surfing mags suck these days

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by leethestud, Sep 28, 2011.

1. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    $6 an issue, 45 pages of ads. Now that's some bullsh*t. I dare you to justify it... I dare you....

2. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    agreed... little content and lots of ads.

3. 252surfer

252surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    yup just looked at the one with one of the gudaskas brothers on it and there was like 3 stories and a schload of ads. I mean i don't care if they have pictures of hot babes in there but the wetsuit stuff and the clothing....i can go to a store or online for that.... Surfer mag tends to have better quality articles than surfing mag. send letters or emails to the editor about how the content needs to be the focal point in them.

4. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    It is interesting, because the same parent company owns both Surfer and Surfing.

5. JAMMAN

JAMMAN Active Member

Oct 30, 2007
    hmmmm......

I agree with the content/ad ratio. But to be honest, if you are buying surf mags at the news stand you are an idiot. It's about 12 bucks for 24 issues if you just subscribe.

Ah. . . who am I kidding, i just let all my mag subscriptions lapse. Your right, they suck.

6. epidemicepic

epidemicepic Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2008
    No need to buy mags when all the surf news is on surfline a day after it happens.

7. rvb

rvb Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    magazines are junk, same stuff evey month. good article once in a blue moon. but 3 words come to mind. The Surfers Journal. if you havent picked one up, you shuld. yes they are pricey but well worth it.

8. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    they should at least put some naked chicks in them...

9. Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2010
    A subscription is a few bucks I dont know why you'd buy them individually..

10. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    sometimes you gotta grab one on the go.

And for the surfline argument.... that very philosophy is probably why the quality of magazines has become what it is.

surfer = surfing = transworld surf, for what it's worth.

Surfer's Journal is sick but it is hard to get behind them as expensive as they are. I don't often drop $12 on a magazine but when I do, It's a surfers Journal. Maybe ill look into a subscription.

ESM is ok because it's local but still over priced and full of ads. I do love 2M's work, but .. (insert foot in mouth) I can see them all on facebook.

11. mOtion732

mOtion732 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    i hear the surfer's journal is a great magazine geared toward the non-grom. i haven't read it yet.

http://www.surfersjournal.com/

then you can always get your current events, like world tour updates, from surfline or the like.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  12. pvjumper05

pvjumper05 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2008

some of the posters that are inside them are actually pretty sick. i have a few hanging on my wall

13. CBLACK

CBLACK Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Surfer's Journal all the way. It is super expensive but you don't feel like you've wasted your money at the end. It's more like a book.
    My only advice is don't bother if you aren't into the history or "underground" of surf culture. If you're into labels and how the pros are dressed it's not for you.

14. Westy

Westy Active Member

Aug 4, 2008
    You're paying for ESM? Agree on the ads, but I always thought the price was right!

15. PBC

PBC Member

Sep 16, 2011
    I used to own a small music magazine when I was in school, so I love looking at the surfing magazines now that I'm into it.

Advertising is a double edged sword. First, because print is so expensive to produce and ship nowadays, costs for printing magazines is way up. You keep your cost to consumer low by filling the magazine with lots of ads. Hence, the $12/year subscription. The ads are actually paying for the content. Your subscription fee might cover the postal fees, but not much of that money goes towards production of the magazine, paying staff, freelancers, printing costs, editors, etc.

On the other hand, you have a publication like Surfer's Journal. It is pricey, but you get what you pay for...a magazine that has high-quality editorial and photos. It is more like a book.

The dark side of magazine publishing is that in high volume, advertising driven publications, there is little editorial independence. Literally, advertising sometimes directly pays for good reviews. The media hype machine is very real, and it is driven by dollars. Glossy surf mags are no different.

I love magazines and I think even the most ad-heavy, glossy magazines still have redeeming features.

16. ragdolling

ragdolling Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    My Surfer's Journal subscription is worth every damn penny - and with the subscription you get access to more online content. I save em all and sock em away. A few years later they're fresh again. I literally run to the mailbox like a little kid when I know it's coming.

17. ClamChowder!

ClamChowder! Active Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Surfer's journal is definitely worth every penny! Plus...they are great collectibles and hardly any ads.

13 bucks a mag started to wear on me though. So I always just ask for a subscription for Christmas.

Around 60 bucks for a years Sub. so a fairly cheap gift and its one that keeps on giving all year long!

18. soulrebel

soulrebel Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Right on rvb. Just got my new issue today. It blows all the other propaganda mags away. It focuses more on the art of surfing rather than the competitive view displayed in the others. Definately more of a purist view just wish they had more east coast layouts.

19. marknel83

marknel83 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Surfers Journal is what a surf mag should be.

20. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    exactly!

but only assuming you have an age-appropriate reading level. if you're below about an 8th grade reading level, you'll want to stick w/ one of the big 3: -er, -ing, & transworld.