how fast can you go with surfboards on roof racks.

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by radripperaj, Mar 23, 2012.

1. radripperaj

radripperaj Active Member

Jun 25, 2009
    hey guys i just got a thule roof rack for my toyota corolla and i was wondering how fast i can go with surfboards on it? i mean a surfboard is a fairly big area and looks like an airplane wing kind of. is there a certain speed where the pressure becomes to much and it will just rip the rack off the car, or the board snaps in half? im just wondering how fast yall go normally and if i should stay under 70 or something like that on the interstate?

thanks
    AJ

2. tibu35

tibu35 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2009
    The fastest I have gone with my roof racks was around 75 -80 driving back to school. I'm not sure if there is a max speed for them though. I didn't want to test it and have my 2 boards go flying accross I-95.

3. radripperaj

Jun 25, 2009
    Thanks,

yeah i dont want to test it either. thats why i figured i'd better ask. what size are your boards? i dont know if that really matters, but i figure bigger probably has more resistance.

4. Gfootr

Gfootr Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    I never go over 80-85mph, I've lost a board that wasn't strapped in right at 80mph, still can't believe it didn't kill anyone. I rope, strap and double wrap them f ers now.

5. radripperaj

Jun 25, 2009
    so how do you tie them down? upside down and facing backwards? because that is what i see in a lot of videos although some of them have the boards facing forward? which way would you say is better?

6. santiago58

santiago58 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2011
    Upside down backwards 90 mph

7. Strange_Flora

Strange_Flora Member

Feb 20, 2010
    I've had the Thule roof rack and board holder for about 7 years, and I haven't lost a board or anything yet. I have gone probably 85 or so, probably faster on the way to the airport with three boards on top (the straps only fit 2 but I tie ropes to the ends to extend them for more boards; if you don't know how to tie knots I wouldn't recommend this). When I had my Nissan Altima, I once had 40 2x4 studs on there, and the racks held up fine! Now I have a truck with a cap, but I attached the racks to the roof of the cap, and use them to haul lumber, ladders, or whatever else I need to put on there. One thing to consider though, is the board length. If you're hauling a longboard, I would be careful going into a strong headwind over a bridge or something, but other than that I think a shortboard catches minimal wind if put on right (upside-down and backwards as stated by the above posts). Also, while Thule racks are great, in my youth I had just cheap 70 dollar surf racks, and I remember my friends and I stacking 6 boards on there and we never lost a board What a nightmare we must have been to the experienced surfers back then. What kooks!

8. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    w/ proper racks, & the boards strapped down properly (fins up & forward, don't be a kook) you can go as fast as you want. i've done 85 w/ a longboard on the roof in the past. IMO however, going faster than 80 is stupid unless conditions are perfect & you're a good driver. you become a danger to yourself & others. besides, w/ gas prices going the way they are, & the fact that most cars are at their most fuel efficient between 55-65mph, there's no reason to go that fast.

9. whitewater

whitewater Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    depends on what kinda car you have. My delorean acts really weird once i hit 88.

10. radripperaj

Jun 25, 2009
    thanks for all the help guys. ive never carried boards on a surf rack before so i just want to be extra careful. im sure i sound like a real noob right now. yeah i only want to go 70 since that is since that is the fastest speed limit i encounter on my way to the beaches i go to. i just wanted to make sure the surfboards could handle that. I have one more question. im actually carrying two longboards. is it better to push them further back on the rack and have more over hang off the back than the front? this way it would have less surface area catching head wind. or is it better just to have even overhang front and back? sorry about all the questions.

thanks

AJ

11. Trident

Trident Active Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Classic......

12. krl0919

krl0919 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2011
    you beat me to it!

13. whitewater

whitewater Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    where are you going to surf??? Forecast looks pretty bleak

14. tonylamont

tonylamont Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2011
    I have the Thule rack system, use it to carry two longboards. I usually drive 75 or so, but have gone up to 85 with no problems. I usually add an extra Dakine tiedown strap for good measure, and check every hour or two to make sure everything is tight. I have a 3.5 hr drive each way to surf, been doing it a few times a month for a couple years with no problems.

15. radripperaj

Jun 25, 2009
    thanks tonylamont. hey when you put your longboards on there. do you position them evenly on the racks or do you place them further back so there isnt much over hang on the front?

@ whiterwater. im not going anywhere right now. i just got the roof rack setup and i just wanted to know what it and the boards can handle before i do go out somewhere.

thanks AJ

16. live4truth

live4truth Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2007
    As long as you set them up right and followed the install directions...you shouldn't have a problem. I used the hang two carrier (and the original rubber band setup and newer version). Carried SUPs, longboards, short...and all held on incredibly...at highway speeds. Never had a problem...

17. spongedude

spongedude Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2010
    a question of balance....

i have yakimas on my camry. i have two 9+ boards and i position them back enough that they just nearly ready tip backwards. this cuts down on tendency to sail at 75+ i usually drive.

18. parippa

parippa Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Early in the AM many years ago, dazed and hungover, leaving avon to make the 7 mile drive to buxton, we couldnt find the straps, so we fixed two longboards to the yakima roof rack with some old bungees. passing 4 cars at once, the driver, not me, hit 90mph and SNAP! we both look back to see the boards spinning through the air and slam into the front of an old minivan, who we just finished passing, breaking one board in half. we almost crapped ourselves until the minivan rolls up next to us and the three dudes in there were kinda smiling. sure enough their mom was in the car behind them and when they took off, she pulled up next to us and started yelling.. my boy threw it in reverse to avoid the verbal assault and we went back to collect the scraps. Now days even with a proper setup on my yakima, i refuse to exceed 85 mph. I've been in the truck with my boy joe when he's hit 95mph with two lb's on his thule and its scary. We could have killed those dudes in NC that day.

19. radripperaj

Jun 25, 2009
    thanks for all the help guys. i actually just went ahead and got on a country backroad with my longboard strapped on. i went 75 with no problems. it seemed really stable and stiff so im sure it could have handled more. i just dont really intend on going faster than 75. the fastest speed limit i ever come across is 70 , and i normally only do 5 over. im happy though and now i cant wait to go get some waves. thanks again for all the help guys, and those were some scary stories some of you had.

AJ

20. wave1rider65

wave1rider65 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Less frontal over hang the better.....You can get locking staps and or attachments to properly secure your board. Inno makes a good one for Thule racks.
    http://www.orsracksdirect.com/inno-racks-boardlocker-surfboard-rack.html

Yakima also makes a set of 12' straps that lock.