OCBP oversteps its bounds

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by bb.rider, Jul 16, 2010.

1. capesurfer

capesurfer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2007

lol

yo dont diss my bros. and it's not a frat, it's a fraternity. i live 2 work out hard then meet mad *****es at seacrets by night, and ya im from PA. i don't care about swell because i'm just here to get mad box, if u kno wut i mean. surfing is 4 girls and dewds who cant get gurls. neways yall jus chill or u mite get kicked off the beach again and this time by me, cuz if u piss me off thats the end of it, u goin to jail.

2. Mooseknuckle

Mooseknuckle Well-Known Member

May 12, 2008
    Capesurfer, where u been brah? Come to the atrium tonight and I'll bury u. Mad PA cougars that are looking for lifeguard appendage.

3. bb.rider

bb.rider Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2008
    i hear you bro. you were cool about it. that is why i got out right after i talked to you. honestly, i had no idea that the first dude was a lifeguard. he was on a surfboard and never identified himself as such.

its just that the 2nd guy pushed my buttons and that is why it escalated the way that it did.

in retrospect, yea i was wrong. in no way am a saying that i am 100% in the right. i should have have paid better attention. but i do have an issue with the way that sergent ed handled the situation. he had no right to swim out there to provoke me. i am a laid back dude, a lot of people would have swung on him if they were in a similiar situation.

i do appreciate what you guys do. i was in a mood that night, just didn't feel like dealing with it, i guess.

i my opinion, you guys should show a little more discretion when it comes to the surfing beaches. if it is the end of your shift, what is the problem with loosening the rules a little bit? ie: letting the surfers out a little earlier if there is nobody swimming, letting a sponger do his thing at an uncrowded "surfing only" beach, etc.

you are all right in my book bro, keep up the good work. sorry about the other night.

4. bb.rider

Apr 20, 2008
    it wasn't crowded. that is part of the issue that i had with it, but whatever, i should have paid better attention.

5. bb.rider

Apr 20, 2008
    easy killer. your favorite break is also my favorite break. if you saw my face you would know who i am, i know who you are. no need to get personal here and start calling people names.

i did not go about it the right way, i have no problem admitting when i am wrong.

however, a guard (segent at that) swimming out to provoke a fight with somebody is not right. the guards are there for the safety of the community, not to attack the community.

i stand by my words. that guy was wrong. i hope it doesn't happen again, to anybody.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  6. bb.rider

Apr 20, 2008
    there was hardly any current at all. i paddled the 4 blocks. i was having fun and getting a good work out.

i have to admit that the way you present yourself is a little kooky.:eek:

7. bb.rider

Apr 20, 2008
    a can of what? mace? that is the craziest thing i have ever heard. there is no way that is legal, not these days, anyway.

8. bb.rider

Apr 20, 2008
    spot on! couldn't have said it better myself.

9. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    way to expose your complete & utter ignorance of anything to *actually* do w/ lifeguarding. "can" is the common name for a rescue buoy or rescue can. it stems back to the early days of surf life-saving when it was actually a buoyant metal canister. this device went through several different incarnations & materials before plastic was first used in the early to mid 1970's. hence the term "can" in reference to the big, orange, plastic thing lifeguard carry around.

10. bb.rider

Apr 20, 2008
    yea, im not a lifeguard, so how the f*** would i know that? you should write a book about it smart guy.

and if you are implying that nobody got out of line on your watch because you would have hit them with a metal "can" while they were in the water.........

this is the attitude that i am taking a stand against.

11. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    I think he just meant that when I guy floats up to you with a Giant orange or Red floatation device, then you can bank on the fact that he is a lifeguard. I dont think he was referring to the can as a weapon, just a tool used to identify themselves, while also being a life saving tool.

12. capesurfer

Dec 11, 2007
    nah man, as "surf rescue technicians" we are teh authority on the beach. we have the power to write tickets and enforce all laws/ordinances. we aren't given citation books, so we call the police when we feel we need a citation should be given/an arrest to be made. but, just so you are aware, we do have that power. wouldn't want anyone standing up to a guard when they tell them to do something then ending up in jail/with a citation for polluting/drinking/surfing/skimboarding/etc because of heresay from an internet forum...

ed's a docile, rational, and fair dude, ps. i've known him for 5 years, and he would never instigate a fight, let alone physically 'threaten' anyone. dunno if this all went down as described.

13. capesurfer

Dec 11, 2007
    been working non-stop, surfing in the upper 30's, livin that summer lifestyle.
    i'm chillin tonight though i will stop in one of these nights. you have a way with words moose, i lol'd hard "mad PA cougars that are looking for lifeguard appendage" bahahhaha

hope people can tell when i'm making fun of stereotypes vs being serious [via bro talk and snarky attitude]

14. wavejunkie

wavejunkie Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2008
    dude, i feel for you. Lifeguards in NJ are an absolute JOKE!!!! Most are total A-holes on a powertrip. they think they own the beach and cant ever convey their message in a friendly tone. the only people that make $7 an hour and take their job as a matter of life and death...which it can be for little kids that caught in a current but thats about where their authority should end. hahaha, it makes me laugh, they are such idiots!!!!(i speak of the majority of lifeguards, not all...just to be clear)

15. zach619

Jan 21, 2009
    I was not questioning your "authority". I mean, if you tell the cops someone did something, they write them a ticket.

