ever here of Christian Surfers?

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by get wet, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Shakagrom

Shakagrom Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2008
    well, many Jews are not kosher.

2. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    guys, thanks for keeping this discussion civil.

3. Alvin

Alvin Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    What I like is knowing that surfing has bonded people all over the world. Look at what happened in Ireland. Wasnt it the Malloy brothers who created a surf camp icluding Protestants and Catholics. Then Paskowitz ( I think) who created a surf camp that included Palastinians and Israilis. Surfing overcame the religious conflict in each country. Everyone surfing and having fun side by side rather than across the fence and pointing guns at each other. Now thats cool!!!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  4. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    agreed. good post.

5. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    wasn't the old testament written before christ was alive? Isn't that the same book that the jewish religion still lives by?

I thought that was the main difference. The new testament is the christian writings, where the old testament is the same bible that even Jesus followed. It was before his time, no?

6. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    And when I was in middle school, i questioned my priest and stumped him on a few simple questions.

First: We are told to follow our governments rules, and abide by their laws. If me, as a catholic was drafted into the military during war times, and was told by my country to kill, and I did, would I be forgiven? Is that a deadly sin.... He had no answer....

And the one that he did asnwer, that really bugged me, was that yes, no matter how GREAT of a person you are, if you have EVER heard of christ, through other people or through anything, it is at that point in your life, that you must begin to follow. He basically said the only ones who are safe from this are people who have lived in a the jungle and never had any interaction or communication with anyone involving christ. Which is why they send missionaries into Africa etc to spread the word. Making everyone accoutable.... Kinda good, but really messed up....

As a kid, i never understood that. The church makes you FEAR god more than anything.

7. GoodVibes

GoodVibes Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Dont quote me here,by all means im not a priest or anything but the old testament was written before Jesus.The bible in a whole is a bunch of books put together to make up the bible.The old testament points to the coming of Jesus.I believe jewish people follow the old testament and Catholics like myself follow both.

8. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Jesus is the one and only true living God ever,the Christ,the Messiah as told and foretold since the beginning and eternal.

This cannot be explained properly on this forum,but I could explain it in person or by phone.

You will never understand it unless you seek Him,cry out to Him and He comes to you.
    If Jesus does not come to you,you will not believe.

He is God,he chooses who He chooses;it would make no sense if we chose Him.

Praise the Lord God Jesus Christ that this thread,so innocently started,survived the insults,exposed so many who are on the right path,and kept going so nicely.

Because only He is God,this little inquiry as always caused all this,as His name Jesus always does.

Like Him,awesome.

Thanks,Micah.

9. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009

this post exemplifies EVERYTHING that irritates me about people like this. they don't even attempt to explain it, they just hide behind rhetoric & mysticism. & i don't recall ANYONE insulting anyone else. this has been a very civil thread given the topic.

if you want to contribute to the thread, why not offer some conversation, rather than just spouting the same thetoric over & over?

10. GoodVibes

Jun 29, 2008
    I would have to say that I would call that an insult thou LOL

11. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    calling someone out about screwing up "hear" & "here" is an insult now? crap...i must be waaayyyy behind the times.

12. GoodVibes

Jun 29, 2008
    No worries 42,At least you and Beachbreak have something in common.You both surf and you both teach.Thats some kind of start I guess.

13. Shakagrom

Aug 22, 2008
    Yes the Old Testament was indeed written before the birth of Christ.

Honestly, as a Jew myself, I cannot say that I follow the Old Testament, though I consider myself a Jew. I am a reform Jew, which means that I am the farthest removed from Conservative and Orthodox Jewish practices. Because of this, I have been brought up on Judaism, but not on the Bible, per se. It is hard to explain. My parents have always said that they don't know if they can truly believe in any one single deity responsible for creating the earth and in all other forms that "he" (God) is described in the Torah.

The reason that I still consider myself a Jew is the tradition and community which the religion provides. I think that religion was created many many years ago, back in the days when people thought heliocentrism was absolute nonsense, in order to explain natural occurences such as tornadoes, hurricanes, avalanches etc. Now that science has guided us into a world of innovation and technology, religion seems almost laughable. However, people still hold on to their religion because they want to believe that all praying and worship had not been for naught.

Obviously my opinion is much different than others on this forum. However, many of my fellow reform Jews (neighbors, friends, relatives etc) seem to share similar views as my own. So, I am just sort of throwing the reform Jewish perspective out there, not trying to rile up any god-fearing souls who may be offended that I don't believe in God, or that Jesus was our Savior.

14. Shakagrom

Aug 22, 2008
    nah I don't think it's an insult. It always bugs me when people neglect to use proper English. Like when people confuse the possessive apostrophe with the plural form, or the difference between their/there/they're and your/you're, or when they use are/our interchangeably, or when they say "to" instead of "too", or when they don't have subject-verb agreement, or when they use "me" and "I" incorrectly, or when they end a sentence with a preposition, or when they write run-on sentences that don't make sense and make the reader lose his focus (like this sentence). =] Yea, maybe I should become an English teacher some day. hahaha

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  15. The Crumolator

The Crumolator Active Member

Jan 29, 2010
    this thread proves that MOSTLY every war was fought over religion.

some(most) people think that there better than others. sometimes those people are christians.so they throw christianity in peoples faces. goes the same for other religions too.

16. ughVeeBee

ughVeeBee Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2009
    The only invisible force that controls everything in the universe is gravity. I have total faith in that.

17. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008

That's why it's called FAITH.

18. Shakagrom

Aug 22, 2008
    yes that is a good point!

19. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Jesus is the Lord God, and that is not rhetoric, it is the truth.