OCBP oversteps its bounds

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by bb.rider, Jul 16, 2010.

1. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    exactly.

i would be getting my superior involved. the average guard on the stand has no place getting the police involved as the immediate next step.
    if my superiors want to bring the cops into it, that's there call, not mine.

but as i understand the law, even cops can't lay a hand on you just b/c you tell them to f--k off, either. sure, they can slap you w/ a citation or arrest you, but they can't strike you. that would be assault, no matter what uniform you wear.

then again, if the situation is far enough out in the water so that someone watching from shore would have trouble judging what was happening, the guard could "force" the situation, causing the offending person to be in distress. then drag his limp, unconscious body to shore. ;) "i dunno, sir. he was yelling at me, then he just passed out."

2. Ray F.

Ray F. Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2009
    I've read his posts and don't believe he was eluding to hitting anyone with anything. He's stating the can helps to identify you as a lifeguard. For what it's worth, I've never been a lifeguard, but I comprehend what he was saying.

I'm starting to believe, by your tone on these posts, that the hostility may not have been all on the lifeguards' part. Is it possible that you were embarrassed about being confronted and reacted irrationally?.

3. lax8810

lax8810 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Ignorance to the law is not legal justification for breaking it.

I understand you positioning and why you are defending yourself. But if you park in a no parking area and get a ticket, you cant say well i didn't know it was a no parking zone regardless if the person writing the ticket id's them self as a law enforcement officer.

Still think he should of taken a torp. though.

4. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    after reading through this I can't understand why the surf beach guards didn't swim out and tell you to GTF out of the water? It's been a while since I've been to a surf beach in OCMD but i recall they constantly whistle so it's easy to tune that out. their reaction sounds too much like an authority trip to me. thankfully in jerz most surf beaches actually have guards on boards or in boats IN THE LINE UP so this type of thing wouldn't happen,

5. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I can understand if you didnt hear them whistling at you . I know the guards at the surfing beach I go to are on them every 3 seconds getting people swiming or on a Sponge without fins out of the surfing beach . After 20mins of hearing it I dont even notice it.

I think you should pay the fine move on and use this as a learning experience. Most life guards are kool if you are kool to them . The ones at the surfing beach in NwW are pretty cool and if they know you they tend to give you a little bit more slack depending on how busy the beach is that day

6. capesurfer

capesurfer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2007

word 'bro' / 'word' bro

7. bb.rider

bb.rider Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2008
    yea, i totally misunderstood him. sorry njsurfer. i am taking my foot out of my mouth now.

i never watched baywatch and i have never been a lifeguard. so sure, there are lots of things i don't know about it. it doesn't make me stupid. i am a plumber. how many of you know anything about plumbing?

i don't have any hostility towards lifeguards. if i saw sgt. jackass out somewhere i would probably buy him a beer. i'm just saying, he pissed me off that night. i feel he was out of line. the last thing a guard needs to bring to the water is aggression

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  8. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009

Yeah it keeps me from ****ing outside and not going to the river twice a day for water.

9. OBlove

OBlove Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2006
    whatch your self chrissy!

hey chrissy, i was at the comp all day and not one guard paddled out to surf. there were guards who were competing on paddle boards so they may have warmed up on their boards. but 10'6" with 6" rails is not my standard pick for surfing.

and most of the guards didn't know there was even a comp going on. 95% of guards care less about comps. and the comp was on 21st street. not 35th. so what was your point anyway?

10. jerseytubes

jerseytubes Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Never knew a headquarters could be "gay." This is Jersey we are talking about right? I mean you know the deal, and if you don't then you should ask somebody...

Fork the 50 over with a smile :)

http://seasandsurf.com

11. lbsurfer

lbsurfer Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2009
    lifeguards can be annoying sometimes. This one time a couple years ago I was out in Long Branch and it was a red flag day so no one was in the water. And I drifted between the flags because the current was really strong that day and one of the lifeguards were surfing. I had no idea he was a lifeguard, he had a shortboard and a wetsuit. Then he said (pointing to the other side of the flag) "get the f*** over there before I kick your a**." This guy was like 20 years old and i was around 14 at the time

12. wallysurfr

wallysurfr Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2007
    whenever a lifeguard tells me not to go in, to go to a certain beach or whistles me out, I want to challenge them to a swim race.

I respect authority but like posted previously, where were they when I was surfing double OH in 38 degree water in February? Is it a liability thing?

I never understood why they make 40 surfers surf at the same beach when there's no one swimming at the other beaches. ESPECIALLY when there's a yellow flag and "bathers" are only allowed in to their knees or waist.

The real question is why do swimmers have more rights to the ocean than surfers?

13. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009
    sure...i get to pick the conditions, tho. (btw, my experience shows that most surfers can't swim for $#it...hence why they feel the need to be connected to their boards via leash at all times.)

i can only speak for myself, but i'm in the water, too. prob. more frequently than you.

b/c the swimmers spend more money more frequently in the towns than surfers do. they complain louder b/c there's more of them. & no one wants to see a little kid playing in the whitewater get creamed by a loose board or someone who can't control the board while they ride a wave.
    it's also a throw back to when surfing wasn't nearly as popular as it is now. the bathing regulations were set up in the 1950's & 60's when surfing really wasn't popular. the battle for "surfing beaches" is a recent one...w/in the last few decades...to combat the fact that towns would ban it outright in the summer months. think about that, b/c it's the alternative....no surfing beaches whatsoever.

of course, then we come to the real issue...the swimmers only have "more right" to the ocean than surfer during guarded hours. sorry, but what right thinking surfer actually CHOOSES to surf at the most crowded time of day?? that's what i don't get here. it's almost always better early in the morning or late in the evening, so why both w/ the 10-5 crowd at all? stay at home & work around the house or sit on the beach & read a book. don't do battle w/ the inland kooks that don't have a clue. pretty sure this entire thread could've not happened if the OP had surfed early AM or late PM.

