Surfing with music?

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by bodyboardNJ, Oct 15, 2011.

1. bodyboardNJ

bodyboardNJ Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    I know they make waterproof ipod cases and water proof headphones, but how easy are these to use while sufing and how durable are they? Does anyone have any positive or negative experience with listening to music while surfing, i am considering trying it out.

2. wang

wang Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2007
    I am curious as well. I have read that it is a bit muffled with water interference. But, it may be worth it. I have music I listen to for every mood and every activity. This is one that I would love to make playlists to also.

3. GnarActually

GnarActually Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2007
    it would be annoying to have that on, but i think i'd surf 266.66% better and harder with my music somehow playing.

4. dmonster

dmonster Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2011
    The only experience i've had with them, was other people not being able to hear me while im yelling to them down the line not to drop in. Pretty frustrating. Maybe it would be cooler is people only wore one earbud? It takes away a lot of the alertness you need while surfing, but whatever floats your boat.

5. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    i've never had any experience w/ this, positive or negative, but it seems like a pretty stupid idea to me. just another way to tune out the world around you.

6. Sniffer

Sniffer Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    What the he'll is better than the sound of the ocean!

7. wang

wang Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2007
    That's one of my favorite things about surfing.... I tune out the world ;)

8. jchafard

jchafard Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Give it time and there'll be a hood with an implemented earphone jack... -_-
    I never listen to music during any exercise, running, hiking, OR surfing, it ruins the true connection to the sport in my opinion.

9. wang

wang Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2007
    I know what you're saying. But, for me, it just ends up becoming background music when I get into the zone (especially when running, snowboarding, or exercising).

10. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009
    "tuning out the world" means different things to differnt people, i suppose. to me, it means being so self-absorbed that you ignore the beauty of the world around you...the sound & feel of the wind, the dolphins cruising by just outside the line up, the osprey hunting over head, even ignoring the presence of the other surfers in the water (the ultimate gesture of rudeness IMO...basically saying, you're of so little importance to me that i refuse to even acknowledge you're existence.) to me, these are all part of what going surfing, or just being in or on the water, is about. getting away from civilization & experiencing all nature has to offer.
    surfing isn't exercise...it might be a hell of a workout, but it's not "exercise" in the typical sense. thus, no music for me. if i'm cranking out 5000 meters on the erg at the gym, fine. if i'm outdoors, give me the sound of what's going on around me.

11. ND081

ND081 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    seems like a stupid idea to me. kind of like riding your bike on the road while listening to music. also, i would probably hate it considering i like to get away from all that stuff when i surf

12. bbking

bbking Active Member

Aug 27, 2011
    you sound like a d o u c h e

13. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009
    thanks. people not liking me is the highest compliment in my eyes. it means i'm not a sheep.

14. bbking

bbking Active Member

Aug 27, 2011
    in that case, you sound more like a

wannabe hippie treehugging girl/rob machado broseph

who on the inside is a stuck up, self concious ***, who revolves his life around surfing but is afraid of any wave over shoulder high

i rarely post but i really dont like you, haha

15. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009
    damn...you nailed me. glad that i annoy you so much that you go out of your way to post on an anonymous message board about someone you don't know. you sure showed me...

16. epidemicepic

epidemicepic Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2008
    I'm actually really torn on the music idea... so anybody with experience with this id be really interested too.

It's def worth a try for a solo session id say. Nobody's tried it ?

17. ND081

ND081 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    you sound like a t r o l l

18. Wallofwhitewater

Wallofwhitewater Member

Sep 26, 2011

now what's better than silence and the sound of a wall of whitewater headed towards you??

19. surfrr

surfrr Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Make your own music. Rat-a-tat-tat on the deck of your board and sing to the ocean.

20. bodyboardNJ

bodyboardNJ Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Don't get me wrong, i enjoy the sound of the ocean also; I just know when im out in the lineup i ALWAYS have a song stuck in my head that im singing to myself and i think i could definately get more pumped if i was actually listening to that song. Maybe one day they will have speakers set up in the actual surfboards hahah.