In praise of the ebike for surfing

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Toonces, May 6, 2019.

1. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Doesn't surprise me a bit. There are some good cops out there, but I don't run into them very often.

2. capecodcdog

capecodcdog Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2012
    I had a 'bort stolen in the VB area. I filed a police report, and because I had pictures and a serial number, the police we very cooperative, especially when I found it on CL. They proceeded w/ a "sting" operation, nabbed the dude, and retrieved my bort. So it ended well for me (not so much for the clepto).

Back to the original topic, OP, do you have any links for the kits? I'm definitely a tinkerer and inquisitive type..

Yankkee, Kanman and DawnPatrol321 like this.

3. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    At least you got yours back.

4. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Dear Barry,
    Well said

Your pal,
    Mr Belmar

5. Mr.Belmar

Aug 19, 2010
    CcDog

Here is a link to some motorized bikes and kits

https://www.gasbike.net/

Sorry once again to my friends the environmentalists- this burns fossil fuels. Not batteries. I like gas. I find it harder to properly dispose of batteries then burn off the gas

6. capecodcdog

Jun 22, 2012
    Thanks Mr. Belmar. Very interesting and not too expensive. I have and old beach cruiser in the shed that could be the subject of such an experiment....

Update: search for "ebike kit" and there are lots of electric kits out there. A bit more expensive than gas. There were some on amazon as well, lower in cost but still more than gas powered. Haven't dug in further with regard to quality, etc.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  7. Mr.Belmar

Aug 19, 2010
    Hey CCdog!
    You will have to let me know if you ever get it going. Over the years I have always wanted to try the gas engine one, but just havnt had the time really... maybe once my kids get a bit older it could be a project I do with them... but maybe by then we will have real hoverboards back to the future style.

There are other website for gas as well maybe cheaper idk... but it always seems like a cool idea and there is always a bunch of old cruisers that could be used! So many ppl throw out old cruisers just due to flat tires or something easy..

8. Toonces

Toonces Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2016
    By all means do what you like, but I'd much rather have a bike that I can ride around all day and then just plug into the wall when I get home, recharge and it's ready to go the next day. All that opposed to a gas "anything" that requires me to have to go to a gas station, fill a gas can, and all that nonsense. If I'm going to go through all that trouble, might as well just get a moped and be done with it. Not to mention, now you're going to have to drive it on the road with the cars, which, again, sort of defeats the whole purpose. There are tons of bike lanes on the roads here, and you most definitely cannot ride a gas powered bike/moped on them.

I'm thinking of 2nd Beach in RI, and I'm not sure how parking a gas bike or moped would work...would you still need to pay for parking?

Wavestrom likes this.
  9. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    i saw a guy with an ebike yesterday with a board attached. it's been flat the last week and looking that way for another week or so. but i given certain distances and roads, the ebike is awesome - down where i'm at there are bridges that would make that difficult. good news for me is that i'm returning to FB next month, on a permanent basis. it's rare and i'm gonna beach bum hard. holla at me if you guys ever come down

10. Wavestrom

Wavestrom Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2014
    The problem there is that if the parking lots are full, the break will be full of swimmers (and surfers (and seaweed)) but I think a bike is free and a moped might be considered a motorcycle and you'd pay.

Some of the beaches out in Newport itself though, that seems like there'd be a payoff. Places where the private beach clubs limit access and parking... but I think have to offer a minimal public access.

11. smitty517

smitty517 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
    It's just a matter of time (in my neck of the woods) before your bike becomes someone else's. I always put an identifier somewhere on the bike and have found 3 or 4 over the years. They are usually stolen by dumbass kids that live nearby. When confronted, they gave them back. One dude stole my wife's pink beach cruiser. I found him with it 2 says later. He was dumbfounded that I caught him. I asked him how many dudes he knew that rode a pink beach cruiser? Case closed. Funny thing - I have $1000 paddle board and kayak sitting on a rack but noone screws with them?

12. capecodcdog

Jun 22, 2012
    Usually cleptos want a quick score and easily transportable item. The SUP and yak don't fit this M.O... need a truck to throw them in for quick escape, which happened to a friend. Btw, when my SUP was stolen, it was by someone who lived next to the rental property... a midnight snag and drag operation.

smitty517 likes this.
  13. juliusskinner

juliusskinner New Member

Oct 22, 2021
    I found this thread interesting as you all are talking about bikes and your incidents... I also want to share my incident.................

I just biking in my area, disturbing my neighbours:D:D:D:D... and then suddenly from nowhere I hear a police siren. I was knowing that police is for me, thanks to my luck that day my friend was at his home and there was no number plate on my bike... I just rush back to my friend house... in a way, the police were chasing me.. I somehow manage to get out of their view and ran to my friend house and told him to hide my bike... he hide it in his basement... he is pro at this type of stuff:cool:... and then we came to know that one of neighbour uncle joe called the police, I don't why he hate me a lot...... as we came to about this, we planned to date her daughter and will take revenge... the process is still on... she has given me the number and she like to ride my bike

14. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Jeebus crypes. Worst written story on the interwebs

World B Free and UnfurleD like this.