I’m new here and a surfing addict

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Lookthing, Dec 13, 2020.

1. Lookthing

Lookthing Active Member

Dec 12, 2020
    Hello everyone! I live in SF and surf up and down the CA coast, and some in Oregon. I recently bought a used van to get out of town and explore new spots. Favorite recent ones include Jalama (SB), Ocean Beach (home break), Seaside Reef (SD), and Short Sand (OR). I surf short, mid and longboards. Currently in love with a 6’6” fish (including photos) by local shaper in SD. Looking forward to talking with you guys!

Attached Files:

Carson and Manik like this.
  2. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Welcome aboard LT, nice pics. There is usually a slight hazing that goes with new members that includes answering questions such as,
    What are your thoughts on Hindu women
    On propere leash tying techniques
    What do you bench press?
    Is your van white, windowless, and held together by duct tape?
    Do you do step offs?
    Also pics of wife or GF is huge on brownie points.

Obviously having a sense of humor is appreciated. When you travel north of SF, post pics. I know that's supposed to be crazy beautiful coastline

SCOB3YVILLE, headhigh and Carson like this.

3. Lookthing

Lookthing Active Member

Dec 12, 2020
    Hey Manik. Thanks for the welcome. Haze ahead!

i don’t have duc tape holding my van together YET, but if I take that bumpy road to Lost Coast this holiday, I may need it. My wife would kill me if I posted a pic of her here. What about a snap of my dog? I’ll definitely share some photos of the trip up north. The waves usually get really big in winter up in humboldt so taking pictures may be all do this trip.

Carson likes this.
  4. World B Free

World B Free Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
    Carson, antoine, Manik and 1 other person like this.
  5. Lookthing

Lookthing Active Member

Dec 12, 2020
    Ha ha! I better go back and watch Cheech and Chong! Especially before starting a Humboldt county surf journey!

indeed the surf+van+open road is how I’ve kept my sanity this year. Anyone else doing it?

6. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Pics of your dog are definitely cool.

Videos of OB in SF keep popping up on my feed. Wow, those waves are big.

7. Lookthing

Lookthing Active Member

Dec 12, 2020
    My dog after a serious haircut...

Attached Files:

Manik and antoine like this.
  8. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    Welcome LT! If you ever get south of Orange County, hit me up!

Did someone say "dog pics"?

PXL_20201122_183734237.jpg

Manik, headhigh and Lookthing like this.
  9. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    BTW... Pic of GF can be fraudulent. Any hottie will do with this group of algae-for-brains derelicts.

Manik, SCOB3YVILLE, headhigh and 2 others like this.
  10. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    You can really see Skip's influences on that fish. I've been riding Lis and Frye-influenced boards for over 40 years.

How long have you been surfing?

11. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Yeah the entire state has been going off for close to a week now. Check out some of the Blacks Beach videos, it's been pretty epic.

Meanwhile my local has been 12'-20' and raining. It was only 4'-6' yesterday with 25 knot offshores so I got wet. Nothing epic, but I snagged a few nugs.

Manik likes this.
  12. Lookthing

Lookthing Active Member

Dec 12, 2020
    Hey Le_Piedra. I surfed as a kid down in San Diego. But then picked it up again 3-4 years ago. So who knows. In between, there were skateboarding, snowboarding, and living in 17 years in Japan.

I decided to do a custom with Josh Hall after learning about the Steve Lis and the Azure Vista origins in the Fish Documentary (rad!). Learning that Josh mentored under Skip was the main reason. Cool that he's carrying on the roots.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  13. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Hi LT, welcome! I'm a van guy myself!!

Most of us are east coasters, so please make sure to post in the "Surfing this week" thread so we can live vicariously through you.

simod5 and Lookthing like this.
  14. Lookthing

Lookthing Active Member

Dec 12, 2020
    Hey HH. Thanks for the welcome! It's great to see so many east coasters here. Wonder why not so many west coasters join in? Maybe I'll invite some SF locals to the forum. I've already started posting to the who here has been surfing this week thread. Great to find people to talk surfing.

Carson likes this.
  15. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    This site was created by an East Coast guy. He built the swell prediction algorithms to work with the less predictable weather patterns for the East Coast, and up until he sold the site, it was THE BEST tool for predicting East Coast swell. He has since moved on and started yet another awesome forecasting site.

https://surfcaptain.com/

headhigh and Manik like this.
  16. Lookthing

Lookthing Active Member

Dec 12, 2020
    Hey Carson. Thanks for the history. That's very cool. Isn't Surfline working on the east coast? There doesn't seem to be a west coast community that I've found but maybe I haven't looked hard enough. Anyway, it's cool to meet you guys.

17. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    Surfline works better with longer range forecasting, storms that are producing swell days in advance. A lot of the best east coast swells are much shorter period swells that don't show as early as the longer period swells that are common on the west coast.

LBCrew likes this.
  18. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Yup... Plus, storms moving across a land mass are far less predictable than those traveling across water. I mean... swell models used for the East Coast often get it right for the biggest swell makers up to about a week out. But they get it wrong half the time when predicting a wind shift less than 24 hours out. HTF does that happen?

Manik likes this.
  19. SCOB3YVILLE

SCOB3YVILLE Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    how’s this shit. Sending towel, tard and your pier some skip Frye t shirts in Clairemont San Diego this morning.
    Ran into him as I’m dropping them off!!!!
    26768149-81C5-4E4F-84E0-AF153AEDA08D.jpeg

La_Piedra, Lookthing, Lefty and 3 others like this.
  20. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Thanks Carson, didn't know about the different site, looks good

Carson likes this.