surfing etiquette

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by Feesh, Dec 5, 2011.

1. cresto4

cresto4 Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    classic...:rolleyes:

2. motivated2surf

motivated2surf Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Yes, exactly or you can get a short board that is wider/thicker to keep up with the young guns and make yourself feel like you can paddle, lol. As the other poster said, I don't think I have a right to surf certain breaks since I just started again 2 winters ago. I understand who the locals are and I respect them. Then, you get respect in return. There is a lineup but many lineups have a heirarchy. That's just how it goes at the good breaks and you can't be pissed if they are taking waves. Find another spot. Some of them even suck but they may have been surfing that spot for decades.

The only thing that annoys me is being at a jetty by myself. Then, a group of guys will get out of a van from inland or pa and paddle out at the spot. They will then attempt to paddle around me or drop in on me when I'm sitting at the peak. I never said anything until recently. I went up to two of the three guys and said to stop dropping in or snaking me. They then started giving me ****. I asked all of them to get out of the water and that I would fight all three. I'm not saying I can beat the crap out of everyone but these three I could wrap up like pretzels and dunk them. It worked. They paddled down to a different spot and I felt great. It didn't ruin my session because they deserved it. Now if these were locals even if I could beat the crap out of them, I wouldn't have behaved in the same way. I may have said something in a different way. That' s just the way it is and now some of the locals are passing waves off to me. Be patient and show respect. The other poster is right. Just because you have the gear and have been surfing a few years doesn't mean you have a spot in the lineup at a popular spot.

3. MDSurfer

MDSurfer Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2006
  4. rDJ

rDJ Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2007

...so wait... are they common sense rules or communist laws?

5. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    the common sense rules are things like not dropping in or not paddling for the shoulder when paddling back out. the communist comes in with the 'wait your turn' crap.

6. rDJ

rDJ Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2007
    So, being considerate of others and sharing waves is in your opinion a communist precept? And by your logic, the SUPer or longboarder who can sit outside and catch every single wave that comes through before the shortboarders is completely justified because taking what you want and being selfish is better than communist sharing... Geeze it must suck to be your neighbor.

7. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I think you can make a distinction between (1) a more skilled and more fit surfer, who's got his local break wired and catches a lot of waves, from (2) a fit and skilled surfer on a longboard paddling around everyone else, over and over again, to sit outside and pick off the best set wave every set because his equipment gives him a distinct advantage.

In most cases, the lineup is a competitive place, with guys jockeying for waves in a relatively even playing field. That's just the way it is. As the peaks come in, a little shift to the north or south gives everybody a shot a being in just the right position at the right time. Even against a jetty or pier, once in a while one will swing wide, or section at the main peak, opening up the shoulder.

What I find unacceptable is a guy who's constantly paddling around, chasing down a peak that's coming right for somebody else. I've even had guys paddle around me TO drop in on me, because the peak looked like a closeout. Sorry pal... that one's mine. Or... a guy who intentionally paddles around me to sit deeper than me because he's on his 9'0 and I'm on my 6'1. Eventually I'm gonna reach my limit and he's gonna be looking at my a$$ for the rest of the day - sorry bud... paddle around me one more time and you won't get another wave to yourself until I leave.

8. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    The communist part is the sense the you are ENTITLED to get waves from someone else. If someone (myself included) wants to give up a wave that's up to them to do, not for you to expect them to do it. there are plenty of ways to deal with the longboard/SUP problem that will allow you to score plenty of waves.

9. rDJ

rDJ Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Well I can't speak for others, but I don't feel I am entitled to anything I don't work for. However, I do expect others to share if we are out there together. That's just common decency. So generally speaking, yes I do expect them to let a wave go through if they took the last one and we are sitting close together. I expect politeness. There's nothing communist about that.

10. travy

travy Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2010
    if you catch a set wave then paddle around a whole crowd and catch another one, you are a wave hog. some days the conditions are challenging and not everyone can stay on the peak so only a select few get the majority of waves, but if it's 3 feet on a sunday afternoon and you constantly paddle around the lineup, you're an azzhole..

11. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    you say that you don't feel entitled but then go on to say that you expect to be given waves. sounds like entitlement to me.next time you are out, try this: when someone gets a wave, immediately position yourself to get the next one in the set, that way you did the work necessary to get your share of waves.

12. mOtion732

mOtion732 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    i don't know if i've ever been in a serious lineup where people expected to be given waves. this sounds ridiculous. on a good day, the current will determine who is sitting where

13. ihatelongboarders

ihatelongboarders Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2007
    i paddle around people/past people all the time and here's why.

1) NO ONE EVER SITS ON THE PEAK. being a shoulder hopper is for limps ****s.

2) i'm sorry but this isn't a democracy. if you can't catch the waves or make the drop take up tennis or something.

3) i lived in my town for 26 years. If i want to paddle around you, tough ****.

14. rDJ

rDJ Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Yes and when I do the work to position myself to take the next wave I would expect that the person who took the last one doesn't paddle right back next to me and paddle for the next one as well.

15. Stayabovetheweather

Stayabovetheweather Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Having grown up surfing LBI, then AC, and then Western LI, I was always under the impression that he who worked the hardest got the wave. Then I moved to Ocean City. Apparently, the older locals don't want to work for their waves. I've gotten dropped in on after I do the work to stay at the peak, then get yelled at by these guys who think they own the place because they have surfed the spot for more years than me. The worst offender is the Chief of the Ocean City Fire Dept, Charlie Bowman. He makes 130k per year in government cheese, and extra 10k for working more than 40 hour weeks, he gets all of his gear free from Heritage, he bloated the payroll of the OCFD to the point where there are 62 full time employees in a town with no fires. Then, he has the nerve to try to intimidate me, my friends, and the other locals whose tax money puts food on his table and a roof over his head. If you see this bully, who makes $62.50 an hour straight out of the People'es pocket, try to intimidate anyone please stand up for yourself. These types tend to be all bark and no bite.

http://oceancity.patch.com/articles...owman-named-acting-fire-chief#comment_1690820

16. rDJ

rDJ Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2007
    My town, my waves, blah blah... That's more of an entitlement attitude than sharing. And who said anything about current? Whatever...

17. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    I think you really ought to explore taking up golf or tennis.

18. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    I think its as simple as this... if you intentionally drop in on someone.... then you're a ****. Do it to a guy like me, who only obeys the dont drop in on someone rule, enough times then I'll snap you and your board in 2 pieces. LOL. No Im not like that. But for reals... the only rule worth considering is just dont drop in on someone who is already up and going. Other then that.... the lineup order is not what it use to be. And frankly, where I surf, its miles of pretty much the same sand bar break with only slight differences between them.

19. travy

travy Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2010
    and you sir are an azzhole. take the extra waves bro, you need them!

20. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    Don't forget the 'don't paddle back out to the shoulder when someone else is on the wave" rule. this is just as bad as dropping in.