your one favorite song

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by diewalrus, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    "The Popcorn" - James Brown
    barely any words and a short song, but I could put this track on repeat and listen to it for hours and still get amped from hearing it the 100th time...haha

2. Double Over-toe

Double Over-toe Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I have 2 guesses.

1) Your Old School and you rock all the originals: Zep, AC/DC, Frank Zappa, The Who, Tom Petty, Stevie Ray Vaughn, etc. (which is no where near a bad thing) and believe that almost all of the music nowadays is just banging of trashcan lids and lyrics about sex, killing someone, or how to rape a skank.

2) You listen to mainstream music, like whats on the radio.

I would take take the bands you see on this thread and check out all of their music, i bet most of em you'll enjoy.

but those are my guesses and i could be totally off

3. bananadogpizza

bananadogpizza Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    the navesink banks by gaslight anthem

and carol of the bells by august burns red (since its almost christmas)

4. cgrizzard

cgrizzard Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Marilyn Manson - Beautiful People (heard it on 96x the other day and Ive gotten back into a lot of manson)

Mickey Avalon - Romeo and Juliet

Sorry I have two right now:cool:

5. wbsurfer

wbsurfer Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2008
    speaking of mickey avalon mine is my ****.

6. live4truth

live4truth Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Wolfmother...any song...but partial to Tales from the Forest of Gnomes...love that song!

7. wesman944

wesman944 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2008
    allman brothers- blue sky

8. Bad Bug Surfing

Bad Bug Surfing Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Effin Right man!!!! Great song

9. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    They had 3 total albums. 1 of which was kind of crap and the other 2 are nevermind and In Utero. The band was around for 4 years. Everything else is just ablums of old live shows and crap like that.

Nevermind was good. In Utero was pretty good. Other than that, the dudes were useless. Some people in my generation look at Kurt Cobain as some musical geneous. I dont see it that way. He was a coward who made a few decent albums while slipping ni and out of Heroin binges....

4 years, 3 albums (2 that are relivant) and then he died. Nirvana is the most overrated band ever.

If Kurt Cobain lived longer, they would have just made worse and worse music. You can only really call a band legendary etc if they put out a TON of material, ALL OF WHICH is awesome.... He proved nothing to me. He had a few hits. Big deal.

He was on the forefront of "grunge" which was whiney and cool at the time, but his music doesn't come close to legendary. Just another washed up junky who never amounted to sh**.

At least sublime dropped like 6 or 7 albums. At least you can look at their body of work and be like, man all of sublimes music was rad. All of it. They rocked us out for over a decade....

Nirvana was just a flash in the pan... Kurt Cobain knew that his best material was already recorded and that he would never be able to live up to it.... He ran out of lyrics. Had no more ideas. So he chewed on a 12 guage.

10. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
  11. magic left

magic left Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Keep it thoro

PRODIGY!

12. Jrusso

Jrusso Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2007
    glad to see someone on my level! most of that album is great but for some reason that some has caught my attention like few songs ever have. i show my friends and they're like what is this sh!t... its my number 2 most played song on itunes.

which brings me to another song/ band that we should all know of as surfers:

SURFER BLOOD. its a cali band. listen to the whole album but start with anchorage, floating vibes, and fast jabroni.

every song is about surfing

13. GnarActually

GnarActually Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2007
    all you dudes should check out a band from Ventura called deepakalypse. there the ****. Everyone of you guys would life them. they have 2 songs in First Chapter By Dane Reynolds and they flat out rip

14. conway

conway Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Sorry, but your opinion is wrong. They released three studio albums and three live albums, five of which went platinum in the United States. They brought a new style to mainstream popularity almost singlehandedly, opening doors for grunge and, ultimately, punk bands to acheive mainstream success all over the world. Without Nirvana, there would be no mainstream foothold for "alternative" music today. Cobain may be a "washed up junky who never amounted to sh**," but he quite obviously was onto something with his songwriting and the band's style. Quantity does not indicate a band's "legendary" status; quality and influence does. The band put out three studio albums of unfathomably influential work, and that is why you are wrong.

Also, the way you equate a man's suicide with his band being crappy is petty and doesn't do much to give your opinion credibility...

15. AWsurf

AWsurf Member

Jun 12, 2009
    everything changes by soja

16. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    You just agreed with my point. 3 alsumbs that were O.K. Thats all they were. Everyone in seattle was doing grunge. Ever hear of a band called pearl jam? People look back on Cobain as a legend, and I think he is not. YOu can have your opinion. But you obviously haven't read all the letters and nonsense that Cobain wrote before he died. Because it was all about the fear of the future and that he could not keep up with his own success. He wrote a freaking letter all about it and then took his life.

Yeah, you may not have to be alive for more than 3 albums to be a legend, ill give you that. But as a guy who was 14 when Cobain killed himself, his impression really wasnt felt that much back then. 16 years later people refer to him as a god. I just dont think thats the case. He was one of MANY bands that were inventing grunge. I just dont think Cobain opened any doors... If anything, Cobain killed Grunge. Grunge died with him. Everyone else streered their styles into different directions. Punk. Rock. Grunge was shortlived, and not very interesting.

You can have your opinions, but you have not convinced me of anything so far. But we can agree to disagree.

Oh, and I didn't mean that their band was crappy. I was elluding to the fact that he felt that he would never be able to live up to what he had already done. He felt that continuing to produce music would take the content downhill. He felt he had already peaked. He wrote that himself.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  17. tibu35

tibu35 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Metallica is definatly a legandary band...those dudes have to been rocking for 30 years or so and perfected a genre of music called heavy metal.... IMO when it is all said and done metallica will be up there with the beatles, rolling stones led zep, ac/dc....

18. ziptiespec

ziptiespec Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Last 7 days: Bloc Party – Your Visits Are Getting Shorter
    Last 3 mo.: Bat for Lashes – Sleep Alone
    Last 6 mo.: The Black Keys – You're The One
    Last 12 mo.: Bloc Party – Signs
    Overall: French Kicks – Said So What

All of this is according to my last.fm profile.

19. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Cobain Said in a Interview in Spin that he dont consider his music to be grunge . He said that he was more in the Punk lable if he had to be labled.

Now on the Pearl Jam They are and still to this day one of the most best bands that came out of the Grunge era. Some would say they started the grunge movement when they were Mother Love Bone prior to being called the Mookie Blaylock they changed it to pearl jam somwhere around 90-92.

Bands like the Screaming trees, Mud honey, Sonic Youth , and Meat Puppets made "grunge " along with Pearl Jam. Nirvana took to the masses via MTV . I am not in any means taking anything away from Cobain and Nirvana but to say that they made grunge or Cobain was the godfather of grunge is just not true

20. austinj215

austinj215 Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Wow:( Didn't they have 4 albums though? Bleach, Nevermind, In Utero, and Incesticide.