nasty water

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by mOtion732, Sep 7, 2010.

1. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    we could also find us a busty redhead to organize a class action suit against the gov't for slowly killing us. But then our gov't is ass broke, so i dont know how much good that would do either. Join surfrider.

2. rmit

rmit Active Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I didnt really notice the dirty water, but now i have a sinus infection too. Perfect timing for the first few days of school.

3. Muleskinner

Muleskinner Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Still Tired

I'm still really really tired and its been 5 days since i surfed. Now I'm dryheaving alot and hungry all the time:eek::eek:

4. stoneybaloney

stoneybaloney Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    I've been using the Dukestorm link to Surfrider to report my local water quality. I haven't really gotten sick yet, but I have been reporting it every time I see it. Hopefully it is doing some good. :confused:

5. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    yes

Support Surfrider.....and go get checked when you're spewing a mixture of apres-surf snot & blood....!
    :(

6. live aloha

live aloha Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Surfrider is not enough

Surfrider (while good) is not enough. We're talking about the whole agriculture/industrial complex of the east coast. You think politicians care two cents about a bunch of hippie surfers against the big lobbies that they NEED to stay in office. You're on crack if you think surfrider alone can do that, even if every quasi-surfer in the US joins up. What needs to be done is the health effects publicized. As I mentioned earlier, it's not just surfers affected (though we are the MOST affected). All those folks wading around and swimming in the shorebreak are at risk too, including the families and children of CEO's and congressmen. Until they and everyone else understands the reality of what is happening, NOTHING will change. Even when they do understand, it's still going to take a lot more than a few bs bills from the Capital. People need to actually CARE about sustainability and work toward it, and that'll get us maybe 60% of the way there. It's also a mere population issue. Poop has to go somewhere. People have to eat. Wal-mart needs cheap plastic bags and water bottles. I'm not saying give up, but, rather, STEP IT UP. I'm just as guilty as anyone else, and we have to do more.

7. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Well said & true dat.

Unfortunately, America's professional politicians care about one thing: getting re-elected, so they can line their pockets with taxpayer & corporate greenbacks.

Until the pols realize that we the people care about oceans & beaches, and that we the people decide to stand up to corporate greed & special interest greed, we're going to continue to get screwed over on everything, and that def includes our oceans & beaches.

Just keep paying more & more taxes, my fellow lemmings. It's not getting any better. :mad:

8. mOtion732

mOtion732 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    sinus infection since last monday, just had to get antibiotics. this is getting annoying

9. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    seriously. go get sinu cleanse or a netipot. i did antibiotics for years until an ENT friend of mine told me that they aren't all the effective. started doing the cleanse and that works great.

10. mOtion732

Sep 18, 2008
    i've had a netipot for a while, and have been using it throughout the week. my sinus are so jammed that the solution won't get to the other side. partying last night definitely didn't help either. i don't like taking any sort of pills unless i have to, and it's been like a week so i just said **** it.

11. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    yeah that's a def downside to surfing. I do a decongestant to break it up then slam the sinu cleanse.

12. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    My sinuse have been bad the past cpl weeks. I cough all the time and I have really bad post nasal drip too. The netti pot helps alot and so does drinking lots of water too. I only will take meds if its to the point where I cant work

13. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    dont forget too that the west winds are hammering with allergens from the land. if you have any kind of allergies, that may be a big factor.

14. mOtion732

Sep 18, 2008
    yeah, it's definitely not helping. doc said sinus infection, plus i feel it in my ears too. just gonna take it easy this week and be good for what hopes to be some fun surf next weekend

15. edshreds

edshreds Active Member

Mar 21, 2010
    i just got over an illness from the ocean.. the doctors thought i had either mono or diabetes but both came up negative so we cam to the conclusion that it was from the ocean. i lost 8 pounds in less than a week, i was extremely tired always sleeping, and a sore throat like id never felt before

16. mOtion732

Sep 18, 2008
    damn dude, where you from? report that:

http://www.surfriderjsc.org/ocean_illness_form.asp

17. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Wow. I am fu**ing shocked to hear everyone on this site, within the same week report all of these gnarly syptoms. That is crazy....

I mean, I have gotten on here and *****ed about the SD sewage system that they dump off my local coast. 5 years ago, I ended up in the ER twice from surfing a rivermouth the day after a big rain storm...

So yeah, we all learn our lessons. In 6 years, I havent surfed after a rain storm since and have never had an ear infection, sinus infection or anything...

I never got sick as a kid in OC MD. Ever. Never never never.

So, that is reallty disheartening to hear, because although we can all say "believe" and "hope" and all that nonsense, but if the water quality is that bad already, its irreversable. I mean, everywhere from Baltimore to OC MD has been polluting the Chesapeake bay for decades. Its been in issue in WESTERN MD since I was a kid. So, to think that any local govenerment, or city agencies are going to stop this is out of this world.

