. With that being said I get the whole capitalistic approach of our society and the greed that drives it. Thats not to say its a bad thing unless it exploits the pureness of the sport. As far as most of you guys that are on this forum , I continue to be impressed by the knowledge that you have of surfing amount other things. When I first came on board here I didn't do my homework and just rattled off about things I thought I knew about , mostly sarcastically. Now Ive pumped the brakes just enough to learn and see other view points. very cool insight on this tread.

7. World B Free

World B Free Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
    Carson likes this.
  8. ChavezyChavez

ChavezyChavez Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    It's only three years. I'd give up my left testicle and move to Iowa for 3 years for 8.7 million. In three years, I collect my money, rip up the contract, move back to the coast, and start surfing again. When you've been working your fingers to the bone for 30 plus years, paying mortgages and all the other bills and BS, and having 3 kids to help along their way, you'd take the money too.

9. CYCOlogist

CYCOlogist Active Member

Dec 7, 2019
    On an issue completely outside of sports, a lot of people these days have to leave the coast due to cost of living just for survival.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    ukelelesurf likes this.
  10. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    True story. It's not cheap living in paradise.

ukelelesurf likes this.
  11. CYCOlogist

CYCOlogist Active Member

Dec 7, 2019
    Yup. Sad and it sucks but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

12. sigmund

sigmund Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2015
    I never thought of surfing as an injury prone sport unless you're chasing Jaws. Now skiing, that's a blown out knee waiting to happen. I wonder what other sports he's banned from?

And I spent 8 years away from the ocean in Denver just after college. But of course I was a snowboard junkie so the mountains became my ocean. Always knew I'd make my way back to the sea though.

ChavezyChavez, antoine and LBCrew like this.
  13. Wavestrom

Wavestrom Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2014
    You have a pretty good chance of getting a shoulder or back injury surfing along with the knees, all of which are critical to being a useful NFL player.

JJF blew out his ACL last year on a big but not Mavericks sides wave right?

14. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    I sliced my ass/upper thigh wide open with the fin on a blown take off on a chest high day. 2 internal and 6 external stitches later, I was almost as good as new.

15. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    He agreed to it. He gets to live out his dream as an NFL player.

I dont think he is selling out. I had to basically give it up for three years to go back to school. Now I live a comfortable life instead of living with my mom and havong no money. I dont feel like a sell out.

Theres more to life than surfing, although its the best part of it.

ukelelesurf, sigmund and UnfurleD like this.
  16. sigmund

sigmund Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Agreed, but a sport like soccer or tennis would be a much higher risk for a season ending injury. Even running would be a higher risk than surfing. Again, assuming he's just surfing your run of the mill waist - head high waves on average. I wager the contract blocks almost all sporting activities.

17. Wavestrom

Wavestrom Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2014
    The funnier thing to me was the article on SI.com mentioned the surfers at his home break in New Smyrna with their hooded wetsuites. That can't be right?

And yeah, typically you can't do anything sporting for obvious reasons. No snowboarding or dirt biking riding or any of that. It's a fair deal - we give you life changing wealth and you don't do anything crazy off the field for 2-10 years.

ukelelesurf and bubs like this.
  18. World B Free

World B Free Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
    LBCrew likes this.
  19. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Remember when CC Sabathia hurt his ankle on a trampoline playing with his kids? The media rushed to his defense because he was "being a good dad".... and they were right. Betcha there was some kind of wrinkle in his contract that playing on a trampoline violated.

20. ukelelesurf

ukelelesurf Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Interesting thread. For sure I would not surf for a few years to play football and make generational wealth....and I'm a total addict. Also, for a lot of people surfing is a thing not THE thing (which is probably better and healthier anyway.) That Jay Williams story was bad. The Bulls actually paid a lot of his contract out even though they had no obligation too. Another guy that comes to mind is madbum >>>>>

Madison Bumgarner had nearly finished a ride of more than two hours in the mountains outside Denver when his rented dirt bike slipped on the trail and took the pitcher to the ground directly onto his pitching shoulder.

The 2014 World Series MVP bruised ribs and sprained the AC joint in his pitching shoulder in the dirt bike accident during Thursday’s off day in Colorado. An experienced rider, Bumgarner said he was with two family members, not speeding or racing the bike, and wearing a helmet when he spun out, He doesn’t think he hit a rock or other obstruction. The ground wasn’t icy or snowy, and he said he wasn’t doing hills.