3/2 Can I wear it I live on Longisland

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by ImpactSurf, Jun 5, 2008.

1. ImpactSurf

ImpactSurf Active Member

May 5, 2008
    I have a 3/2 quicksilver wetsuit with a back zip. Would I be fine in the water. I live on Long Island.

2. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    you should be good with a 3/2 now that the air temps are up. Water temps according to buoys are in the upper 50's. Any locals want to chime in on what they are wearing?

3. Lostonli

Lostonli Member

May 27, 2008
    3/2

definitely 3/2 weather. with the air temps in the mid to upper 70's and water temps almost touching 60 in western LI. Booties still though, i went in the other day w/o them and it hurt like a son of a b****h.

4. tbing

tbing Well-Known Member

May 27, 2008
    I wear a 3/2 no boots/gloves. I live in NJ. With a S swell, just make sure you wear boots or boots/gloves

5. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    actually S currents wont cause upwelling in NY - only for east facing coasts.

West currents will cause upwelling in NY.

6. tbing

tbing Well-Known Member

May 27, 2008
    Psh... someone studies...

7. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    that i do. the process is called the eckman transport. Due to the earth's rotation, the average water movement is 90 degrees to the right of the wind direction. So if the wind is S, the water moves from west to east causing optimal upwelling. For NY, the W wind will cause the current to move from north to south.

Here's the first google result for eckman transport:
    http://sparce.evac.ou.edu/q_and_a/ocean_circulations.htm

8. Lostonli

Lostonli Member

May 27, 2008
    wow you would never think surf conditions would be this complex. and i thought high school was hard psst.

9. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    the spatial and temporal variability of surf conditions is very complex -> thus the challenge of forecasting.

10. spackledust

spackledust Member

Jun 6, 2008
    I bodyboard (I live in Central Long Island) and I have been wearing a 3/2 backzip with no boots or gloves for about a month now. I've been in on cool rainy days and besides being slightly chilly at first, I am more than comfortable for several hours of water time. I usually hit the beach after work, so I'm in around 5:00PM or so when it's not that warm. With the weather heating up though it won't be long till it's time for trunks.

11. waterman

waterman Member

Jun 5, 2008
    is that low east of the Bahamas an upper level feature. It looks nice on water vapor imagry

12. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  13. BigVic

BigVic Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Eckman Transport........... also related to the Corolis Effect. Wind changes and direction are also affected by this (of course).

- Vic

14. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    Ya, the coriolis force is the force caused by the earth's rotation.

15. Spongah

Spongah Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Gahhh..

All of this talk of rotational science is giving me a migraine. ; )

But back to the OP's question, today was the first day I went in with barefeet and fins. My feet were chilly at first, but then they were fine. My hands got a bit cold after awhile.

Maybe another week or so of these nice air temps and I can go down to a spring suit or a jacket and shorts. Whee! :D