burnt surfboard. HELP!

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by krl0919, Aug 17, 2011.

1. krl0919

krl0919 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2011
    welp i was driving home from my buddys shore house with three of my boards packed nice and tight in my travel bag strapped down in the back of my truck this evening and tragedy struck. My truck has stacks. you know the big ugly ones that 18 wheelers have? (not my idea my dad decided to supprise me with them for my birthday last year. i hate them) well they get smoking hot and my board bag slid up on them. my board bag and all three boards went up in flames driving up the parkway. my short board and my step up are both chocked up to a total loss. my groveler however thanks to it being so short was sheilded from the flames. it only got a little yellowing on the nose and the resin swelled up a little.

Basicly what im looking for is some help on saving my last board. i could more then likely get away with riding it how it is now. i think its water tight however i have only riddn it maybe 10 times and it bugges the he** out of me to see it messed up already. does anyone have any ideas how i should go about fixing this thing? maybe someone out there has had a board melt on them by some small chance. im out two boards and im trying to save my last one. any advice at all is greatly appreciated.

2. wbsurfer

wbsurfer Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2008
    idk what you do for the board your trying to save but... the other two boards save them and you can do a board sacrifice to the surf gods.

3. krl0919

May 3, 2011
    they are already half way there. its not pretty

4. mike hunt

mike hunt Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Damnn dude that sucks post some pics

5. krl0919

May 3, 2011
    ill post one tomorrow. my go to board, (the worst of the two) is already snapped in about 6 pieces across my front yard

6. Salty

Salty Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2008
    your story is pretty hard to believe! This might be a load of horse s*it

7. krl0919

May 3, 2011
  8. ripthegnar

ripthegnar Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2010
    i don't know where you are but try taking it to a local shaper and see what they say about it. A picture would help out a lot.

9. mike hunt

mike hunt Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Why would someone make that up

10. krl0919

May 3, 2011
  11. krl0919

May 3, 2011
    the 1st picture and the 4th picture are of the board im trying to fix. the other board is beyond saving in my opinion and my 3rd board which was even worse is already in a bunch of pieces in the garbage.

12. Ray F.

Ray F. Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2009
    I'd be tempted to glass over the charred area. It would probably delam, but it would be cool if it didn't. Maybe do some real fire art?

13. krl0919

May 3, 2011
    i attempted to save the short board today. all of the foam inside melted out and the nose is just a shell from the fiberglass sheets. boards shot. i just spraypinted over it and im makin it a wall hanger. my groveler is goin to the shop tomorrow

14. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    I would lose the stacks...

but on a serious note, I feel for ya, man...that blows donkey d*ck...

15. ripthegnar

ripthegnar Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2010
    i dont know how long your board is, but you could try to saw off the burnt part and resand the tip. a friend of mine did that because the bottom of his board buckled, but his board was longer.

16. GoodVibes

GoodVibes Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Sounds like a decent idea.I kind of have the same problem with my board.When I broke my ribs a couple weeks ago on my board the nose of my board snapped right off.My friend still has my board so I haven't seen it yet but he told me im missing like 6 inches off my nose.Long story short I feel for you KRL .1 damage board is enough but 2 to 3 really sucks.Goodluck

17. iililjohnii

iililjohnii Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Well thats funny you say that OP, because just the other day i was driving home from my buddys shore house with three of my boards packed nice and tight in my travel bag strapped down in the back of my truck this evening and tragedy struck. My truck has stacks. you know the big ugly ones that 18 wheelers have? (not my idea my dad decided to supprise me with them for my birthday last year. i hate them) well they get smoking hot and my board bag slid up on them. my board bag and all three boards went up in flames driving up the parkway. my short board and my step up are both chocked up to a total loss. my groveler however thanks to it being so short was sheilded from the flames. it only got a little yellowing on the nose and the resin swelled up a little.

Basicly what im looking for is some help on saving my last board. i could more then likely get away with riding it how it is now. i think its water tight however i have only riddn it maybe 10 times and it bugges the he** out of me to see it messed up already. does anyone have any ideas how i should go about fixing this thing? maybe someone out there has had a board melt on them by some small chance. im out two boards and im trying to save my last one. any advice at all is greatly appreciated.