what the f@$& just happened????

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by surfinghb123, Feb 18, 2012.

Tags:
  1. surfinghb123

surfinghb123 Member

Jan 22, 2009
    I go to bed last night dreaming of the south windswell heading our way on Sunday, only to wake up this morning and see that it had disappeared from the forecast! Is this some kind of a joke? This flatness is a curse I tell you. I'm about to start sacrificing baby goats.

2. kdiddy8

kdiddy8 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    Nothing's going to happen until March
    at least thats what I think....

3. Gfootr

Gfootr Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Dam Groundhog

4. WBncSurf

WBncSurf Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Dude i feel the exact same way wtf. swell info changes their forecast every 10 minutes. i'm bout to start using sufline

5. East_Coast_Shoots

East_Coast_Shoots Member

Feb 2, 2012
    haha ill help with the sacrificing

6. surfinghb123

surfinghb123 Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Surfline is great but they don't have a very good forecast for southern NC. Swellinfo is usually decent but they do change their forecast a lot, especially for my region.

7. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    computer models folks... the models shift the storm track, and that changes the forecast.

8. Double Over-toe

Double Over-toe Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    i completely understand what you guys mean, but i am to offer a little solution: The Carver Board. Plain and simple, if i wasn't using it, i would have started throwing babies against the wall.

But now as far as forecasting goes, i found swellinfo to be my main source, but i also take surfline's report and find the middle between the 2. Swellinfo may change alot but that's because it runs off of an up-to-date computer program. granted surfline will update once in the morning, and once at night, but i've noticed surfline will leave the same forceasted report up wether or not the surf changes. **** sucks when your expecting 4-5 ft. and clean, then the weather changed by an act of whatever ruins this world, and surfline won't update any information.

So, Superstoked on the Updated info here. Please keep it rolling because i'd rather face to truth about what were gonna get, Rather than to expect a fairytale ending, while getting ****ty day of crappy surf.

9. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    WHAT?!? i thought there was some dude chain smoking cigarettes and pounding coffee, staying up all night to bring me up to the ten-minute surf forecasts for my specific break! what a let down...

10. surfinghb123

surfinghb123 Member

Jan 22, 2009
    couldn't agree more about the carver. i got one about three months ago and it's what keeps me going. the closest thing to surfing you can find without getting your feet wet. if you live on the east coast you need a carver.

11. surfinghb123

surfinghb123 Member

Jan 22, 2009
    and just to clarify, i'm not complaining about the forecasting on swellinfo. you guys do a great job. i'm just frustrated that mother nature keeps punking me

12. mbs05c

mbs05c Active Member

May 15, 2011
    Hahahahahaha!! Man that was the same picture I had in my head!

13. ZBass

ZBass Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Yeah... I had new wheels put on my Sector 9 circa 1996 and have been loving it. Kind of like surfing.

14. havanasand

havanasand Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Surfline is off some of the time, as well. And I pay premium for that. This site is free and they do what they can to calculate east coast surf conditions which are about as erratic as a crack-head looking for his next fix.

15. Brett

Brett Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    At least its not magic seaweed. Nontheless, its ALMOST as bad...Every week they forecast a bomb swell for the end of the week and everyday it gets closer the report gets worse until it says flat and choppy. Swellinfo does almost the same thing just not as exaggerated.

16. Brett

Brett Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    I rephrase my statement. There's really not much they can do when the swell is that far away, its just annoying. SWELLINFO WORKS VERY HARD AND I APPRECIATE THAT VERY MUCH. Its just a little annoying. Magic Seaweed pulls that crap all the time though...:mad:

17. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    who will be the first boob to say "its a free service and you dont have to use it!"?... well other than me saying it in this post...
    lol.

18. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    There wasn't much confidence in this one, period. Not the typical setup, without the typical trailing cold front, storm out of position, high pressure steering things off course...

I never really saw it happening to begin with, so I'm not that upset about it now.

19. pvjumper05

pvjumper05 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2008
    lol @ the ignorance in this thread

20. whitewater

whitewater Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Everyone can agree on a couple things.

Forecasting (72+ hrs out) is damn near impossible to nail.

SI is much better than magic seaweed.

We are all frustrated with the lack of swell this winter, and not all of us have the financial luxury to travel extensively. I dont think any of us are hating on the site (at least im not) but it does seem that the forecast have become less accurate. Don't get me wrong, "tings change" (so are the words of a surfing buddy of mine) but it seems that "tings change" a little too dramatically in the forecast. Example, I was looking on the SI app, and the buoy 41036 was reading 7.9 ft sse @ 9 sec. This was very recently. I'd say in the past week or so. After seeing that I flipped on the cam at my spot and it was flatter than kansas. Please don't think I'm complaining about SI, I'm just wondering what would cause the discrepency. I'm just making an observation and giving my 2 cents (which probably isn't worth that).

We've had a wave starved (no, famined) winter and I'm ready just like the rest of everyone to paddle out. This knee high bs has got to stop.

I think we should sacrifice a baby goat and a never ridden off the shelf al merrick stick, but that's just my opinion