Naval jetties opinion

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by fallingsky, Jul 3, 2011.

1. fallingsky

fallingsky Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Since they replaced the jetties do you think the break has gotten worse. Seemed that before the repair multiple sand bars would form along there creating more breaking spots. Now it only seems to break at the jetty it's self. Any other thoughts.

2. billyharry

billyharry Active Member

Mar 24, 2011
    nowhere to park, crowds bigger than IR, one sucky right at the jetty, I think its the best everybody else should go there ill give you directions if you need

3. whitetrashmatt

whitetrashmatt New Member

Jun 29, 2011
    I say we put all the tree stumps back out there and see how many tards it weeds out, not to mention the 20 some odd boogie boarding groms that sit right in front of the take off zone....

4. SkegLegs

SkegLegs Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    You can't be serious with this statement.

5. ripturbo

ripturbo Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2011
    new jetties, stump removal and sand buildup in between jetties have rendered a mushy overcrowded over rated wuss wave useless. except in winter during the week with waist hi or better surf. wouldnt be half bad if people knew what etiquitte and rotation meant. most people that surf there would be lost in surf over waist hi.or a left.or waves with power.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  6. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    that place is crowded with 5 guys!...it may be convenient, but in reality...your not going to find a lot of spots in DE with a 2-3 ft wave @5-6 second period that is breaking anywhere other than on the beach, sandbars have been misshaped since Ida, and no matter how much repleneshment has been done, it only adds to the problem. With an above average hurricane season expected(and with water temps this warm this early, we gotta be gettin' hit hard this year),hopefully it will shape some bars. I am from DE and it would be real easy to go surf near and around my general location, but I've been forced to find better spots, which require a longer drive, but so be it...I'm riding waves.

7. SURF4LIFE

SURF4LIFE Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Way over crowded now, and more than half of them dont know how to surf the spot when its working, sand bars are forming in a few other spots, which I will not disclose and they did not remove any stumps the sand has covered them up due to the new jetties, which I personally think they should have left alone because atleast back then both jetties and other spots would work.

8. ripturbo

Apr 17, 2011
    i guess im pickn at nits but they removed stumps. otherwise i agree

9. fallingsky

Jul 24, 2008
    I go there may be 3 times a year for the past few years just to see how it is. I have been going south for better waves and less crowds myself. It is what it is was just seeing if other folks felt the same way.

10. fallingsky

Jul 24, 2008
    Not sure what u mean

11. yetiatthejetty

yetiatthejetty Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2010
    It's my local break - in the late fall through the early spring it's a great spot. I love it in the summer too, but the kiddie and kook factor sky rocket. If it's smaller than waist high, I'm going there, If it gets bigger than waist - I head south. I can't deal with the crowd. I miss Gordon's Pond.

12. capetownsurfer

capetownsurfer Member

Sep 6, 2007
    i love riding the little kiddies over with my 9 foot long... just makes my day :cool:

13. ripturbo

Apr 17, 2011
    if you mean that you are a douche

14. eastbreak

eastbreak Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Delaware Surf Breaks

I hear you all; the crowds are worse and will just get even worse with the addition of a new local surf shop.

Also the skimboarding is getting out of hand. I don't mind skimboarding, but I do mind when they cross the front of my surfboard. There were several instances were kids where getting hit by skimboards and close calls with surfers. The guys that are being too aggressive are ruining it for the rest. Several times we (surfers) had to confront these cocky a-holes. If they keep it up they may get punched out or end up with a broken board. I don't condone ever hitting anyone, but they are pushing it bit much. There are many places to skimboard and not many places to surf in Delaware. It's bad enough that there are so many people occupying the water by the Naval Jetty. I know that its summertime and I usually avoid the crowded times, but I do like to enjoy the beach with my children and hope to teach them how to surf. So, if my kid gets tagged by an aggressive skimboarder you will need to purchase a new one, because I will own yours. Your parents can ask for it back.

In all, just practice good etiquette while surfing, bodyboarding, and skimboarding so we can all enjoy the ocean.

Keep the Peace :cool:

15. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Oh? A lot of us were surfing there while the park was removing the stumps. There were waves the week they came in and did it (long time ago). I personally dont think dozing out the stumps had as big of a negative effect as some do, but they definitely did do it, and the stumps were holding some sand in the right spots.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  16. Inletsurf7

Inletsurf7 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2007
    If you build it, they will come

17. KelliSlhater

KelliSlhater Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Here is the problems with Herring Point:

1. It is the easiest wave to surf! paddle out is easy, take off is easy, wipeouts are easy!

2. Summer time it rarely gets above stomach high which gives a lot of the people out there an inflated ego about how good they are as a surfer. Then when decent waves do come that they can't handle they are out in the line up causing problems.

3. THE BIGGEST PROBLEM: Nobody really speaks up when things happen. Instead of chewing a guy out for dropping in on them not once but maybe 4 times, they just mutter to themselves and paddle away in a bad mood. PEOPLE won't learn if you don't say something! The crew that was surfing the Jetty when i was a kid 13 yrs ago you didn't want to mess with or drop in on. They would walk your ass to the beach and make you leave.

The only way that the Jetty will ever change is if people balls up and start regulating there local spot, its not about being a ****, but it is about safety. If any of you have traveled to any know surf breaks around the world things are regulated and you don't just paddle out and take the first wave you see. But that's just my two sense.

18. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Gordon's Pond is still surfable, right? or did i miss something? can you not surf there anymore?

19. Dawn_Patrol

Dawn_Patrol Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Man.....can't the constant talking about specific spots just end?

20. marknel83

marknel83 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Yea i think everyone should regulate there spots. I just got my water proof gun in the mail and im gonna start firing at every kid i see drop in on someone then kick there body back to the beach. Sike im playing but you all are ridiculous. Its the mid atlantic delaware at that and its the summer deal with it.