14. wallysurfr

wallysurfr Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2007
    ok, I hope you would choose something challenging though like hurrican swell at low tide... I must be the exception because I'm a very strong swimmer and I have never worked as a lifeguard, but I would say I've probly made more saves then most at my beach (and they get paid to make saves).

you must be the exception because I would say 90%, or more, of guards are not surfers round here. Not going to argue who surfs more often, I hope you see my point though. but I do surf more than you... jk.

I can't agree with the last statement. Surfers drive a lot of the economy in the local towns. We support the local surf shops. Do you think and BENNYs would be going out to buy a Billabong t-shirt if it wasn't for surfers? Who supports the local business' in the off season?

I don't know I've heard some surfers complain pretty loud... like me right now... lol

I choose to surf in the middle of the day when my schedule allows for it. I'm sorry but I don't have time to sit and read a book while I wait for the guards to leave. yes the winds are most favorable usually in the morning and evening. But what about when it's red flag and they still make surfers go to designated beaches? That's just not right....

I propose every other beach on the stretch is a surf beach.

15. dreadhead

dreadhead Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Are you kidding? As a lifeguard you should know that surfers are required to wear leashes at most beaches. If you don't, its just another reason for a citation and another epic whine sesh on this forum.

I second this proposal. Too bad we don't live in a democracy...:rolleyes:

16. bbdottk

bbdottk Active Member

May 27, 2007
    For what it's worth, you have to remember where the guards are coming from. As has been noted earlier, the vast majority of them are high school and college kids who like the job security and pay that lifeguarding gives. With that said, your standing can be placed in serious jeopardy if you don't follow the rules, including making sure that no surfers paddle out on a swimming beach until you leave. A big part of this rule is liability... just think about it, a six foot fiberglass surfboard ridden by a 200 pound surfer is a hell of a lot more dangerous than a 24 inch boogie board ridden by a seven-year-old.

Also, remember that many "surfers" are just beginning or are trying it out for the first time. How many times during the summer do you get snaked by somebody who can't even stand up? And of those people, how many of them lose control of their board when they wipe out? All of this generates danger to swimmers which surfers and spongers with fins can more readily avoid.

17. rgnsup

rgnsup Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2008
    This thread is still going on?

It's almost as good as bodyboarding vs. stand up. :p

18. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009

& as a surfer, you should know that, law aside, most surfers couldn't save their own lives in DOH surf w/out a goon cord.

19. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009
    you are most assuredly the exception to the rule if you can swim well & don't resemble either whitey's 5 course meal or an epileptic elephant seal while swimming.

i think this depends on the town & the rapport that town has w/ it's surfers. douchbaggery aside, lifeguarding is a great summer job option for people who like being in & around the ocean as much as possible. i learned A LOT about the ocean from the veteran guards when i was between the ages of 15 & 20.

surfers may be more consistent in their visits to local towns, but how many surfers do you know that go mini-golfing? how many go up to the boardwalks & go on the amusement park rides? how many buy crappy souvenier t-shirts or hats? surfers support the core surf shops, that's true. but all the other businesses are kept afloat by the non-surfing masses during the summer season. sorry, but your favorite taco stand wouldn't be around if the tourists went away.

now, i'm not saying that the rules governing surfing beaches don't need a dose of sanity injected into them in most towns. i live in ocnj & thus am pretty lucky. we have a good relationship w/ the city council & beach patrol here. however, the reason things stand as they do in most beach towns is exactly what i stated in my previous post. it's only been w/in the past couple decades that surfing has been accepted by the mainstream. that's both a blessing & a curse. there are more people in the water, but it's considered more legitimate, so more surfing-only areas are being opened up. it's a double edged sword.
    also, we all have to keep in mind that in a lot (most) cases, the beach patrols don't write the regulations regarding surfing & surfing beaches. the city council or office of public safety does. & the guards (who may or may not be surfers...every patrol i've been a part of has put surfer lifeguards in charge of the surfing beaches) are stuck w/ the often unenviable job of enforcing those regulations.

20. Alvin

Alvin Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    I'm spoiled. I surf only Assateague/Chincoteague waters. We have no rules Except the obvious. Be mindful of whos in the water: swimmers, boogieboarders, newbies, and those of us who've been surfing forever. Respect is foremost. We have a guarded beach where they request surfers not to surf mostly so they dont have to worry about us because they have enough on their hands. I just saved a 75 yr old swimmer caught in the rip. paddled over to him had him grab my board, I paddled in and met the lifeguard halfway who took over from there. both the elder and the guard were very appreciative. I know all the guards and the head of the lifeguards. He also surfs. I think its a bit dumb to paddle into a surfboard only zone, crowded and probably full of "me first" attitudes. Been there done that, never again. Why the guards thought it ok to just paddle up to you though and not identify himself is arrogant. Calling in the cops is even worse since I've heard most OC cops behave like they're fighting terrorists so they can get brownie points or something. Not to be trusted. Definately complain but also realize that you might have to pay the ticket and be more mindful and respectful. so often I've seen bdyboarders sitting in the takoff zone and pissing off all the surfers. Ist St in Va Beach is a good example of this problem. I'm sure its prevalent in other crowed surf zones as well. People get hurt, Its very dangerous. Thank God for open beaches!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010