Irene

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by GnarActually, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Hanaebu

Hanaebu Active Member

May 25, 2009
    Hahaha. Ummm . . .NO!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  2. saltyseanut

saltyseanut New Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Any one else getting excited for the impossible paddle out?

3. GoodVibes

GoodVibes Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Lol Some good stuff here.Doesn't Laird where a jacket?

4. Epic

Epic Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    21 ft. by sunday??! lol...... Well I know that there will be alot of sand moving... but not allot of surfing going on.

5. andrewk529

andrewk529 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2010
    He does while tow-surfing 50 ft+ waves.....

6. GoodVibes

GoodVibes Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2008
    In that case Jettyface is good to go.

7. andrewk529

andrewk529 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2010

Someone should call 911 as soon as he hits the water

8. mongoloid

mongoloid Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    the storm is going to be too close...VAS conditions while its here, and it wont be sending us any waves after it passes. it might be rideable for a bit before theres no swell left, and thats hoping it passes during the day

9. LOSTsoul

LOSTsoul Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2009
    If this swell goes down to knee high by Monday morning in Jerz.... I'll eat my shorts!

10. ND081

ND081 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    if they start evacuating do you guys plan on staying and waiting for the wind to change?

11. mongoloid

mongoloid Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    i'm thinking about parking where i can see the water and bringing a camera and just watching. after the storm passes the models have 40kt offshores - not rideable at all. you wont be able to paddle back in

12. ripturbo

ripturbo Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2011
    dude brah shred rip gnarly

13. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010

Don't do it man, not if you like your windshield and paint. A sand-blasted windshield really sucks

14. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    That was a good one.:D

15. CPRICE

CPRICE Member

Aug 22, 2011
    UMMMMM yea, just call the coast guard and let them know where your going to b surfing, with a little information about current strength, direction, and wave height they should b able to figure pretty closely where youll wash up... unfortunately you could strap yourself to a 55gal drum full of helium and a 20 ft wave will still pound you. even with a vest if you go over the falls on a 20 ft wave and land in 3 ft of water thats asking for a broken neck, a lifejacket will just help ur body float and make it a little easier to find. I really am not hating but i worked as beach partol and 5-7 ft waves can get hairy, ive seen great surfers get hurt. you gotta b a strong swimmer and KNOW YOUR WATER. if you think thats what you got and a half mile swim is doable with no surfboard give it a go!

16. cobtaco223

cobtaco223 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Who else here is going out at 6 am on sunday morning to catch the 10-15 foot chops?

17. ND081

ND081 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    i think a dawn patrol on saturday is my best bet looking at the forecast right now, then we'll see what happens

18. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Ugh, I'm more concerned about the flooding that's going to happen here in the VB area. My wife works this weekend downtown and I probably have to take her to work. I'm looking for a good route to avoid the many flood zones there.

I can forget about surfing this weekend, but there may be some surfable post-hurricane waves on Monday. I remember last year during the Labor Day weekend, we had a good window of nice waves after the hurricane (Earl?) passed and dissipated.

19. cobtaco223

cobtaco223 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    It looks like that window will be on sunday. It gets pretty clean at about 7 am on sunday.

20. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    everyone keeps comparing irene to earl, but it seems to be escaping everyone's notice that irene is a LOT closer to the coast than earl was. the winds are going to be far less favorable & a lot more intense & the waves are going to be bigger, but largely unridable. i really don't think we're going to see much, if any, surf from this system. by the time the winds back off & it cleans up, the swell will be gone. it's just too close to the shore.