who here has been surfing this week?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Peajay4060, Jan 14, 2015.

1. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    thi hi thrillers this morning. was a lil hesitant to go, maybe save some energy for the lunch sess but these mid july waves are gonna be gone real soon. I took the LB which was the right call. No drift today, pretty clean. Stayed a lil ways from the pier, had a decent ride bout it. Surprisingly, no weird marine life this early morning

antoine, Carson and steef like this.
  2. steef

steef Active Member

Sep 11, 2019
    Rode my bike down to my local spot this morning for a dawn patrol. Pretty much perfect light offshore winds, but the beach I go to in the summer doesn't handle low tide very well. Just the price I'm willing to pay to avoid the summer crowds. Had some quick rides on the 9'6" but ending the wave in knee deep water definitely makes you think twice about rushing up to the nose!

antoine, headhigh and Carson like this.

3. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    hey nice stories.
    Got some this morning. good summer waves. Hiked into a place to get some exercise. would've like to LB cause of @headhigh but for carrying thatthing that far. Opted for a fish cause it's small and light. stayed by myself and had a few runners before a good walk back. Might go for the LB on a sunset run.

nice day here.

4. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
  5. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    didn't have much push left at the lunch sess. Took the 7'2 fish with a few waist hi rides that didn't go far, then upped it to the 9'4 LB as the incoming tide didn't provide any more size. Still good to get some, and expectations were lowered unlike yesterday which made things a lil more relaxed

6. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    5 days of ride-able, and actually halfway decent surf in July. Is this real?

Last night, a thunderstorm passed and cleaned the surf right up. The waves just kept coming.

This morning it was clean from the start. Got a solid 2 hours in before work. I'm exhausted.

7. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    I took the dog for a walk and watched the knee high dribblers rolling in.

headhigh and antoine like this.
  8. curl

curl Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Great looking pic s C J

9. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Last weekend Delmarva:

This was the best session I've had in a while. Waves were so buttery.

7-12-2020y.jpg 7-12-2020p.jpg 7-12-2020f.jpg 7-12-2020c.jpg

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    CJsurf, antoine, simod5 and 4 others like this.
  10. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    Fun in the sun yesterday. Had the whole fam on the beach at dawn. Trucked it into a far spot away from the weekenders. Water was clear and warm with a gentle off shore. A lazy thigh high liner was peeling off the bar. Paddled my little girl into a few. Says it's like a roller coaster. Then pushed the boy into a few. He had some long lines all the way to the beach. Took him a while to get back to me. He went in and I got a few for my self. The out going drained it fast and we spent the rest of the day in the tide pools catching hemit crabs and making a touch tank with a doggy pool. I am baked. No sun today

sigmund, steef, antoine and 1 other person like this.
  11. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    The sun finally took me out of the water yesterday, too. I just couldn't take the rays anymore and hid under the umbrella and ate.

But the surf was so fun all day... managed two hours-long sessions on the 8'0.

steef, Carson and antoine like this.
  12. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    I'm right there with you guys on the sun. This spring I bought a hooded, long-sleeve "surf shirt" to try to keep from getting too roasted. It works pretty well and the hood is nice for keeping the sun out of my eyes. I recommend.

Got some tiny surf Saturday and Sunday. Just trying to stay flexible while we wait for the tropics to heat up (again)

13. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Looking at windy.com as of right now we could see our first real storm start to form around the 29th or 30th about half way between Africa and the leeward islands.

headhigh likes this.
  14. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    conditions are sure seem favorable. You guys ever check out the Wundermap?

https://www.wunderground.com/wundermap

Grabbed this from NOAA
    ZCZC MIATWOAT ALL
    TTAA00 KNHC DDHHMM

Tropical Weather Outlook
    NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL
    800 AM EDT Tue Jul 21 2020

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

1. A tropical wave is producing a large area of disorganized showers
    and thunderstorms over western Cuba, the northwestern Bahamas,
    southern Florida, and the adjacent Atlantic and Caribbean
    waters. Gradual development of this system is possible while it
    moves west-northwestward during the next few days. This system is
    expected to move over the southeastern Gulf of Mexico later today,
    the central Gulf on Wednesday, and the northwestern Gulf on
    Thursday and Friday. An Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft
    is scheduled to investigate the system this afternoon, if
    necessary.
    * Formation chance through 48 hours...low...30 percent.
    * Formation chance through 5 days...medium...40 percent.

2. Showers and thunderstorms have become better organized in
    association with a low pressure system located about midway between
    the west coast of Africa and the Lesser Antilles. Environmental
    conditions are expected to be somewhat conducive for development,
    and a tropical depression could form during the next day or two
    while the low moves westward at around 10 mph over the tropical
    Atlantic. By the weekend, however, less favorable conditions
    should limit additional development.
    * Formation chance through 48 hours...medium...60 percent.
    * Formation chance through 5 days...medium...60 percent.

headhigh likes this.
  15. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    As an aside, I used to be a huge fan and supporter of Weather Underground. Back in the first decade of this century, they had the best UI and data to get the weather. There was nothing even close to it. You had everything you needed for a 10 day forecast all on one page, above the fold. Then, they sold out to The Weather Channel (which ALSO used to be the bomb with Kristina Abernathy) and they quickly spiraled downhill. I used to pay the annual subscription but I quit giving them money probably 3 or 4 years ago. Very disappointing to see what TWC did to them.

headhigh likes this.
  16. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    For sure! I love reading the "Category 6" blog this time of year too. It's good year around but I really like the deep dives into the tropics.

Could not agree more. It was like night and day when they sold out to TWC. Now that you got me started on TWC... I despise TWC. It's just another cable news channel designed to frighten old people (my parents in particular). Now every storm is a rain-pockalypse or wind-mageddon, so stupid. Rant over.

EDIT: Just went over to WU and saw that Jeff Masters ended "Category 6" last month after 15 years. What a huge bummer. He's got a new blog on Yale's website: https://www.yaleclimateconnections.org/section/eye-on-the-storm/

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    sigmund likes this.
  17. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    There was a day when that was the only channel I ever watched. Just let it roll all day long... Now I can't stand it. Because it sucks.

Carson likes this.
  18. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    wundermap is still good though.

headhigh and Carson like this.
  19. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    Same. Late 80s through mid 90s. They pretty much only talked about the weather. Go figure.

20. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    What's Happening?

Been on the beach at dusk to wash off the heat and the hate. Fam was at the beach all day so no one wanted to come with which was too bad because I would have pushed kids into waves until dark. Took a paddle by my lonesome last and got a few ankle slaps myself. Got a few where I got that feeling. Getting some Ocean, some Sunset, and Some Dead to keep the mind limber.

steef, Carson, LBCrew and 1 other person like this.