Surfing Vs Bodyboarders

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by TylerSurf4life15, Apr 10, 2012.

1. staystoked

staystoked Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
  2. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    honestly, I would MUCH rather be in the water with a knowledgeable sponger than a longboarder or SUP'r.

3. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    I don't bodyboard anymore, but I will tell you all there are a couple spots within a short drive from my house that are killer bodyboarding waves. One is great depending on tide, wind and swell direction--when it's large, confused, windy and not worth paddling out anywhere else this spot produces screaming 100 yard barrels that are impossible to make on a surfboard. It's fickle and only breaks a hand full of times a year. As for the other one, it's surfable too but more of a slab. I'm not going to say anything more about it because it's a secret on a developed beach that does not see much surfing pressure and I want to keep it that way. I'm sure some folks who know the area really well know the first break I mentioned.

4. 252surfer

252surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    Amen tbrown. that's how I started.

5. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    if you guys want to really want to entertain yourself, do a forum search for this same thread topic that has been done many times over. I'm sure you will find hours of great entertainment :)

6. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    I've had some good days on the body board, mostly shorebreak or closeouts. Otherwise, I'm surfing.

I'll make a bold claim: I can grab a body board and hang with the best of 'em. Let's see a body boardersgrab a surfboard and do the same.

I rest my case.

7. leethestud

Aug 12, 2010
    swellinfo, where the hell are my puppies and kittens?

8. H2O'C

H2O'C Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2011
    I have to agree with you Lee..Why not just do both?..Is the transition difficult?..Im not expecting it to be easy or anything.. wave placement and timing are already in the bag..

9. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Bigger and deeper at Pipe, Chopes, Puerto...most all of the biggest deepest waves on the planet...done by BOTH bodyboarders and standup surfers, and i doubt its ever easy. So apparently if you are the guy out on the shoulder dropping in, thats mostly about YOU choosing the soft part of the wave.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  10. Don Ride

Don Ride Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Snaked

:cool: snaked.jpg Ha Ha Ha!

11. EastCoastBodyBoarder

EastCoastBodyBoarder Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2008
    Poverty beach

12. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    and Broadway

13. Bronze Whaler

Bronze Whaler Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Crawling = boogieboarding, walking = longboarding, running = shortboarding, crutch/cane/walker = SUP

14. beachkat

beachkat Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2009
    this forum is totally ridiculous. sounds like babies, "my thing is better than your thing blah blah blah...".
    give it up already. to each their own.

15. rgnsup

rgnsup Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Most bodyboarders aren't talking **** on surfers or stand ups and most rip on a surfboard. It's always the stand ups who are bashing the bodyboarders. Why? Well probably because guys like Etl1692 are shoulder hopping and can't get a wave.

To those who think one chooses to bodyboard because they can't stand up, time to think outside of the box. I stood up for 5 years before I went to bodyboarding. What do you know, I can do both equally well.

16. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    Agree with. most serious spongers are great to be in the line up with. they don't wavehog and know the rules of the game.

its only the summer-only guys with the cheap sponge from Chaunceys telling all their Hollister bedecked 'bros' how they 'surf' that are the issue for me.

17. cobtaco223

cobtaco223 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    I do both. There is a break very close to my house that breaks so close that you can really only bodyboard. But, the break is about 10x as gnarly as the local surfing breaks, so when it looks like I'll have more fun there, I go there. Or, if it is a really mushy day or something, instead of whipping out the longboard, I grab my fins and bodyboard. At the same time, when there is a good day, I surf it forever. I don't know why surfers get so butthurt about bodyboarders. Both are fun, different strokes for different folks.

18. leethestud

Aug 12, 2010
    at this point I'd ride anything. The next 7 days say things like 1ft@3seconds haha. I'd ride a raft made of foam top costco boards and inflatable bananas if given the chance. Time to do your rain dance.

19. wave1rider65

wave1rider65 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Thank You!!!

20. beachkat

beachkat Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2009
    boogie board body board

Dont care what u call it. I ignore people like u