P90x

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by Salty, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Salty

Salty Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2008
    I know that one or two years ago I read a thread with some guys debating this workout program. I decided to try something different, so I ordered one and started it about two weeks ago. Been getting up every morning or working out after work every day for about two weeks, and so far it seems like some pretty good, intense workouts. I've also been sticking with the nutrition guide (damn, no beer!) Anybody else have some recent experience with P90X?

2. Gfootr

Gfootr Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Kicks your butt. Hardest part is the time commitment. I did great for 5 weeks, then had to travel for work and broke the cycle.

Kempbo sucks, and the yoga is too friggin long. But the Plyo! ooooh baby! Good stuff.

That helped my surfing the most, I just do whichever disk I'm in the mood for. Still works great!

3. imperial

imperial Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Worked out with weights all my life then tried P90X...Tony Horton is my hero. Been doing it for two years now and I'm still sore after every workout. The nutrional guideline changes your eating habits for life. No more processed foods, fresh fruits and vegatables everyday, salads, chicken the whole nine yards. Sneak some beer every now and then. I thought I was in shape before....naaaa. The whole program finely tunes your body in addition it has imporved my surfing 10 fold...better balance, coordination, cardiovascular fitness, strength. Never had abs like this before either. Being a PE teacher I know a crap load about fitness and this is the MAC DADDY. You just have to be commited...looked at P90X2 and saw Tony doing push ups on 4 basketballs....the original P90X will do me just fine for the next few years. If you goto livestrong.com, this site will help you keep your nutrional needs in check. Look for the my plate section...it keeps track of everything you eat. This is Lance Armstrongs web site and its great. P90X is the absolute BEST....next to surfing perfect chest high glassy waves! "Forget the rest and do your best!"

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  4. cmurr73

cmurr73 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Coincidence. Started 2 weeks ago and really like it. Am eating very healthy toward his guidelines just not exact. Only problem is my shoulders were killing me yesterday while motering around lineup.

5. redrum540

redrum540 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    tried it to get back into shape for surfing 3 years ago. It got me back into shape in like 1month. That with surfing gave me a freakin 6pack. I haven't don it in a while but thanks for the reminder... i gotta get a 6er again before i turn 40. The only problem is now i keep breaking boards and ripping the backs of my wetsuits when i flex! j/k:p

6. Bad Bug Surfing

Bad Bug Surfing Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2006
    my wife got P90x a month ago. only because shes impulsive and buys things with the tax money...... But i have to say that P90x is a beast. ive only been doing a few DVD's due to time constraints but between Plyometrics and the chest, shoulder, and back DVD, your set for surfing. cant wait to do the whole program, but its a big time commitment

7. Salty

Salty Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2008
    I'm pretty committed so far - haven't missed a day in the two and 1/2 weeks I've been goin' for it (but it does take a toll - I have to get up at 4:30 a few mornings every week, but what the hell - sometimes we do that for a dawn patrol go-out, anyway). So far, on day 7 when you can either rest/recover or stretch, I'm still gettin' up, stretching, and doing the "light" workout. If you work it seriously, it doesn't take too long to feel a little better. I'm kind of a small guy (5'9", 155 lbs., and with few opportunities to surf over the last several months, I was starting to put on a few "beer pounds", but my body is already starting to change a little bit - I've got a little more strength, definition, and I'm going for more endurance! I wanna get ready for a tropical season (maybe we'll have one this year?)!

8. Kahuna Kai

Kahuna Kai Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    what kind of equipment does P90X require? I did crossfit religiously for a couple years and reaped tremendous benefits. I can't afford crossfit right now as I am a student. P90X seems to fit the budget.

9. imperial

imperial Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Go to CVS and but yourself an iron gym for $19.99. Dumbells that you can change the weight...I have my 25 year old high school dumbells...Weilder Weights.....10 pounds to 60 pounds...and a pair of 25 lb hex solid iron weights. That's it man. You are basically using your own body weight on most of the exercises. The iron gym thing is the key. I NEVER did pullups but always lifted weights...P90X unlocked the key to perfect health. I make an hour everyday for it...except when there are waves...and even then like this morning a little kempo and 1 1/2 of waist high ne wind crap. It's all a personal challenge...take the test, you won't regret it!
    Pura Vida

10. Chris Joyner

Chris Joyner Moderator

May 23, 2006
    I am doing it right now getting ready for Nicaragua!

11. ragdolling

ragdolling Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Ditto all of the above. It rules, and it takes a lot of time, more than most have. If you're pressed for time, I suggest the spartacus workouts Men's Health drew up. I've tweaked em quite a bit switching out exercises to customize it, but it's a good routine if you have less time.
    http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/high-intensity-circuit-routine/index.php

When I was in the depths of having no free time whatsoever with two kids in diapers (diaper stereo I called it) I bought Tony Horton's 10 minute workout DVDs. They were good because sometimes that's literally all I had was 10 minutes..and if I had 20 minutes, I'd do another workout.

12. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Do you do any other exercises to complement the p90x, like cardio or yoga?

13. SUPREME

SUPREME Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2011
  14. Kahuna Kai

Kahuna Kai Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    right on man, thanks for the intel.

15. eppeldaa

eppeldaa Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    I don't know
    I have watched others do it while I do something else.
    My impression is that it is simply too much and nearly impossible to maintain for the long term.
    Not to mention it is too much especially if you have a harder than average and time consuming job and a family.
    I can see myself doing it if i had very few other responsibilities and a lot of time for rest, otherwise it is too much and too much equals little rest and overdoing it...

16. brandx

brandx Well-Known Member

May 6, 2008
    just gotta try it - you dont have to do the whole hr each day if you dont have the time.
    to everyone who has tried it - if you think the the plyo kicks butt then go for the plyo max workout on insanity (another beach body product)
    even the trainers cant keep steady through that whole workout

17. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    I know it's going to sound lame, but I want to be on the Mick Fanning training program, or at least as close to it as practical for a married guy with a 9-to-5. I'm open-minded about anything that can help me surf and keep me in shape so that I'm still surfing into my 60s.

18. Sandbar18

Sandbar18 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    I've been doing P90x for several years, on and off and it works.
    However, I started insanity last week and its just that. Maybe I got too confortable with P90x- Not sure - but Insanity is pushing my limits.

Ifg you guys are looking for one of the programs, always check craigslist. I scored insanity brand new for $40.

19. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Crossfit. It's free and that's what SF Army uses. I don't know too much about it. My son is a Delta 18 and he told me about it this weekend. He says it's easier to maintain the intensity than the PX90 work outs. I'm going to give it a shot because All I do is cardio, because I'm old and lazy...

20. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    I also just started. I just rented a house and low and behold someone left about 200 DVD's in the hall closet. Including p90x, various yoga and pilates, and some straight to lifetime old lady flicks. I might get online and try to download the nutrition guide but so far my impression is that you can eat anything under the sun, and should, as you are doing straight cardio for an hour a day, by 90 days I bet I will be a cal burning machine.