I was saying that, and correct me if im wrong, that you can "enforce" whatever you want, but you CANNOT TOUCH ME while doing it. If you paddle up to someone and try and physically remove them from the lineup, you are putting your life at risk, and potentially drowning them... So, my logic would tell me that in fact, you guys can paddle up and say whatever you want, but you CANNOT in any way shape or form get physical, or YOU will end up in jail.

Im not saying its right, but technically, if you make the call that some kid may drown, you go out and save him, on the way in, his neck gets bruised for the way you were holding him, then bam, technially they could sue you. I mean, its not right... But thats life...

If you don't have a police badge, you can't get physical wish anyone. Thats all Im saying...

Am I right in saying that... And please, let me remind you, I am not some anit-lifeguard d-bag. Im just stating facts...

I love my local lifeguards, but I have been cited by them before. They wrote my girlfriend a "leashless dog" ticket because she was holding our 6 pound black lab puppy in the parking lot while I was surfing. She had to stick around, because she couldn't tell me what happened cause I was surfing, so these a-hole lifeguards kept messing with her, telling her that the parking lot was part of the beach... Long story short, she was rude with them, got aa ticket... When I got out of the water, I made an absolute scene. I had like 20 lifeguards all trying to explain to me why they did it. They kept saying if she wasn't rude about it, then we wouldn't have done it.... But i cussed them out, told them they were on fake power trips and that they wrote a ticket for a 6 pounds puppy... all while pointing to the puppy in question and asking them, Do you feel like men now? Big tough guys. A week or so later, I was out surfing with one of the guys and we had a nice moment and made up, but I was like seriously dude, you wrote my girl a puppy ticket for standing holding a puppy while im surfing. Thats some weak sauce...

Took it to court and beat it anyway. The parking lot was NOT part of the area that was off limits, so THEY were wrong all together... Sorry for the rant.

So, other than that, I got nothing but love for all my lifegaurds....

16. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    then stop polluting the world w/ your ignorance on matters lifeguarding related. i mean seriously...your immediate assumption was that the guy was trying to imply that he was packing mace?? seriously?!? it's *almost* laughable. you may not have known was a can was, but there's no way you could possibly have any reason to assume a lifeguard would be carrying mace.
    & btw- there are plenty of books already written on the subject. educate yourself.

certainly not. no one got "out of line" on my watch b/c i made it a point to educate & interact w/ the beach-goers on a daily basis. not going to lie, tho...there was an occasion or 2 where very drunk, belligerent people threatened me & my safety & that rescue can worked well as a self-defense weapon. a quick shot of the semi-pointy end to the gut really knocks the wind out of a drunk quickly. & yes, i've "subdued" panicky bathers during water rescues, but not w/ the can. (it's a LOT more of a pain in the ass to swim in w/ deadweight than a person who can help kick). a jab to the gut usually straightens folks out when they mistake YOU for the can & try to support themselves on you.

17. wavejunkie

wavejunkie Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2008
    "surf rescue technicians"...haha, thats the best phrase i have ever read on the internet! thankyou

18. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    communication

All disputes, no mater what level or what intensity or what scale, come down to a very simple aspect:

Failure to communicate.

Humans pride themselves on being the intelligent species on the planet. Spoken language makes our species unique on Earth. Yet, humans still, to this day, can not seem to communicate.

We go to war because we can not communicate.
    We witness people shooting other people over parking spots, due to a failure to communicate.
    It's an endless list.

We have the planet in our hands.
    Yet, we still f**k it up right, left & center, consistently.
    A damn shame.

19. zach619

Jan 21, 2009
    Jersey42: So, since it you have had some experience, please explain this to me. I am honestly just asking out of curiousity.

If you were a guard, on duty, and an individual in the water had an argument with you. They did not swing at you, or physically threaten you, are you legally as a lifeguard or BP agent allowed to touch the citizen? Like, try and drag them in, or put them in a the life saving neck lock and paddle them in. You can't touch them right? Unless they are in distress?

I understand that, if during a water rescue, the victim is flailing or feraking out, that you might need to apply pyshical pressure to subdue them....

And if some drunk attacks you, you are defending yourself, legally since you are being attacked.

But if some guy tells you to f*** off and to go eat your can, you really can't touch him right? You would legally have to paddle back in, call the cops and let them rough him up when he gets in? Right?

Im just saying, that unless your physcal wellbeing is in jeopardy, then you cannot get physical in any way shape or form with a swimmer...

Am I correct in that assumption?

20. dreadhead

dreadhead Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    BB Rider, your stupidity amazes me. Fine if you've never been a lifeguard, but didn't you ever watch BayWatch growing up? Like NJsurfer said, get some education kid.

We've already discussed that the guards are doing their job. And I wouldn't risk my job at the end of the day to let surfers in before 5:30, especially if they weren't my buddies. Let alone a sponger on a surf beach. I want to get in before 5:30 as much as the next guy, but I'm not going to the blame the guards for doing their job. Give respect to earn respect.

And as far as your rant goes, you were clearly in the wrong, which you admitted. So I'm not going to beat a dead horse, but I have a hard time believing an OCBP Sarge really verbally threatened you in the water. After hearing the 3rd guard's side of the story, it seems you embellished your side to made it sound like you were in the right. So take your ticket, go to court, pay the fine, and learn your lesson.