canyon surfboards

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by DaMook, Mar 3, 2011.

1. DaMook

DaMook Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    is there a company still shaping these boards? or are they pop outs from china?

2. Surfskater

Surfskater Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    The new ones are shaped by R2D2. The originals are sik Rusty shaped them for a while. WINNING

3. DaMook

DaMook Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    lol, i was almost going to google R2D2. Ya i head they are shaped over seas. Are they using the original templates?

4. Recycled Surfer

Recycled Surfer Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    I know Canyon longboards come straight from our little communist friends over seas like half the stuff we sell in this country. Its tough to compete with somebody who makes pennys on the dollar and dosent understand the first thing about surfing but can field strip an AK-47 blindfolded in seconds. I can't say how good they are but when it comes to Surf Boards - BUY AMERICAN. PLEASE.

5. billabongmoney

billabongmoney Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2008
    canyons boards are so bulky and have huge chunky rails , they have a bunch of um at rk's for a really good price like 300 bucks brand new and the glassing seems to be decent with a gloss coat but overall they seem like boards geared towards beginners.

6. Gulfcoast7

Gulfcoast7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Bad Boards

I used to have a 9'0 Canyon. It was the worst board ever. They are indeed shaped overseas. Mine broke in moderate surf down in Chincoteague, Va. I guess if used on smaller surf it would be okay, although pretty clunky.

Go with an Austin surfboard

7. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    yeah they are for the most part pop outs. If you really want one that bad go to Kona Sporting goods in Wildwood they are the Pop out kings of South Jersey

8. epidemicepic

epidemicepic Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2008
    have done a few repairs on them, the glass job is horrible. Way too thick in some spots, and sanded almost all the way through the glass in others

9. Recycled Surfer

Jan 1, 2010
    Ha Ha - 2 Egg Rolls and Duck Sauce with every purchase - Long live the king....

10. DaMook

DaMook Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    funny, kona sports came up on one of my searches. they're retailed at 375ish. Those cheap prices tell a whole lot. I wonder if Rusty is making money on it?

11. surfingboy65

surfingboy65 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    got a 5 10 twin fish was alright bought it cause it was cheap and really wanted a retro at the time. was super bulky but not that bad.... was forced to use it during one of the big swells cause ending up breaking two boards and that was the last one left and of coarse first wave the fin box completely pops out didnt bother fixing just sitting collecting dust never again get one

12. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    not likely. i'm pretty sure whomever is making them now bought the rights to the name outright & owes nothing in royalties to rusty or the other guys who used to shape under that label.

13. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Yeah the sell them so cheap cause they move them fast . Soon as u go over the brigde into Wildwood thats the first place you see. Most shoobies dont wanna shop around they just wanna get a board and get there tennis racket re strung while they wait.

If you go the the water park on the boardwalk you will see hundreds of canyon's hung up as Decore LOL. They didnt they didnt even care how they hung them . Drilled screws right threw the foam LOL

14. SJerzSrfr

SJerzSrfr Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    I had one about 7 years ago for a year or two. It was a good deal and i was looking for a wide fat fish for the summer. It was a super fun board for knee to waist high surf and had no complaints with it, especially the price.

15. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008

Dammit!! We already have the Douchebag Kings (Wild Ocean) now we have the Pop Out Kings. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

16. frylock89

frylock89 Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    i bought one for 125$ about 4yrs ago for my brother to start on, its a weird hybrid shape, 7ft 2 but somehow i wouldnt let him use it, i loved it and still ride it today...call me what you want, as stupid as a shape it is fun...and to me thats all that matters.....

oh yea i forgot my profile pic is that board...lol

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  17. Recycled Surfer

Jan 1, 2010
    You definitely got that right.

18. Exit98

Exit98 Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2008
    This has come up on this board before... Rumor was this guy on Long Beach, NY bought the rights to all those old school labels, Canyon, Surfboards Australia, Spoiler, basically all the really cheap labels you now see the beginners on. Heard he was a real d-bag too.
    My friend bought one, and as much as I protested, he couldnt resist the price. Got 2 dings through the glass the first time out. Said he'll listen to me next time...

19. Exit98

Exit98 Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2008
  20. DaMook

DaMook Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    good read up on the history of these boards. gotta love 7 year old threads!!

However, If you think about it, its a good business plan no matter how much you hate it. Summer people who don't want to plop down 700 on a new board see these as attractive. They give surfing a go for a season or two and usually decide to give it up. If they stay with the sport, they sell it and get a real board. If they don't get a real board they should be sent to china to get kicked by a mule.

that being said, shame on canyon, challenger, ect for selling the rights tho their names. They really give those proud old names a black eye, but it probably improves the value of the originals too.