Jeep Wrangler

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by JAMMAN, May 13, 2010.

1. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    Yeah. I'm tapped out too. the corbeau seats killed my budget but they were the last thing. my only concern about the JK (getting a 4 door next year) is the engine can't be nearly as reliable as the inline 6 and it doesn't have near the torque.

2. epidemicepic

epidemicepic Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2008
    why did they ever get rid of the inline 6???? they could have at least tried to replace it with something good....

3. Sandbar18

Sandbar18 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    Although I don't know the real answer, I'd guess emissions, mileage and the I6 is a big block of iron. They probably build this new engine cheaper, and use it in 15 different other vehicles.

4. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    yeah, I'm glad I bought mine when I did, I don't see how the new 3.7L engine that they're putting in the JK's could be better, and I'm not really impressed with the longer wheel base, granted the 4-door must have a ****load more room on the interior, still not sold on the it...although it took me until they came back with the round headlights to even consider buying a wrangler, they do look kick-ass lifted though, I must say...

5. cjswee

cjswee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Sites

Pirate4x4
    Md Jeep Club
    Nova Jeepers
    Virginia Krawlers

6. cjswee

cjswee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Xenon,,,

Is cheap but they look weird....really wide flair to them...Unless you at least have 35"'s.

I just got the Metal Cloak YJ Arched tube fenders....Pricey but nice..

http://www.metalcloak.com/PhotoDetails.asp?ShowDESC=N&ProductCode=2211

7. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I have always like Pirate 4x4 and Jersey Off Road . I use to have a 95 ram 2500 with 38 inch Iroks on it with 10 inches of suspension and 3 inches of body lift on it. I the skyjacker long arm kit on it lockers 36 spline axles and a bunch of other stuff. I sold it when My wife got pregnant and I bought a 95 Land Rover Disco 1 which is stock for the time being . If I dont lift that I am gonna buy a Duece and a half and be dont with it LOL:D

8. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    Tube fenders are def the way to go but I had to balance the project budget since my TJ goes to my son next year when he turns 16 so I wanted to make a sweet ride with moderate offroad ability. my new one on the other hand will be over the top.

I heard they got rid of the I6 mainly for gas mileage.

9. wbsurfer

wbsurfer Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2008
    dayummm dude thats alot of lift you got. im hoping one day i get my dads truck and put a nice lift on that maybe some bigger rims, since our tire guy said for every person i reccomend to go to him he will take like 2$ off the rims i want for my dads truck when i get it in a few years, as then im gonna start doing more traveling and my car the ford explorer he fixed the valve spring and my parents dont want it to go farther than 200 miles as we get free towing with AAA.

10. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    yea, i'm pretty happy w/ it just stock. it's plenty high enough for my purposes & if i went too much higher, my gf wouldn't be able to get in the thing anyway! :eek:

what i'd like to do one day when, i've got the $$$ to burn, is get an old beater box cherokee & fix it up w/ a small lift & bigger tires & a kick-ass stereo (always has been one of my main requirements) & a good set of racks & just use that as my surf-mobile & have a good, fuel-efficient sporty coupe or something to drive to work & run errands in. but right now, i like having one truck that works as everything.

11. delawaredell

delawaredell Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Unlimited is the way to go. I have been able to fit my 9ft board in the jeep (not while driving, just when I don't take it out and want it locked while I"m surfing) and my 5'6" fish fits over the back seat easily.
    I got a kargo master cargo rack, and it was one of the best modifications I've made. it's rated for 500lbs, but i bet it would hold alot more. I'd recommend getting the license plate relocator, as you can then tilt the rack the whole way back when you want to take the top off.
    project-jk.com is the forum that I use when I want to ask questions. lots of write ups, and tsp's, etc.
    If you have any questions on these mods you can ask me, as this is what I've done:

33's + 16" pro comp rims
    rear and front mopars + fogs
    3 in lift
    cargo rack
    license plate relocate
    neoprene seats - great for surfing
    dual tops + safari top
    snorkel
    kn air filter
    magna flow muffler

and make sure you keep the jeep wave alive.

Attached Files:

12. delawaredell

Nov 20, 2009
    and also, the v6 isn't that bad depending on your gearing. I have 3.73 manual and with the air intake and exhaust it goes just fine. You have 3.73 gears too if you have the '10 sahara. It has plenty of power for a jeep. You just won't win any races. The 4.10s in the rubi's are better, but too much $

13. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    Aren't 33s stock on the JK?

Watch the K&N filter I've read a ton about those actually harming your engine since they let more dirt in then a standard paper filter.

14. MATT JOHNSON

Oct 11, 2009
    Thats a nice Jeep but is the rest of your jeep been set up for high water crossing that snorkle isnt gonna help you at all if the rest of the truck isnt

15. bodyboarddude

bodyboarddude Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2009
    my dad was a master mechanic & he always told me,DON'T get the haynes manuals,they are consumer grade & don't have as much detail & info.ALWAYS,ALWAYS,ALWAYS, go with Chilton.some say they are expensive,but i got 1 covering just my chevy tahoe & it only cost me $20.i'm sure they have jeep-only one's too.do yourself a favor & get only the best manual right from the start....

16. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    The best is really the factory service manual. it's exactly what the mechanics at the stealership use. Much more detail than Haynes or Chilton.

17. MATT JOHNSON

Oct 11, 2009
    Agreed!!!!! I have the full Landrover libary on a thumb drive that I down loaded online. The factory manual is the best and most imformative. And is not that much more than a chilton if you look in the right places

18. bodyboarddude

bodyboarddude Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2009
    as for jeeps,i have always wanted a CJ8 Scrambler bad!!!! those things are sick lookin with a lift,skeleton doors & a bikini top!! i saw 2 for sale down here in Lewes,DE. gotta go see what they go for nowadays.....:D

19. delawaredell

Nov 20, 2009
    Yes, it's set up. breather hoses are extended. other than that, just don't sit in the water for long. Its more "insurance" than that I actually am going to drive it in up to the windshield.

20. delawaredell

Nov 20, 2009
    Dealer sold it to me and said it was good for life. Have the lifetime powertrain and engine warranty, so if something goes wrong, it's on my dealership. I've been happy with them so far, so I think they will honor it in the future. Already had my rear diff rebuilt under the warranty. They did the lift/tires for me, so everything is covered.