Fun swell in VB today

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by bushwood, Jan 18, 2011.

1. VBGrom

VBGrom Member

Aug 12, 2010
    I was wearing a 5/4/3 and the whole works. Coulda stayed out there for hours.

2. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    4/3 boots, gloves, hood. Boots were the limiting factor for me, my feet went numb after about 2 hours. Guess ill step up to some 7mils

3. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    I surfed around 1st St, and it actually wasn't that bad, probably a 6-7 rating for me with a 4/3, poly vest w/ hood, 3mm gloves and 5mm boots. I too haven't really had a meaningful session since November and it showed, I felt like a fata$$ out there, couple that with the fact that I was trying to break in a new suit so there was some stiffness.

It was a fun sesh, thigh high but it turned out to be a beautiful day.

4. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Nice pics. Makes me wonder why there are no humans photoed in the water. ??? I figured it would be pretty crowded. Empty barrels. Empty lineup.

5. leethestud

Aug 12, 2010
    haha no crowds this time of year! The current pretty well spread out the few who did brave the cold. I think I drifted about 12 blocks / hour

6. ECboarder

ECboarder Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    igot some pics coming. ill post them when i get them up

7. ECboarder

ECboarder Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    i was out there too. i was out from about 245 or 3 to 530. it was fun as ****! i was the sponger on the white board

8. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    That is awesome! I guess cold water pays off after all!

9. wet suit = no tourists

wet suit = no tourists Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Nice pics!
    Did you surf the new board? Just wondering cause the same dude had another one posted for cheap the next day. Looked like the only difference was it had some goofy looking pin stripes on it. The plain no logo one you got looked sweet.

10. leethestud

Aug 12, 2010
    yeah man I surfed it and it was gravy! Zero complaints. I definitely got it critical on a few waves and it did what I wanted. Its crazy lite for a glassed poly board, must be XTR resin or something. No logos or signature was unsettling at first, but hey, it works!

Highly recommend picking that other one up if its your dims.

11. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Work, 1.5 hrs to get to the ocean and short days = sadness...:(
    ...that's awesome you made it out today, I am so envious...I've had some incredibly fun winter days at places by myself...I love winter when there's swell, but my house and work is an hour and a half drive from the ocean...which blows...but I make the best of it and surf every chance I get...got to get in the water, I'm goin' nuckin' futs! I surfed the beginning of December, and then we hit flat line...but damn right, I'm glad somebody got some!:D

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  12. lookin4swells420

lookin4swells420 Member

Jan 17, 2011
    so what size would yall say it was tuesday?

13. VBVA

VBVA Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Same my fingers and my big toe where starting to feel pain within the 1 1/2 hour mark. I would step it up to 7mm, but im already having trouble moving with everything 5mm, and Im from the tropics so cold water kills me. I guess Ill just have to wait till the water get to at leas 55 so I can shed some gear. :(

14. AWsurf

AWsurf Member

Jun 12, 2009
    I had school. so i wasnt out till 3, but stayed till sundown. But yeah it was real fun. heard it was a little better around 1.

15. wet suit = no tourists

wet suit = no tourists Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Some times a logo means nothing, I bought a board this summer (found it in a no name shop) just saw it in a corner, picked it up and it just felt like it was going to be a good board. I haven't used any of my other boards since July. Got lucky I guess.

16. leethestud

Aug 12, 2010
    head high + on the sets. chest high on average (as predicted by swellinfo) :D

17. lookin4swells420

lookin4swells420 Member

Jan 17, 2011
    thats what i was thinking.. i had this guy on my way back out go this sucks geting pounded by waist high waves.. i was thinkin waist high!?! i know it was going off from 1 to 3 at croatan! start at pendleton get ripped to the rocks and take a hike back to pendleton an do it all over again! we walked the beach 3 times in 2 hours but damn it was worth it!

18. Dano123

Dano123 Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Nice Shots. It was a fun afternoon indeed.:D

19. scypher

scypher Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Sick shots Lee! Jealous I had to sell all my gear. I can't wait to be back in the water

20. bushwood

bushwood Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    You guys liking 62nd?

All fall long and ealry winter I tried surfing either side of (mainly north side) of the 62nd street pile of steel and have never like it at all. I think 68th street works better in almost every swell. There is too much sand or something at 62nd. What direction swell is working at 62nd?? South Ground swells didnt work and north swells didnt hold well either at 62nd. Just wodering if you guys are getting 62nd street real good on some swells. It seems like the boggie kids love it there.