i am sick of watching airs

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by njsurfer42, Jul 19, 2011.

1. goofy footer

goofy footer Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2010
    I agree with you as well as Beachbreak and Live Aloha describing our style of surfing. Just say'n, observing from the waters edge, this style of 1/2 water 1/2 aerial more of a generational phenomena so open minded for them to express their own style of surfing even if its not ours or those that shaped previous styles from our past. As our Icons shaped ours allow them to shape their own as change can be good and if not they'll cut back their track into the water.

2. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010

3. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    thanks anyway,but i'm not michael ho.he's five years older than me,and i can barely walk,let alone stand up on a surfboard.
    i was thinking of putting him on my list of all-time memorable images,so,Michael Ho at the inside bowl Sunset Beach

4. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I have to admit my self that I am tired of seeing airs. It just seems over played to me like every little grommet wants to do airs or thats all they try to do when I see them in the water. There are some exeptions like when you see someone do a air that you wouldnt expect . For instance in Sight Sound Chris Del Moro kills it on a log and a bunch of shorter shapes.

I think surfing need alot more flow back in it . Everyone just wants to rip the wave to shreds as fast as they can do a air at the end and paddle back out for the next wave.

Far as stickers didnt Mark Foo have Budwiser plastered on the bottom of his whole board in the 80s if I remember correclty?

5. ND081

ND081 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    [​IMG]

i think he has maybe 2 stickers on the top of his board?

6. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Cool Thread. Nice to see everyone\'s opinions on the matter. I guess we can all agree to disagree. I think that every modern (shortboard) surfer, myself included will progress into the aeiral age. It is a huge milestone that most of us have in our surfing \"career\" or lifetime. about 5 years ago, I was air obsessed. Every beach break section in front of me, would get an air attempt on it. Not even looking further down the line. That is NOT good styel. But that was the best way to learn it. Repetition. Once you dial in the few basic airs and landing, you lose interest in \"developing\" more, but I think that they are a much needed aspect of today\'s surfing. \r\n\r\nI think where I am at now, and where a lot of people like to be, is comfortable with all the aspects of their surfing. I love a huge power turn, or a barrel or a tail slide... But each wave is different, and I think that on any given day, you could be presented with the perfect section for an air, or a barrel, but that is the essence of surfing in my opinion. Using the wave to your advantage, and let the Wave dictate what you do. You should be repsonding to the wave. In miliseconds, you have to decide what your next approach, or turn or air is... So I think every surfer just works on their game so that they can do exactly what they SHOULD do on a wave at a certain time.

If a barrel section is coming, you have to have the instinct and practice to tuck in, slam on the breaks and get into position. If a huge open face is ahead of you and you have too much speed, you need to rely on a steep huge bottom turn to go up vertically and hack the top off. And when that close-out section is racing towards you at your local beach breal, and its a bit too steep to lay down a hack, your best choice is usually an air, so that is the time to nice and gradually pull off a simple little frontside air or an air reverse, cause lets be honest, what is more fun? A frontside air into the whitewater, or a lazy ol floater that lands you in the flats anyway... I think the \"flare\" and the \"style\" is all about that. Variations and doing what the wave wants you to....

The modern shortboard thurster wants to go off the lip. They want to fly. They want to spin around. They are designed to do so.... So, while I love the fish styles and the old school single fins... It is what it is. We all watch the ASP and everything else. And we all ride the same style baords, going for the same style things....

Anyway, I love airs. I think that they are over-emphisized in the media, but that is like a dunk in basketball..... Do kids hang a picture of Michael Jordan or Lebron James doing a crazy no look pass that has TONS of style? NO! They have pictures of Jordan and Lebron violently Slam Dunking the basketball....\r\n\r\nAirs in surfing are the \"Dunking\" of basketball... It was all \"Trickory\" and \"cheating\" at one point. Not it is the norm....\r\n\r\nThere is a new era, and I think its easy to feel left out. But its never too late to learn how to huck an air. Dont matter if you aer 45 or 19... You can do it with practice. If you are out of shape, you cannot. And I think a lot of guys as they get older just lose their athletesism a bit, and their fitness, so its easy to sit around saying that you dont like these little wippersnappers and their trickory.... But you can either get on board with everyone else, or get left in the past....

Some people prefer a simpler time. They prefer the past... And they miss it. And I get that..... I totally do.... But youth is progression. \r\n\r\nThere is a big difference between Ozzie Wright hucking an ugly air on every wave he gets, compared to Kelly Slater doing an air on the most important and critical part of the wave, and nailing it... But only when he needs too..... There is a big difference...\r\n\r\nBut I think watchin these youngsters and their rodeos and their 720s and all this crap. Its nuts... Its like seeing into the future. My simple air revese and backside airs are the norm now. 5 years ago, I felt ahead of the curve, now progression is just going faster and faster...\r\n\r\nBut i do love airs =)

7. zach619

Jan 21, 2009
    I agree completely, but I also think that its not such a bad thing... Everything u mention in that sentence sounds SUPER fun! Surfing super fast, ripping the wave apart and ending with an air before paddling back out. That sounds like a pretty fun wave =)!

