Remote SubLiving

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by UnfurleD, Nov 17, 2020.

1. ChavezyChavez

ChavezyChavez Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Atlantic City, NJ. There's prostitutes there, or so I'm told.

SCOB3YVILLE, sigmund, Manik and 3 others like this.
  2. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Yes indeed. When I was a student at Stockton, in Pomona, NJ, I lived right on the beach in Brigantine freshman year. Amazing location, as a surfer. Not so much as a student. Anyway... me and my buddies used to get buzzed and drive into AC just to talk to the hookers. They were really nice, fun people, actually. One of them in particular liked to joke around with us... she actually opened up her pocketbook and showed me a chrome revolver one day. Looked like maybe a .38? That was an interesting surprise.

3. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    You'd be right about the rain and fog, but I bet it gets MUCH colder on the Eastern Seaboard than here. Ice and snow are rare here because we have a cool Mediterranean climate that I believe is influenced by the Japanese Current. And yes, wetsuits are a year-round affair with water temps ranging from 45°-60°. Not *too* bad.

Hard to tell about aches and pains and arthritis, but I'd be foolish to say it doesn't exist. I have my share of age-related physical issues, but none are a major problem because I've always been in considerably better shape than most...and I'm an avid smoker of weed and tobacco lol.

I wouldn't recommend the PNW for everyone. Can't tell you how many stories of people that I know who moved here and absolutely hated it. The constant rain and drizzle really screws with one's head. A lot of locals run off to Mex during midwinter just to keep their sanity.

But when the sun comes out, it's one of the most beautiful places in the world

It's called "Surfers of Bali", they have the best looking babes in all of his videos... love 'em

But hey if you can move to Bali, why dafuq would you consider anywhere else?

UnfurleD and Manik like this.
  4. La_Piedra

Oct 9, 2017
    define "perfect" lol

But I'm happier than I've been in a very long time.

If you would have told me at age 18 that I would be retired at 50 and surfing freezing perfect Washington surf, my first reply would have been to pass me whatever you'd been smoking.

My second reply would have been, "yes, please".

5. ClemsonSurf

ClemsonSurf Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Gotta be Surfers of Bali. It’s my new fav YouTube channel.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCzcQOTuXYGuCvTekySb_CeQ

Manik and La_Piedra like this.
  6. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Manik and eatswell like this.
  7. eatswell

eatswell Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    2021 is looking to be another year of slow work and not much money to be made, unless the vaccines really make some headway. But I’ve already decided that I’ll likely be buying something in Florida (a cheap mobile home) by 2022. Best case scenario in 2021.

Of course, Hawaii has always been my dream and I’ll still aim to eventually retire there in about 15 years time, but as long as I’m still working and have my house in Jersey, I’ll just get something cheap in Florida. That way I can spend time down there during my periods of downtime. It would feel especially nice there right now.

California is way too expensive for me and even more congested than where I am in Jersey and any other place I’d be interested (other than the aforementioned Oahu) is either out of the country or just plain out of my current budget.

I do have a buddy that’s planning to buy a house on the North Shore at some point in 2021 and the invitation will always be extended to me to go whenever I want to stay there, but it’s just not in my budget until I retire and sell my house in Jersey.

A cheap trailer in Florida is, but even that will have to wait until I have more steady work, which is dependent on the covid situation.

I do love talking about this and I’m always intrigued to read others posts on the topic of traveling or relocating/buying a second home for the purpose of surfing.

Manik likes this.
  8. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    I think that this is a misconception that many people have because of the images of LA. I thought the same thing before moving here about 5 years ago. I live in the north end of San Diego county and there are plenty of places between Oceanside and San Diego that, even in the summer, don't have the same crowds and congestion that the Jersey, MD and DE beaches have. I won't dispute the stupid expensive part though. :D

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    eatswell, antoine and Manik like this.
  9. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    Man, all of this back and forth is really making me never want to leave SENC. Congestion is non-existent if you know where to go, cost of living is one of the lowest in the USA, and quality of life is off the charts since I no longer commute to work.

That said, no one should move here.

UnfurleD, World B Free, Manik and 3 others like this.
  10. eatswell

Jul 14, 2009
    I live in Monmouth County, so my part of Jersey is certainly not the most congested part of the state. The LA/SD areas are definitely more crowded than where I am and the traffic there is horrendous. North Jersey is definitely arguably as bad or worse than the LA and SD, though.

