Texas BodyBoarders

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Delta, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Delta

Delta Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Just wondering if anyone is BB around TX? I surf but some days it gets to big for my liking, I'm on a Longboard.

2. luvmonkey666

luvmonkey666 Member

Aug 15, 2009
    too big??what are you smoking haha

3. epic one

epic one Active Member

Feb 12, 2010
    in texas?? i dont get it?

4. gtowntreyble

gtowntreyble Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2008
    it may get too rough... but a chest high day on the texas coast is never too big

5. les freese

les freese Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I don't boadyboard much, but when I do, the face of the wave looks huge when laying on the stomach. Galveston has some good bb swell, do to "how the wave breaks so nice on a good day." Surfside has a more slower longboardable wave that kinda rolls rather then barreling over. What part of Texas are you talking about? It gets bigger the further south you get. I have surfed 16 footers in south padre. some would say thats to big. Texas gets big but never really TO BIG.

6. drewp

drewp Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Im new to texas, and a originally a bodyboarder from the east coast. Im deffinaty interested in learning where some of the heavier/steeper waves are at on the Texas coast. Im located in college station, and looking to do a 2 or 3 day trip if theres gonna be swell. Where should i check? Galveston you say?

7. les freese

Jan 15, 2008
    Its funner here in Surfside, but G-town has a nice shore break. We have no beach here right now and GLO is dumping a **** ton of sand within 3 months. there going out to our 3rd sand bar with sand and its deep out there so, shore break heaven this spring and summer. I think Surfside is going to be better this year then it has been in the past 10 years. Matagorda is kick ass but sharky, port-A and Corpus is the best in Tx. South Padre is very nice but I have problems with ppl starting shlt with me and others that are not from there. I say "go to south padre but watch you back". Those guys watched Point Break to many times.

8. les freese

Jan 15, 2008
  9. chincosurfer

chincosurfer Active Member

Jan 29, 2010
    im from the east coast and im staying in tx on north padre all summer... wheres the closest but best break around??

10. les freese

Jan 15, 2008
    If I was you I would bring as much respect to the packery channel. Don't mess around with those dudes over there, and stay out the way! Them locals are loco. There also the coolest ppl in tx so make sure you bring respect with you.

11. atthewall

atthewall New Member

Oct 12, 2009
    More surf options are available in the Coastal Bend region (Corpus Christi) than pretty much anywhere else along the Texas Coast. Port Aransas jetties (north - ferry ride over or south side)

Next to the PortA jetties is the Horace Caldwell pier

South of Port Aransas you hit the Packery Channel jetties. Buy a beach access pass for this scene, its good for a year. This is my main spot and the vibes are not heavy at all, just make sure you respect those in the water and it's all good.

Further south is Bob Hall pier

If you own a 4x4 and want a break pretty much to yourself, the Port Mansfield jetties is the place to be. It's about 55 miles down the National Seashore, 4x4 country, but you can find excellent breaks near Little Shell and Big Shell as you roll south. Near Big Shell, the beach is steep, deep Gulf waters cut up tight against the sand and the break is literally only 100 yards out or less. Down there you eyeball the surfline looking for rips to ride out and work the peak blowing up on this outbound rip current (lefts or rights).

The Port Mansfield jetties were recently dredged. This deepened the water up close to the beach allowing the swell to carry in with more punch. Many times during the warmer days of spring and summer, morning winds blow southwest which blow offshore on the north jetty side. This is my favorite break in Texas and part of this is simply due in fact it's not easy to get to. Drag a few surf rods and a kayak along.....eat like kings around the campfire! :)

12. gdaly

gdaly New Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Austin-

Looking to link up with people heading to the coast, mostly long board but will bdyboard when it gets good enough. crossing fingers for epic hurricane swell

13. Captainstoke

Captainstoke Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Thank you, thank you, thank you sand people!