Myrtle Beach in early March

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by JS703, Feb 23, 2011.

1. JS703

JS703 Member

Oct 16, 2010
    So I haven't been out since December because I've been away at school, but for spring break I'm getting a pretty sweet opportunity to stay at Myrtle for free for the week. It's like the first week or two in March. I was wondering what you guys were wearing down there in terms of wetsuits, not that I have a humongous amount of stuff to choose from, but I guess to make sure it's even worth me bringing my boards and suit down! What's the surfing like around Myrtle? I can honestly say I've never been there before! I'm guessing this is gonna be pre-season so there shouldn't be an issue with restricted areas to surf right? Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated.
    Hopefully if I bring my stuff there will actually be some waves too... it looks like I'm really not missing much this winter living inland haha. Thanks in advance.

2. pawley

pawley Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2008
    the best sure fire way to ensure that the waves are good that week is to leave all your gear at home. its typically small and mushy here, but you never know. best chances are a mid-high rising tide early morning session before the winds come up after a day or 2 of onshore winds. if the winds are steady outta the west (offshore) then its gonna be flat.

and if your coming to myrtle beach for spring break DEFINATLY bring the rubbers. and your wetsuit.

3. batoperrast

batoperrast Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Hmm, I go down to Myrtle Beach most summers. Can you guys recommend any good stores I should look for?

4. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    wings
    dolphins
    oceans
    waves
    pacific

good stores are all over the place down there

5. whitewater

whitewater Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    granted I don't get down to myrtle too much but I'll catch a show every once in a while. I NEVER go down there solely to surf, but I bring a board "just in case", and somehow I have ended up surfing 5 of the 7 times i've been down there over the span of 8 years. I know that huge span but that's pretty damn consistent. Dumb luck really.

Expect traffic, borderline legal girls (says she's 19 but is really 15), ALE, DEA, douche bags, and parking tickets.

6. HippieSurf

HippieSurf New Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Xtreme Surf and Skateboard Co. in Market Common is awesome. Good locals place.

7. HippieSurf

HippieSurf New Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Hood gloves boots. ITs cold.

8. surfsidesurfs.com

surfsidesurfs.com Well-Known Member

May 21, 2006
    follow us @surfsidesurfs

i take this perfect opportunity to rave about march and april. after the winter here the changes around spring are so welcome. we have already shed gloves and i've even seen a couple spring breakers baggy and spring suits. this time of year you are looking for the south swells. we are so blocked off from any kind of north-easter action. i generally watch the winds and when it blows from the south-east for a couple days you can catch some fun waves here. it's usually much better an hour up the road, but hey who turns down clean waves in your back yard? not this guy!

see you in the water....

9. ukelelesurf

ukelelesurf Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Dude you need a 3/2 thats it....The boots gloves and hood got shelfed three weeks ago