Surfing and Fighting............

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by Etl1692, Mar 14, 2012.

1. gruvi

gruvi Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Sorry man, its highly likely more seasoned martial artist would agree with me. You had one case of a guy that wasnt truely intent on fighting or seeking to seriously injure you.

2. gruvi

gruvi Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    You are right. Two months ago. I went and bought a 3/2 and tried out surfing in January because guys here told me it is the best way to begin...I cant wait til summer season now because I'm definitely ready for the huge warm water swells that pale the crap I was given with weak winter wave activity.

3. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    a 3/2 in january...yep, uh huh

4. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    I kicked my flops off and took a half step back when the guy started getting aggressive. I'm not talking about doing the crane or anything. He was bigger than me so probably relying on intimidation. Me just being ready for his advance was enough for him... not to.

5. mongoloid

mongoloid Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    who let that clown gruvi back on here??

surfing and fighting? you should talk to sunny garcia. he probably has some good advice.

6. zehfoto

zehfoto New Member

Mar 22, 2012
    I'm from Middlesex county and have been training in MMA for about 4yrs now off and on. Since I'm in my late 30's I have no interest in competing, I do it to stay in shape and for self defense. I've been robbed at gun point twice in my life and I dont plan on that happening again. MMA training is great for conditioning. When looking for a place make sure they train you for fight preperation. At the gym I go to by me they specialize in that. Its a lot of weight and cardio training. Also, find a gym that teaches some form of Thai/kickboxing or traditional boxing. I've done traditional Thai boxing for two years and I've been training the last two years in Dutch style Thai boxing. Both are great for cardio conditioning and striking training.

Another thing to keep in mind is that BJJ is the new chicken. Everyone is all about it. There's other styles that get you the same results that are just as good if not better. My favorite part of my training is the Russin combat sambo part. Russian combat sambo combines striking, judo and submission grappling into one art/style. With combat sambo you control the fight from the start be it hand to hand or if someone has a weapon in most cases. Its a very effective style! I've seen some high level BJJ guys who are black belts from NYC come down to the gym I train at and get submitted by guys who've been rolling for 2yrs. There's not many schools out there that teach sambo and I only know of one that teaches combat sambo and thats the one I'm at. The best advice I can give you is do your research. Here's three links for you to check out. Good luck!!

Here's a few links for you.

I heard a few good things about this school.
    http://www.monmouthbjjcenter.com/

Kurts gym is a good option also.
    http://pellegrinomma.com/

This is the gym I train at.
    http://www.zealousnation.com/

7. jchafard

jchafard Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Wow... Loads of martial arts wussies in here... Just reminded me how much forums in general attract limp-wristed d-bags.

How about... Surfing to get into surfing shape by the way??? Sheesh.

8. leethestud

Aug 12, 2010

watch out guys we have a dada55 over here!!!!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  9. Bronze Whaler

Bronze Whaler Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    You prefer your d-bags to be firm-wristed?

not everybody lives on the swell ravaged shores of Chincoteague where you can surf everyday

surprised this thread has made no mention of Bobby Martinez and his boxing training regimen- of course if he lived near Chincoteague instead of Santa Barbara he could just surf to stay in world tour shape instead of having to cross train

10. zehfoto

zehfoto New Member

Mar 22, 2012
  11. jchafard

Aug 10, 2011
    Oh, so you and the OP are next to Martinez's skill level? Last I checked no one here was on the ASP tour... Or ever had a chance for that matter. Not to mention boxing, considered by many to not even to be a martial art (at least non-traditional), is a completely different type of training. At least while training in boxing you get a heavy cardio workout and weight train regularly... Not dance and tumble around on mats 90 percent of the time in choreographed routines... But hey if that's your thing cool... I've tried both, I know I'll leave the hopping, kicking, and grappling to whoever finds it "physically demanding."

12. jchafard

Aug 10, 2011
    Says the guy who frightens his opponents away with his stance...haha

Noones trying to be anything except maybe a few guys taking self defense and useless fighting technique classes.

13. Henny

Henny Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2011
    ummm.. ok ... you gotta gun, you can have my junk . Unless your assailant agrees to roll around on the ground with you , I suggest you do the same, or we'll see ya on the news...
    p.s ( the karate movies ,ya know where they chop bullets outta the air ? yeah, that's not real.)

14. jchafard

Aug 10, 2011
    No way, Jackie Chan does it in all his films!! If anything, most people training in "self defense" martial arts don't have the mindset to do anything outside their training environment anyway. When I boxed competitively in college the martial arts guys used to puff their chests toward us daily... Until the day came when they pushed too far and spit out their teeth.

15. Henny

Henny Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2011
    props to you ,,, huge boxing fan here... Lopez v Salido II ,,, good lord !

16. Bronze Whaler

Bronze Whaler Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    The OP asked if training to fight in some way would be a good method to get into or stay in shape for surfing while improving his self-defense skills. So you proved my point that boxing training would likely be the most beneficial not just to improve his fitness by virtue of the heavy cardio etc. but also to improve his self defense ability- thanks.

What are you implying about OP or me not being at Martinez's (or the WCT which he isn't on mind you) surfing skill level? It sounds like you mean to say that only the best in the world need to work on their fitness in order for their surfing to benefit and that is painfully ignorant. Whatever sport we're talking about an improvement in the general fitness of the individual will pay dividends in the specific sport- that's just common sense and sports science 101.

17. leethestud

Aug 12, 2010
    jchafard You totally missed the point, but that's cool. You just thought you would roll up in here and drop a i'm-better-than-you-everyone-else-is-a-kook vibe and claim the win, is that it? You are the biggest hypocrite around here talking about limp wristed d-bags claiming to be tough a forum... Then you hide behind the same forum to insult them and assert your own "toughness". Your logic sucks and we all are a little dumber and gayer now because we had to come along on your logic loop. Eat a 8==>, bro.

Oh yeah and who knew gruvi was the F8cking karate kid, better start being nice to all of the kooks in the line-up

18. dudemanski

dudemanski New Member

Mar 22, 2012
    you want muy thai. its the ultimated a kicking style, and is great cardio and strength training as well.

19. surfina

surfina Active Member

Oct 15, 2009
    ok, after reading a few posts, i figured i would chime in since i am a Muay Thai instructor. Muay Thai is great for you as well as bjj. If you are looking for cross training, i highly recommend both. Muay thai is going to get your cardio up and explosivness and bjj will improve your flexibility and teach how to get out of tight situations. It's not cheap so see if the local studios offer free trial classes to make sure you really want to commit to it.

20. Hilly

Hilly Active Member

Sep 17, 2011
    places like daddis fight camp offer something called combat conditioning classes. those classes are amazing. i think the cris cyborg routine is similar. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX8zB07d4g

I have done 6 years of Karate and a year of kung fu. what a waste of time. i would also recommend any mui tai or jiu jitsu classes, this is where its at, on top of a solid training regiment. kettle bell training is really great way to get into shape and stay there too. good luck.