Living in one of the beach towns in So Cal would definitely be great, but once you have to start jumping on the highway to get into the city, it’s a different story.

That would be ideal for me if I were retired and rarely ever had to venture into the city for work, but I’m not able to do right now. I’m still retiring to Oahu, but maybe San Diego (perhaps a bit north in Seal Beach/Orange County?) area will be a nice consolation prize if I’m unable to do so. :cool:

Manik likes this.
  11. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    This is something you may never have to do, only choose to do. There is a ton of businesses in North County that you can get to without ever having to get on the 5. It's rare for me to get on the freeway. When we were going into the office, I was driving from Carlsbad to Carlsbad. I know that's not typical, but there are plenty of high paying jobs in the area. If you live in the Solana beach area, or even go further East to like 4S Ranch, you can get to Sorrento Valley pretty easily where there are tons more jobs and it's only 20 to 30 minutes to be in the water.

The situation you describe can be the reality, but it's not a given. There are other options that would provide you with a more laid back, fulfilling lifestyle.

If you ever want to chat, or even come visit (assuming you aren't a axe murderer), hit me up in a PM.

eatswell and antoine like this.
  12. La_Piedra

Oct 9, 2017
    My personal experience (along with dozens of lifelong friends who are native) is that your situation is def the exception and not the rule lol

SCOB3YVILLE and antoine like this.
  13. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    Last time i seriously dated a yankee girl, she was trying to get me to move up North. I said the furthest i would go is SENC. I had a great time at Carolina Beach 5 yrs ago maybe now, but i gotta revisit. Been a long long time since i've hit up Wrightsville. Carolina Beach was the closest to my Folly hood that I've seen so far. I don't blame ya for sticking it out there

Carson and headhigh like this.
  14. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    WB is my local spot, but to be honest I only really surf there when I need to get a quick session, and I would never go there just to hang out. I'd rather go north (TI) or south (CB) to avoid the packs of entitled rich folks and frat guys. The key around here is to have a boat. It opens things up by about 1000%.

antoine, UnfurleD and Carson like this.
  15. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    I'll accept my blessings. :D

I think that the WFH situation from Covid is going to have a lasting affect too. Many businesses are starting to wonder why they even have an office. Obviously there are lots of businesses that will require people to be in an office, but many jobs can be done effectively remotely. My wife works for a large architecture firm and she has her finger on the pulse of what businesses are thinking. She subscribes to the theory that the office is going to become more of an occasionally meeting place and that most jobs that can be done remotely will take on a hybrid look.

antoine and headhigh like this.
  16. eatswell

Jul 14, 2009
    I do appreciate it. I’m in a very specific type of business and I’m not even able to work in San Diego. I’d have to commute to the LA area, so living in San Diego (year round) isn’t an option for me because of that. And San Diego is not in my budget to live in seasonally, like a mobile home in Florida is.

But it’s a definitely an option for when I retire, but I may just sack up and get out to Oahu by then. :cool:

Carson likes this.
  17. NotAMasshole

NotAMasshole Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2016

Surfers of Bali?

Manik and antoine like this.
  18. NotAMasshole

NotAMasshole Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2016
    DO IT!

Seriously you only live once and not having responsibilities/obligations keeping you in one place is all the more reason to explore (safely I guess). I was lucky enough to have the means to move around a lot in my early 20's. One of the places I lived for a couple stints was Charleston, once on IOP and once downtown- I did love a lot of things about being down there but I think getting out of the South for some time will serve you well. My now-wife has always been big on international travel, especially when we were fresh out of college. The knowledge and appreciation I gained for other cultures and ways of life have been a foundation of my moral compass and I do think it made me a much more understanding, compassionate and well-rounded person. We lived in Nicaragua for a couple of years, southwest region. I would recommend that as an option. Prices (for everything) have gone back down since the government went to shit and it now is a bit more like 10 years ago. Let me know if you have any specific questions but ya, do it.

UnfurleD, Manik, antoine and 2 others like this.
  19. La_Piedra

Oct 9, 2017
    Yeh.

20. La_Piedra

Oct 9, 2017
    Dude I knew people that commuted from SD to LA county for work. I never would have done it. I'm sure that many still do, although numbers may now be changed forever due to the trend in remote workplaces and classrooms.

As far as Oahu, all I can say is that you must like being around people.