Portugal Surfing

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by bennysgohome, Jun 9, 2010.

1. bennysgohome

bennysgohome Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    A relative isn't using their timeshare this year. They gave it to me and my wife. We were thinking about using it in Portugal. I noticed that the surfing in Portugal is pretty consisent, but I'm not familiar with the surf in that country. We plan on going in the end of September and Early October.

Has anyone ever surfed there and have any advice? What are the best spots?

Thanks.

2. surfnut1018

surfnut1018 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2007
    there was an article about portugal in Surfer mag a few months back...might want to check it out. Surfline has good info too. I hear it is awesome, I'm thinking about making a trip there with the wife in a year or two.

3. Volcom732

Volcom732 Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Portugal

Hey man,
    I was actually fortunate enough to travel there two years ago during the spring. Unfortunately, they receive a lot of their swell during the winter, though I am sure you will find some spots. (Edit: If you go in october, you might be able to score Carcavelos beachbreak) We stayed in Cascais, and the waves there were about knee high, when we drove about 25 minutes north, it was like chest high and fun, so you can find some waves. We surfed in praia grande, ericeira (which is where the famous Coxos point break is). It's a beautiful place to just drive around and explore. I will look back at my photos and see where we traveled, otherwise. All of the spots we surfed were within an hour to hour and a half from Lisbon, so it depends on where you're staying. Also, check out wannasurf.com with the global atlas, and it'll tell you where the spots are. Enjoy your trip!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  4. DaMook

DaMook Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    late fall i think is the time to go. All the nor'easters seem to spin out to the north atlantic and make landfall on the european coastline. I followed a few lsat year and France seems to get the best and cleanest waves after being funneled through its rocky coastline. Portugal gets the brunt. I think it can get pretty heavy on those lows. have fun!

5. dredg2

dredg2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2007
    Hey, im from portugal and my parents have place there so I visit pretty much every year since I was 6. know my particular area pretty well surrounding peniche where the break supertubes is and the rip curl search contest was held last year. Its hard to honestly find a day where it is completely flat in that area from late Sept thru October. Supers always get a good heavy size swell oct or early nov.

Not only do you have supertubes, you have the very fun Baleal beachbreak north of peniche 5 minutes away, across the beach and north fun reaf break and then miles and miles of open beach breaks further north. All I have to say its a good time, beautiful, and you'll def be stoked even if its flat one day there is plenty to see, eat, and drink.

6. DaMook

DaMook Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    yeah and the women have great bodies, but are hellishly ugly!!! lol!!! just kidding...

7. dredg2

dredg2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2007
    hahaha, nah you got hotteis man not only portuguese but tourists in that area from all over so plenty of tail. But even if you do see ugly one, I bet they will have a nice $ss.

8. DaMook

DaMook Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    that is the absolute truth brother, amen. The food is better than spain's (depending), but the spanish women are so incredibly hot.

9. bennysgohome

bennysgohome Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Thanks everyone, but I just found out that the timeshare is now no longer available in Portugal. It's available in other countries including Barbados, but wife doesn't want to go there :(

10. surfg

surfg New Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Surfinn Surfcamps

Hi there!
    My advice would be, get in contact with locals and ask for information. I already stayed at a surfcamp there and it was great! They took me to the best spots each day!
    You might want to check them Surf'inn Surfcamps (info@surfinn.pt):
    www.surfinn.travel

Cheers and have nice waves!
    Gary