8. carolinaschoolofsurf

carolinaschoolofsurf Member

Jul 26, 2011
  9. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Dont get me wrong Airs have there place in surfing . What make me sick of seeing them is when I see people out trying airs when they cant even pull off basic manuvers. Maybe I am too old school for my own good it will be my down fall LOL

10. zach619

Jan 21, 2009
    Yeah, I agree. There is nothing more disgusting than a guy flailing his body through the air, while the board is still stuck in the lip, trying to pull off an air. But the one thing I will say, is that practice makes perfect, so we all looked a little funny at one point, but you gotta go through that to dial it in.... One more added bonus about airs: You will never, ever, ever ever ever, accidentally pull off a move like that. I would bet that worldwide, there are NO kooks at all that can pull one off. You can try it 1000 times, but if you dont have your other skillsets in order, you will NEVER pull it off. Never ever ever.... I would say a solid 25 tries at first will produce 1-2 successful landing, but once you understand the feeling of it, its different... But yeah, people who cant surf that are out trying airs is worth a good laugh. They will never, ever ever ever land it..... They will never, ever ever ever even get their board in the air, under their feet with a grab... Its entirely too technical... Way more so than barrel riding. no sh**, about once a week I see a total novice pull into a good wave, get a little shack and come out... I mean, at a good point/reef break, guys are accidentally getting barrel just cause they make the drop and surf very slow.... You will never see a guy pop off the top and land an air.... way too skillful.... So while we are referring to all this as "Trickory etc" i think we need to remember how incredibly, insanely difficult it is to pull off. I was surfing every single day, 365 for a few years before I dialed in airs... And I feel like I had everything else in order. It just takes a ton of time to train your body to torque and spin and balance.... Its an art to me....

11. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    zach,

for me it has nothing to do w/ skill or whatnot. i agree that, when used as a functional maneuver, airs have their place. but a lot of times, a good, solid rail turn is just as, if not more, functional. close out sections, getting over/around a section...both great places to punt. but launching either just b/c you can or every single time you're confronted w/ a section wears on me. & to a point, most airs look exactly the same. i know they're not & some are more technical & difficult than others. but those are minute differences that take place in the space of a fraction of a second. i'd be willing to bet that, w/out a magazine caption telling them what type of air pro surfer x is doing in the shot, most surfers can't tell the difference between lein air and a slob. show any surfer a shot of a guy getting vertical & smashing a lip, & they'll tell you, "oh yea, that's an off the top" or "that's a re-entry". same w/ a solid roundhouse cutback. the style & look of it is distinct. personally, i find them more aestetically pleasing as well. i read somewhere once that modern airs, while cool, kinda make you look like a ninja caught in the act of taking a giant crap.
    & it takes a lot of skill & strength to keep your board on rail thru a high speed direction change & keep it from skipping out from under you. people seem to forget that. prob. b/c most surfers get to the point where they can decently link a turn or 2 together & suddenly gain the mindset that, "oh yea, cutbacks aren't so hard" as they slide around on crumbly little peelers.
    so it's not that i don't think airs have a place. i'm just sick of watching people punt on every single wave. guys who do a lot of airs seem to have forgotten about the rest of what surfing is. if you want to launch airs all day, go skate a bowl or ride a halfpipe. airs are only part of surfing, not the be all & end all.

addendum: it also bears mention that i believe in "whole wave surfing", meaning i don't like to see guys pump down the line, blast one air or nail on turn (which i guess is ok if you're surfing a super short wave), or when guys punt a huge air or throw a huge hack on the first section, & the recovery takes so long that the rest of the wave out runs them. that may be a big part of why i'm so sick or airs right now, b/c it seems like most times the recovery from the air causes the rest of the wave to go unridden. that's not so much the case on rail turns. hence my preference for functional maneuvers. ride the wave as far as you can, i say.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  12. ripturbo

ripturbo Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2011
    well said. barrels are kinda ok too

13. Sniffer

Sniffer Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    barrels are kinda ok too[/QUOTE]

You should lose your surf card for a statement like that

14. ND081

ND081 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    kinda ok? are you kidding me?

15. ripturbo

ripturbo Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2011
    of course silly:) can i keep my surftard? please

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  16. ND081

ND081 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    oh thank goodness

17. nsbsurf

nsbsurf Member

Jul 19, 2011
    You are the douchebag me thinks! cap2nd... ha ha what a ****!

18. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    cape2nd brings up a solid point though.
    LMAO at the crack about urban suv drivers who are "hardcore" when it's waist high in june!!! I like it this way, I feel cooler than them when I see them headed out on friday afternoon with a bunch of soft tops and I know it;s flat. Surfs up bra!!!

19. nsbsurf

nsbsurf Member

Jul 19, 2011
    True, I thought the crack itself was funny too. The part I don't think is funny is that he meant it for everyone posting to this thread, including you and me. I think it sucks when the rest of us are trying to have a discussion giving our opinions and then a douchebag like cap2nd makes an unfair generalization about people he has never met and knows nothing about. I'll agree with NJSurfer42... Cap2nd seems to be the one that is close minded. Oh well, I guess it takes all types.

20. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    I'm sick of talking about being sick of watching airs.