What is the reason for the extreme level of attitude along the southern west coast?

Discussion in 'West Florida' started by J Shawn, Apr 7, 2012.

1. J Shawn

J Shawn New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    This post was my first and last. I found the experience less than informative.

I grew up surfing on Pensacola Beach: I gave up the sport and gave away all my boards over 12 years ago upon finding myself moving to the flattest coast in pursuit of a better economic situation.

Last May I made an error while vacationing on Pensacola Beach. I surfed for an entire week and consequently reawakened a long repressed desire within myself, the unquenchable desire to ride waves and to pass on the joy of the afore mentioned sport to my 12 year old daughter.

Imagine my surprise when I paddled out for the first time in southwest Florida into knee high wind slop to find an attitude reminiscent of that which one might expect at some world class break! I was honestly floored, jaw agape, as it were.

On April 5, 2012 I surfed in waist to shoulder high ground swell at Juno Pier with offshore conditions. While the main peak was tense the locals behaved in a civilized and over all respectful manner toward fellow surfers. The only incident I observed occurred when a fisherman purposely set his hook into a surfers leg. Literally on the flip-side. The next day I paddled out beside Naples pier into blown-out ankle high crap, no doubt evidence of an unbridled addiction. What did I find but an assemblage of the rudest, self-important "kooks" one could imagine. I do not use the term "kook" to disparage their surfing abilities, which I freely admit outstrip my own, only the atmosphere which by their own choice they created. I am sure that, given an open face, one or two would impress most, and it just so happens that these were the instigators of this self-same idiocy. Can anyone imagine the stupidity of coming to blows over surf of such low quality?

I suppose my docility is a product of age, as I ran with a rough crowd in my youth.

What is the reason for the extreme level of attitude along the southern west coast?

Surfing is, or so I thought, supposed to be about having fun! No-doubt I should brace myself for an onslaught of childish retorts, but what is in the line-up must necessarily start on dry land!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  2. chad05gt

chad05gt Well-Known Member

May 16, 2011
    ,,,a fisherman intentionally hooking someone.

That fisherman would be dead; seriously.

3. H2O'C

H2O'C Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2011
    I got hooked by a fisherman in VB once ..northside of the pier..we almost came to blows but were stopped by the cops....sad thing is this behavior is at any or most spots..if they want to be miserable let them...tell them if your not happy just wait untill you are and stay that way..

4. idsmashh

idsmashh Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2010
    If you spoke with this same type of snobby over-educated attitude out in the lineup its no surprise you got the stink eye out there bro.. Just because you have the education and the vocabulary doesn't mean it is appropriate for every crowd.

5. Topo

Topo Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2011
    There was an all out war at Sebastion Inlet in the 70's between surfers & fusherman. Some fishermen would through weights at surfers. Some surfers took razor blades out & cut lines. One of the best ones I heard was a surfer dumping a fisherman's tackle box on the rocks. Led to fights, police, etc- eventually cooler heads prevailed.

Shawn, be patient. I came back after a 23 year career in the Army. Had all the desire, but just did not have the abilty I did in my 20's. Today, I am just happy just to be out on a decent day- I avoid crowds, but when I am in one, I do my best to avoid conflict. Assateaque can get a little intense on a good day. Kills me when the pack of young guys hang out inside of the lineup & almost dares anyone catching a wave farther out to avoid them. I guess there are only so many sardines fit in the can.

6. jrobe057

jrobe057 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    its this attitude that is to blame for the US being like 45th in the world for education standards.
    "I object, he broke my house, and he talks like a ***"

7. idsmashh

Aug 2, 2010
    reallly jrope??? That is the best way to word that?! The fact of the matter is that this is a thread on a surf forum and not a college essay. I don't mean to sound like a bad guy here, but when someone uses this kind of language it doesn't give me the impression that they are smart. It gives me the impression that they want you to think they are smarter then they are. I bet you anything that the OP spent an hour proof-reading this thread before he hit the "post" button. This thread would have been perfectly plausible if this were a forum full of english professors. And I'm sure they would all take you as a well educated man, but with the situation being as it is your more likely to be taken as a jackass..

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  8. Stayabovetheweather

Stayabovetheweather Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2011
    just don't surf there then if your feeling threatened or whatever ...

9. joenottoast

joenottoast Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2011
    so far we have several theories..

the attitude exists because:

1. dont go there if you dont like it
    2. one time fisherman and surfers got in a 'war'
    2. because you used words that were too big to describe your love of surfing

i think we can all agree that those 3 answers are the best possible and that this thread is over

10. diewalrus

diewalrus Active Member

Nov 14, 2009
    You don't sound like a bad guy, just an idiot. Or maybe you are a bad guy and you're jealous? If he has a large vocabulary why not use it?

11. Flying eye

Flying eye Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2011
    limited resources, too many people trying to cash in on the latest fad. the more mice you put in the maze, the more aggressive they become toward each other for the space.
    people are no different. please ignore the less educated; example "fisherman through,"
    the word should be throw. people this is basic english.

12. Topo

Topo Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Flying Eye- That’s what I get for scratching out a response a little too quick. I understand the difference between through & throw. Thanks for the English lesson professor.

13. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Drive across that peninsula (that's what florida is, damnit) and get some real surf. The surfers there aren't frothing over a ripple because they actually get surf, damn good surf sometimes too.

Pura vida "bro" and good on you for sharing the love with your daughter. Some of my fondest memories as a kid were driving down to hatty with my daddy.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  14. whitewater

whitewater Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    you wanna know the reason for the attitude? You! You pretentious b-yatch. It's obvious you have a little weenis and need to be catered to.

15. Bronze Whaler

Bronze Whaler Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    and the consensus respone is: "We aint much for fancy book learnin' smarty pants"

I'm thinking the writer's of Idiocracy might have been on to something.

16. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    What is the reason for the extreme level of attitude in so many threads lately?

We all really need some good swell to come in. this has been such an uneventful winter 1 or 2 days of waves isn't going to do it. where are the waves?

17. wbsurfer

wbsurfer Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2008
    the waves arent coming back until im cleared to surf again which will be in 6 weeks. sorry guys but i wished a flat winter on everyone when i found out i was having to have knee surgery back in december.

18. H20pulse

H20pulse New Member

Oct 24, 2010
    A fishing pier isn’t there to give people the ability to surf fish from a higher altitude instead of from the shoreline, it’s there to afford people the ability to fish BEYOND the surf, bathers, waders swimmers, bodysurfers and surfers WITHOUT a license or any water skills or equipment whatsoever. Basically it’s to geographically separate fishing from other actual water use.

To intentionally circumvent that and to use a hook and line as a weapon is battery.

19. offshore

offshore Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2010
    [video=youtube;VAlBvxjApf4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAlBvxjApf4&feature=related[/video]

20. idsmashh

Aug 2, 2010
    Lol.. I liked the original better. "The next wave is neigh. Shall ye go left, or shall ye go right, tis the question.." lmfao!