Anyone else catch this?

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by offshore, Mar 3, 2011.

1. petesmith

petesmith Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Yeah and thats mike douglas in the video, hes been skiing super gnarlies for twenty years - gotta be forrty something. hes got a bigger pair of balls than all of us.

2. DaMook

DaMook Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    lol...wow!!!

3. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Mook, try one of these in 10 foot surf! HA HA HA

Attached Files:

4. offshore

offshore Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2010
    I think they only come up to around your ankle, certainly smaller than the monsters on their feet in the video.

5. JAMMAN

JAMMAN Active Member

Oct 30, 2007
  6. DaMook

DaMook Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009

now you're talkin!!!! I would go over the falls at jaws in one of those!!!

7. surfskibum

surfskibum Active Member

Oct 22, 2008
    I think it's pretty sick but then again I am a skier. I always thought it was possible and wanted to be the first to try it but I don't have a ski and I don't live in Hawaii. :(

They are using snow skiing boots and bindings because they offer the best movement translation from the foot to the ski. Water ski boots are **** and you would most likely fly out of them if you wrecked. They also have a lot of play in them with your foot moving around more than you would with a ski boot. It has to suck taking a set or two on the head though with no way to duck dive or ditch the skis. Even swimming with water logged ski boots has to be pretty difficult.

8. surfrr

surfrr Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Seems pretty kooky to me, but ballsy nonetheless. However, I wouldn't worry about this coming to a break near you anytime soon. For some reason I just can't picture these guys towing into beach break....and if they did they would be true kooks. :)

9. bauer

bauer Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2010
    The whole snowbaording is cool skiing isn't mantality is long gone bro... Been to any mountains latley. The groms are on ski's and killing it... Out west you may have 10-20% boarders on the mountain even here in New England the % of boarders is dropping like crazy. I have never been a ski vs board type of guy I used to do both but with new ski tech I enjoy skiing more so I have switched to 100%ski's most of my friends board we travel I am usually the only skier and its all good even when I want to do the ungroomed steeps that most boarders cant handle or the mogul runs that most boarders wont touch. SO really skiers are more vers and have you seen the freeride guys just killing the parks again at least 50 50 if not more skiers in the parks. These are my observations over the past few years.. Its very ignorant when a boarder thinks he is cooler cause he's strapped in when actually he probably isnt even close to the ability of the avg skier...
    New gen of boarders board cause they cant ski.. hahah hows that....

10. WaterSandwich

WaterSandwich Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Wow. Why do people hate on other sports so bad? Different people have different passions. Just because you don't do it doesn't make it "gay". I think it's awesome that they are out there doing something new and having fun. Stop hatinnnn.
    (Ps. Im pretty sure you would think figure skating was cool if your hot girl friend was a figure skater and could contort into all positions imaginable. phaha).

11. Kevin21012

Kevin21012 Member

Dec 28, 2009
  12. VBVA

VBVA Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9q30Ce2vwE

13. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    trying some new and different is always cool in my book... I'm sure these guys rip on a surfboard, or they wouldnt be out in big surf to begin with.

14. RobG

RobG Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2010
    you need to ride with some better snowboarders if they wont hit up the ungroomed runs or moguls with you. maybe its just because i grew up riding with a few skiers, but ill gladly hit up a steep bumped up trail any day of the week.

and theres no way you can say that skis are more versatile. theres nothing you can do on skis that you cant do on a snowboard and vice versa. theyre just different, but neither one is better than the other so no reason to hate...

15. cresto4

cresto4 Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    um. can you strap skins on a snowboard and skin up a mountain? ;)

16. bauer

bauer Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Iron Cross??
    Tele??
    I have yet to see a boarder on man made bumbs.(zipperline contest course)

Thought I made it clear I wasnt hating.. Dont know how you read that into it.. Maybe you board on moguls but most snowboarders will admit they dont like it too much even if they can do it sure isnt the same as skiing them. They dont have a mogul contest for boarders but they do have half pipe freeride slalom and cross for ski's and boards. umm yea you can do more on ski's..

17. wavejunkie

wavejunkie Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2008
    couldn't have said it better myself!

...and wave skiing looks fuuuuun!

18. surfskibum

surfskibum Active Member

Oct 22, 2008