who here has been surfing this week?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Peajay4060, Jan 14, 2015.

1. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    oh ffs dude lol

2. whoisJOB

whoisJOB Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2021
    nice. Cobblestones?

Manik likes this.

3. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Nah, east facing spots. If I'm thinking about the place you're mentioning that's a south swell/ southeast spot. But there are a lot of spots, named and otherwise that could fit

4. whoisJOB

whoisJOB Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2021
    ah, the certain spot that on a map looks like a miniature version of a European country scourged by the early wave of covid

Manik likes this.
  5. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    This has to be the longest stretch in the last 12 months without even a remote chance to surf. I just keep watching super short period waves lap up on the beach. I have been known to surf some tiny, unappealing conditions, but for over 3 weeks now I have not had a reason to pull on the wetsuite. Fingers and toes crossed for a change in the weather pattern this week.

eatswell likes this.
  6. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Dude we just had 2 months of rain, wind and 20’ swell. The 2 days that we had decent conditions, the swell was like 20 boats doing donuts in the swell line. Now we’re forecast for rain and snow for the next 10 days.

1st world probs bruh

7. eatswell

eatswell Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Was getting in a lot of days, but the last week has been flat in Jersey.

Wednesday is looking pretty nice as of right now though.

8. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Had a very nice surf day Sunday. Airtemp was about 80 water temp was about 68. Rode my bike to the beach I didn't expect to see too much in the way of rideable waves have much to my surprise a nice little Groundswell was filling in. I have been watching the buoys pick up words little by little but didn't expect to see anything for riding. Headed back home through my 92 Walden in the car and headed back to the same spot. Surf for about 2 and 1/2 hours on Solid Waste + waves and it was almost as many rights as left infamy left is mo better. After leaving the beach headed to my favorite taco stand where I had the house special witches Lindsey's famous guacamole and Jacks Seafood wrap. It was such a nice day I ended up leaving my car at the restaurant and walking back down to the beach and just sitting in the sand for another hour.

eatswell, Carson, headhigh and 2 others like this.
  9. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    finally, finally. Got some waves. Stomach hi throttle, rare chest hi's. Very short period waves, but in the right board you can get some. Had less than an hour, waited for the bigger ones, grabbed a handful on the roomie's 7'4 mcKevlin's (all my boards have been de-waxed and i didn't feel like i had time). First left sent me 40 yards peeling just waist hi crumblin. Didn't take me time surprisingly to get adjusted, starting getting after it pretty quick. We're in the 4/3, booties - some had gloves, i didn't. Wasn't too crowded, also a nice surprise. Gonna be good till tomorrow morning; may have to put the suite in the dryer for an evening sess

10. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    yesterday was it apparently, not leftovers this morning. Glad i made another run at it in the evening with a bud. Fog was thick, rain n lightning everywhere but Folly somehow. Kept crowds light and suspense all worthy. Had some decent rides, but nothing too great. Best was likely when we decided one more, took separate waves but one after the other. Each went a different path but both of us ended hit the riding it out before kicking off the lip. Buddy said he got it pretty good, so maybe he won that duel. Now, time to work and wait til the wknd's surf trip

eatswell and Carson like this.
  11. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    Finally got some surf yesterday. Classic COVID sesh, ducked out of work for 2 hours around lunchtime. Very similar conditions to @UnfurleD, taller short period swell. Caught a few fun ones, but it was just nice to break the dry spell. Made it back just in time to eat lunch while I had a conference call muted in the background.

12. eatswell

Jul 14, 2009
    Really cold day on LBI. Could have used a long boart, though. Bad decision not to bring one on my part. It was worth the ride down there, though. It was flat by me and closer to home.

It was really frickin cold. The air was just really raw and chilly.

Manik and Carson like this.
  13. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Dude same exact scenario for me yesterday. Coming off a flat spell, going into a frigid spell. One of those days yesterday where all of my work was phone calls. Easy to squeeze in a midday sesh and be on the phone when i needed to be.

Manik and Carson like this.
  14. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    Frigid is right. I have to go back a full 12 months to see water temps this cold. Hoping this is the bottom of the curve.
    upload_2021-1-29_9-24-52.png

Manik likes this.
  15. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Pipes almost froze last night, got to let them faucets drip tonight.

16. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    Man, I don't miss that.

In my house in Baltimore, I had the pipes to the room over the garage freeze. I had 14 breaks that required me to remove the entire stair wall to fix. What a PITA that was.

17. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Ummm. Ok. So water temp is 62 air is 60 and the wind just went offshore this a.m. notably I was ill from work and had a surf prescription !
    Waist lucky chest a bit scattered but steeper drops.
    Brought my 7.0. Ricky Carroll custom. Set the fins as a thruster and had 2.5 hours of fun on the outgoing tide!
    It pays to watch the buoys and the wind and swell direction.

I was wearing my spring suite if that helps anyone and it is full sun today.
    Hoping it gets better! Lol

eatswell, Manik and Carson like this.
  18. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    20210130_141151.jpg

Super clean and super cold, quick pic from the phone

19. eatswell

Jul 14, 2009
    Took a pretty long drive down to Ocean City NJ on Friday. Good thing I brought the long boart. It was really cold and windy. Not too bad, I guess. Thought it was gonna be bigger.

Manik likes this.
  20. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    What's happening guys?

I had some interesting surf this weekend. Saturday I expected there to be waves and made it out in the late afternoon right after low tide. The 14 second period was just too much for my beach and it was closing out all the way down the strip. I still caught a few nugs and got a decent workout but it left me wanting more.

Sunday was supposed to be a washout: rainy and blowing hard onshore all day. However around 2pm the wind switched and it cleaned up at the biggest part of the swell. I had actually just gotten back from the junkyard looking for van parts when my wife randomly decided to check the surf. We jet to the beach and are greeted with head high clean conditions. The swell was a bit mixed up due to the proximity of the storm but it was still providing the goods. Occasionally a large wave would come thru that made me regret paddling out my 5'5, but I snagged a couple mid-sided nugs. For my last wave I decided to wait outside for the bigger set. It finally came and I put myself right where it was breaking. Had to take the late drop because of my tiny board but I made it around the first section and had a long wall stretched out in front of me. I kept thinking the bottom was going to fall out so I raced it down the line. It was a long mostly straight ride but I was just glad to make the drop.

After the surf I made some Lasagna with meat sauce, some garlic bread and a huge salad with Brianna's (edit: not to be confused with Bretanna :D) French Vinaigrette dressing. If you like Italian dressing you need to try this stuff. There's a picture of an artichoke on the bottle. I washed it down with a couple Lagunitas "lil' sumpin sumpin" IPAs and fell asleep on the couch watching Survivorman.

I'm "working" thru lunch right now so I can get out there for some leftover surf before dark.

Manik, antoine and Carson like this.