All of our waterways channel through multiple counties, multiple juristictions, most of the time, MULTIPLE states... TALK ABOUT PASS THE BUCK.... When there is no accountability, there will never be a solution.... When Jersey's shore was DESTROYED in the 80s, they took no responsibility. It was all blamed on NYC, so they pay some little fines and nothing ever changes... Everyone passes the buck....

Its over. Its too late. Things will only get worse in years to come, so get used to it. There is not enough money in the world to have ANY level of corporate america, even the small local chapters to give two sh**s about it. If it hurts the bottom line, no one will jump on board...

Its like the whole US vs the World theory... Yeah, everyone in CA and MASS can go out and buy a prius, and recycle, and "save the planet", meanwhile, the entire continent of South America, all of asia and most of africa all pollute and dump smoke and garbage into every natural resource we have....

So, i have to be negative nancy over here, but... its too late guys. Our parents could have done something. BUT THEY DIDNT./.... Its too late for us to "fix anything".... We can maybe prevent it from destroying the entire ocean, but sh**.... GAME OVER>>>>>

You think you are going to get the 8.5 million people who live on an island DIRECTLY north of the whole jersey coast to stop their lifestyles, and pay more money to discard fo trash etc.... The entire east and west coast is over populated. We have already run through our resources...

Like I said, game over... Move while you can. Move out of this god forsaken country if you love the ocean so much. America has destroyed it...

AND I HAVENT EVEN MENTIONED BP!!!!!!

Im not saying that you all got sick cause of BP, but WAIT ANOTHER YEAR, UNTIL ALL THAT GARBAGE DOES GET UP NORTH.... We all fu**ed ourselves....

Game over.... Ocean enthusiasts of any kind all lost. The battle ended years ago... we will just have to deal with this sh** for eternity.....

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  18. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    yep

I agree. Unfortunately.

We're also fishing the hell out of the oceans to feed the increasing billions of humans. The fish stocks are not recovering fast enough. We're on the downward slope even now.

I always wonder how the hell anyone anywhere on the planet (with few exceptions) can basically get seafood on any given day. WTF is that ? Modern fishing methods raping the ocean, combined with fast product transfers from ship to shore, and refrigeration combined with jet transport. If you stop to think about it, there's no way this can possibly be sustained by the planet.

Before it all becomes extinct, you'll be paying $ 100.00 for any piece of fish that the mega-corps can't drug-infuse with growth hormones & antibiotics & breed on a polluted fish farm.

19. live aloha

live aloha Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2009
    yep

Yep, and I don't mean to sound like Chicken Little, but Mother Nature WILL take over when necessary. I don't know how it's going to happen, but I've been starting to feel lately that we're a lot closer to the breaking point than any of us wants to believe. Read up on China and it's growth, and you will be utterly shocked. It's crazy. "Hot, Flat, and Crowded" by Thomas Friedman links it all together really well, if you don't feel like doing the research on your own. Either way, we're basically at or a little bit past the "sustainability" situation. The only reason we're not starving in the US is because the rest of the world IS.

The only question is how it's going to happen. Is the rest of the world going to eventually decide to "revolt" against America and other affluent countries? I don't think so, but it's a possibility. I think it's gonna come about through disease. As we genetically alter just about everything these days, we're putting stuff in our bodies for which we really don't know the long-term consequences. In genetic engineering, we encourage the mutations that we want, but it's still all probability to some extent. There's other stuff happening in the DNA, and we have no control over how our bodies will react to the stuff because they've only begun digesting this stuff over the last decade or so. It could also (more likely) come about from dirty water. Sewage contamination, like Zach mentioned, is a huge problem, and it's getting worse. A lot worse, and the rate at which it's getting worse is increasing. There will come a point where we might exceed our ability to process our own excrement, and guess where it'll end up? Ultimately, it ends up in the food, water supply, etc. There's a thousand different ways in which disease is knocking on our door. I believe it's only a matter of time before something comes along that's going to decimate the human population. Think I'm crazy? It's already happened in our own hemisphere. Look up the latest research on Native American populations and how they plummeted by between 80-98%, depending on which research you accept. 80%!!!! The Black Plague, by comparison, killed up to 40% of Europeans. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but does it scare the crap out of anybody else that our governments just refuse to believe this could happen? Pure craziness.

20. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    I agree. If you hate America so much then move the f&ck out!! People b!tch and moan about how the US is the root of all evil but fail to look at the environmental records of just about every other country on earth. Most of your precious third world countries dump EVERYTHING directly into the water!

Take a few minutes and research how much money and food aid the people of the US give to the rest of the world and no other country even comes close!

Stop being hypocrites and GTF out! You sit here in nice homes on nice computers driving nice cars and complain about how bad our country is.

Oh LA, does the term avian flu mean anything to you? Did we ignore that?