longboard brands

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by gnargnar, Sep 23, 2010.

1. gnargnar

gnargnar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2009
    so i have a longboard of my own, i picked it up at the local shop, and i absolutely love it but this was when i was first starting to surf about five or six years ago and i never really researched the product. so a friend of mine approached me at school asking what brand longboard he should get, a handshaped on, no pop-out's allowed, and i drew a blank, so i told him i'd put in a post on swellinfo. i need some help, any solid brands?

2. ND081

ND081 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Walden magic model wtf

3. Lanticsurf

Lanticsurf Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Yea Waldens are nice boards. Patagonia has a nice nose rider. Surftech has some nice boards.

4. El Porto

El Porto Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2007

I think Tyler Hatzikian makes some killer boards:

http://tylersurfboards.com/

5. Lanticsurf

Nov 11, 2009

Yea his boards are awesome..singlefin yellow

6. Surferdann

Surferdann Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Stewart Hydroglide...single fin. absolutely love it in any size surf.

7. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    did you read his post? no popouts! patagonia is the only one of the 3 you listed that isn't foreign-made crappola.

check out austin in va beach, tim nolte & scott busby in nc, & brian wynn in nj. then there's the big names, like bing, takayama, harbor, pearson arrow...there are literally as many quality longboard brands as shortboard.

8. kev711

kev711 Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Donald Takayama seams to be a legend. i hear great things about his boards and has a cool site.
    http://www.hawaiianprodesigns.com/

I spoke to Brian Winn..really cool guy and seems honest....he actually talked me out of paying an extra $50 for a wild color scheme and just go with plain white(cheaper).
    has come cool looking boards.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Robbinsville-NJ/BC-Winn-Surfboards/122914562268?ref=ts

I rode a 10'4 Jimmy Lewis in Waikiki last month that can catch a ripple if you threw a rock.

9. ND081

ND081 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    wait i thought it was Wynn not WINN

10. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I have ridden different types of longboards performance 2+1 setups , Single fin performance , Noseriders and Old school logs.

It depends what they wanna do on a log and what they wanna spend

Bing has been around for a long time and they have work with David Nuuhiwa and Donald Takayammi in the 60's and today with shapers like Chris Del Moro and Matt Calvani.

They pretty much draw the line in longboard design.

Brian wynn make a good log but a little to light for me . I just like my boards heavy and I am sure if I wanted one heavy he could do it but I bought a board off the self of his so it got his standard glass job.

Jim at Legend Surfboards make great boards from short to long you cant go wrong with a board made by him . Great Quality and I can say enough good things about jim and his boards.

And then there is the High dollars boards like Cooperfish. Gene has been makeing boards for a long time and is taking longboards to new places. His boards a working peices of art . Even his Coopdesigns line of boards are off the chart

It really boils down to how much you wanna spend

You can get a 500 dollar pop out or spend 2500 dollars on the top of the line Cooperfish

11. kev711

kev711 Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    hey matt, great advice. i love all the stuff i've been learning since i joined the fourm. I was kinda on the fence about getting a custom fish made by brian, even though he was really nice when i spoke to him. I didn't know how reputable he was but i think i'm going to give him a call when i'm ready for something smaller than a 9'0

anyone else have any info on him?

i just looked up Cooperfish surfboards and....WOW!! they are beautiful. i'd be too afraid to ride it

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  12. pkovo

pkovo Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    I second Stewart. I had a Stewart Hydrohull that was an awesome board.

I don't have any boards from Wynn, but have heard great things about him. he's been at it a while, used to shape out of CA. Has a big glassing operation too. Glasses some other local shapers boards. I've heard his glass jobs are very good/strong. I think he specializes in retro fish shapes with resin tints and such, but can shape about anything.

13. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009

i've worked w/ brian on a number of boards over the years & never had a complaint of any kind. the man's a class act...he learned the trade under stu kenson in california, but came back to nj to be closer to family (he's originally from vineland) w/ his own wife & kids.
    the man can shape you anything...my log (& it is a log...heavy as hell! but i wanted that, so...no whining from me) is one of his models, i've gotten countless bonzers from him over the years, a couple small wave jobs...
    & yes, it's WYNN, not winn or any other variation on the spelling. you'll find out when you order a board from him!

14. rDJ

rDJ Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2007
    If you are in Howell you've got a excellent longboard shaper right next door in Wall. Tom Mahady of Mahady surfboards, http://www.mahadysurfboards.com/ http://mahadysurfboards.blogspot.com/
    Prices are very reasonable. He just got a contract with Corky Caroll to make boards for his surf camp. Corky was five time US overall surfing champion, three times international professional champion, international big wave champion and named the number one surfer in the world by surfer magazine back in his day. He is also considered by many to be the first professional surfer. Pretty good validation for a NJ shaper if you ask me. He's shipping boards from NJ to the surf camp in Mexico.

15. Lanticsurf

Nov 11, 2009

Weird I have a handshaped Walden that I really enjoy. Also I guess I was misinformed about the surftech tuflite I never knew pop outs could be so strong and responsive. When referring to pop outs I usually think of Canyon, surfboards Austrialia, Challenger "crappola" like that. Not high quality epoxy boards or hand shaped fiber glass boards but thats just me.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  16. krummy

krummy Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    To clarify you can definately get a Walden that is hand shaped in the US by Walden himself. But any of the GSI model poly or surftech are pop outs. I have an 8' Magic Poly that is a pop out i bought because the price was too low to pass on. Love the board it i sick surf like a shortboard and paddle like a longboard and you can nose ride it. But it is cheap in construction only had it 2 years and it is beat to hell no dings but major compressions all over it probably wont last too long. Just wanted to calrity though that you can get a real handmade in the US Walden but they are more expensive.

17. johhnyutah

johhnyutah Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Longboards,
    Bill Stewart makes great boards. I've ridden the ESP, Collin McPhillips performance board and the Hydrohull and they are all sweet!

I have a Takayama In the Pink that is also sweet when it's less than head high, but the lack of nose rocker slows it down a bit when you're trying to make a section.

You may be able to get hold of a Ted Kearns (NC) shape. His boards from NC were glassed by Gale Force Glass. I have a perf. noserider that is sweet.

If you are looking for a true log, and don't want to spend too much, check out a Ward. Heavy, hand shaped and sweet and maybe 700 new.

Good Luck

18. kev711

kev711 Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    ok big guy....didn't mean to offend anyone but there is more than one Brian making surfboards in NJ.
    there is Brian Wynn http://www.wynnsurfboards.com/

and Brian Winn http://www.facebook.com/pages/Robbi...bbinsville-NJ/BC-Winn-Surfboards/122914562268

so Brian Wynn seems to make some great stuff so i'll definitely be giving him a call when i'm ready but have anyone heard of the other Brian? (Winn)?

sorry for the mix up guys

19. Lanticsurf

Nov 11, 2009

What about the surftech models by Takyama, Joel Tudor, G&S, Harbour, etc. those are all "pop outs"?

20. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    well...if you think a surftech is a pop out (and that would seem to be the case) then yeah those would also be pop outs. Just because Donald Takayama or Joel Tudor let their name get pasted on a board, doesnt mean it didnt get popped out of an assembly line