Whats going to happen!!!!

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by fupafest, Jun 18, 2010.

1. fupafest

fupafest Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    I just looked at the tropical forcast and its seems that at least a depression is going make it to the gulf. I super suprised I haven't heard any developing news on this. Could it be the start to it getting in the loop current? Does anybody know the effects of oil in a tropical storm? To say the least Im super concerned, thoughts? (P.S. I had a dream last night oil was on the Jersey shore, YUCK)

2. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    settle down. no model I've seen has oil hitting jersey.

3. wallysurfr

wallysurfr Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2007
  4. oipaul

oipaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2006
    Don't PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!

5. fupafest

Feb 16, 2010
    I was just mentioning that it was just a dream,you clearly missed that, BUT, I can't believe all of you are so non chelant about it. The only reason they can semi contain the oil is b/c there havent been any major storms...yet. Really the point of this thread was to see if anybody knows the effects of oil during a tropical storm and what can be done, if anything, to stop it from spreading into the loop current. Regardless, if oil reaches the east coast it WILL effect us in some way. I'm afraid all of you are getting media fatigue about this issue which is really really sad especially considering you use the ocean for your lifestyle.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  6. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    what good does panic and fear do? this was a major f&ck up on all levels (BP and US Govt). still getting all freaked out won't do diddly to stop it.

IF we start seeing oil in the keys I'll start watching more closely, and IF we start seeing it in NC I'll get concerned, then by some wild combination of circumstances it ends up in NJ I'll work clean up if needed.

7. fupafest

Feb 16, 2010
    Sad my dude, your way of thinking is just sad.

8. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    sorry. never thought the sitting around the campfire and sing kumbyyah ever solved anything.

No matter how much you wish things were different, they aren't so deal with it.

9. Lanticsurf

Lanticsurf Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    I'm on board with pumpmaster... getting all worked up and telling everyone the world is going to end does nothing

10. fupafest

Feb 16, 2010
    hey i love that song dont knock it. Your solution is wait until sh*t hits the fan then start action....lame, as a person and as a surfer. Your attitude is, deal with the litter and filth on the beaches, deal with contaminated water, deal with oil spreading throughout the gulf...again...LAME! This is the attitude that got us here in the first place. Seriously, if you dont think this is a National/Global tragedy, WAKE UP!!! No chicken little here but seriously, wake up the issues!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  11. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    your solutions?? cry and b!tch and moan? It was an ACCIDENT. These things do happen you know. it sucks but the silver lining is that it is probably not going to happen again.

12. wallysurfr

Oct 23, 2007
    but fupa, what do you recommend we do besides wait until it gets here and then clean it up? Go down there and clean it up? Not allowed. Write the congressman? Plenty of people already have. Buy a boat and drag some bed sheets throught the gulf? Not gonna cut it.

Tell us your thoughts...

13. fupafest

Feb 16, 2010
    Join surfrider and pressure your government to do SOMETHING. ANYTHING!!! I swear people have the worst ADD in the world. AGAIN!!!!!! UGH, this thread was started to see if anybody on here knows the, EFFECTS OF A TROPICAL STORM DURING AN OIL SPILL????????? I can go back and forth all day, but its a waste of time for everyone.

14. JMD

JMD Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2007
    I know I always loved the attitude that since it is not close to home "forgetaboutit". This goes for war an anything else that is not right in "our" backyard.

Maybe when it gets here it will be to late....

Sort of sad but hey, that is how our leaders run the world so why be prepared and take preventative actions in the first place?

15. JMD

JMD Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2007

An accident don't I recall them using a part that did not fit correctly? Or I could be dreaming....

16. wallysurfr

Oct 23, 2007
    join surfrider? what is that going to do?

17. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    Before your further whine about govt action read this: http://abcnews.go.com/WN/bp-oil-spill-gov-bobby-jindals-wishes-crude/story?id=10946379

govt is actually hindering REAL action by people directly affected!

18. fupafest

Feb 16, 2010
    Instead of giving you a slick senseless response...hopefully I can YOU invovled. Surfrider is really one of the only organizations that has OUR interest in mind. Power comes in nubmers so more people supporting a view the more likely it is to be heard. NOW, the real point. Surfrider is currently one org that is fighting to keep offshore drilling off the Jersey Shore. This may prevent a future disaster in our own back yard!!! Now is Surfrider still stupid?

19. Shakagrom

Shakagrom Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2008
    you sound like a NIMBY supporter. i agree that panic and fear dont do us any good, but all of us should still be concerned since the oil is absolutely impacting our shared interest, the ocean.

20. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    Concern is one thing, fear mongering is another.

Fupa, do a little research on surfrider and see what happens when surfing and the environment conflict (piping plovers in NC). surfrider doesnt always our interest in mind.

To reset tho...

As far as it getting into the loop and hitting NJ. Highly unlikely.

Getting sucked up and then raining back down on us? I think there was a thread a few weeks back that addressed this and the conclusion was that oil would not get sucked p into a storm like acid rain.