swell info app

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by surf_squan1219, Jul 22, 2011.

1. surf_squan1219

surf_squan1219 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    does anyone have this app? also is it really worth $3? i dont really get why they are charging for the app when they have so many advertisers on the site.

since theres no way i'm paying for it, does anyone know a good app for monmouth county nj surf? or northeast for the matter?

2. bushwood

bushwood Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    It worth $3, and works well on the Iphone for sure. No other surf forecast app gives you a full 7 day forecast. Its usually pretty accurate. Personally for me its worth $3 to have an idea of swell forecast 5 days in advance, i have a pretty hectic shedule so if I can get a heads up that we might have some surf next wednesday I can start working my stuff around needing to get free that day.

3. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    All of the forecast data in the app is the same ad on the web site. So you can get all the forecast info through your mobile browser, but the app interface is much faster and easier to get the info. Eventually we will get a better interface for mobile browsers.

4. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    dern thing must be broken, it says it's going to be flat all week...

5. surf_squan1219

surf_squan1219 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    i really dont think any app is worth $3. say what you will about me not spending $3 on an app, i just think its dumb to pay for it

any good free apps for the droid?

6. Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Dude, dumb to pay 3 bucks for a 7 day forecast app? You must be dumb for not paying 3 dollars for a sick app.

Also I wouldn't come on the SWELLINFO forums looking for a free alternative to the SWELLINFO app...

7. darippah

darippah Well-Known Member

May 27, 2008
    if your willing to miss half hour of work to surf, assuming you make $10/ hour, that session just costed you $5. if you live 5 min from the beach and check the waves 2x's per week, your probably paying $1-2/ week checking waves in gas. if the swellinfo app gets you 1 extra session per year, or avoids you from driving to the beach 5 times or so (total), you just made a great investment

8. live4truth

live4truth Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2007
    as to alternatives....there are not many that work well for the east coast--mostly west coast focused apps...and to be honest, SI was the best. I bought it originally for my Itouch and then for my droid a year or two later. Only a slight difference with the apple app in that you can email the screen to friends or post it on a social media site...but still no love loss with the android app...such a convenient app...definitely worth the money!

Its the only app I have ever bought...just buy it...cheaper than a gallon of gas ;-)

9. Ray F.

Ray F. Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Are you asking a question or making a statement?

Like Micah says, it's the same exact info that's provided on the graph, only in a different format.

If it fits your lifestyle & you have $3.00, buy it. If it's availability or entertainment doesn't enhance your lifestyle, don't get it.

I dig mine.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  10. mongoloid

mongoloid Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Its a solid app. saves a lot of loading time versus going to the actual webpage.

$3 isn't that much money...you probably have $3 in change in your car

11. Chillin

Chillin New Member

Jan 6, 2011
    you could always get the free surfline app. its mad easy

12. ocmd350z

ocmd350z New Member

Dec 20, 2006
    I had the Surfline app for the iphone and it crashed each time selected a location to get report/forecast. So I grabbed this free app: Oakley Surf Report... it is powered by Surfline so it is same format/data just Oakley in place of Surfline. If you are cheap (and it works on your phone) just open the SwellInfo website through the browser. $3 really is nothing, so it is worth grabbing the SwellInfo app instead. The Oakley/Surfline free one, SwellInfo's, and a NOAA Buoy data app are the three I use. But Surfline's forecast is pure garbage.

Simple solution, stop being cheap and get the SwellInfo app... really, its $3...

13. willdean

willdean Member

May 27, 2020
    I know this thread is old. But I have some questions about this app. Where can I download it? Is it worth it? I need all the info about it.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  14. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    It never worked properly for me. Always locked up my phone. I don't think any development has been done on it for almost 5 years so it may not even work with the latest version of Android or iOS.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.swellinfo&hl=en_US

upload_2020-7-20_7-45-9.png

15. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Unfortunately it is not worth it at all. I jumped don the bandwagon and paid the $5 or whatever when it first came out, but I have hardly used it at all.

Just bookmark the forecast page on your mobile browser and save your $$.

Carson and antoine like this.