Flat Spell

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by backside hack, Apr 7, 2012.

1. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    there's an actual swell here today,so please close or else re-name this thread

2. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011

Can't see the forest for the trees andrew? Let me flesh this out for you. The surf fishing at the point is the impetus for many to vacation in the area this time of year. The folks who come to surf fish the point do not necessarily fish every day of the week they are there. Other days they take fishing charters in the sound and offshore, the family members they bring with them go spend their money around the area while the fishermen are fishing. Now, take away the main reason most of these folks go there this time of year. What happens? THEY DECIDE NOT TO VISIT THE OBX THIS YEAR. This means a severe cut in the early season clientele the businesses on the Southern OBX historically see! Dude, you say you are a scientist, but you can't understand a very simple and straight forward system such as a small town economy that relies on tourism. It completely baffles me.

Here, I'll break it down in terms you might be able to understand. Here's the scenario: You own a McDonalds at an exit off the highway. They temporarily close the highway. What will that do for your business? What if you have kids, a mortgage, etc?

BTW, we have tons of turtles down here in SE NC. They don't have problems nesting, they have problems with "scientists" digging them up for "research" and breaking on average 15% of the eggs in the nest.

3. zrich

zrich Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2011
    No, scientists have a duty to pursue the truth, whether it supports their theories or not. Scientists pursuing the almighty dollar over the truth have a conflict of interest.

4. wallysurfr

wallysurfr Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2007
    It's a sad sad day when overregulation of the well being of a bird takes precedence over the well being of human beings.

5. Driftingalong

Driftingalong Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2008
    I agree with zrich here, Andrew. That is a very disturbing point of view and unfortunately all too common practice.
    Scientific Method...look it up...
    Once you have your theory, you preform the necessary research/experiments. Then analyze the data and draw a conclusion. This either supports your original hypothesis/theory, or requires you to come up with a new one.

6. wbsurfer

wbsurfer Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2008
    hey guys im sorry its been so flat, i got a new board 2 weeks ago, so that could be the reason for the flat spell.

7. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Let's meet up at Ft. Fisher State park. You bring the board, I'll bring my 4x4 and some lighter fluid so we can drive out there and burn it. ;)

Knee's getting better I presume?

8. wallysurfr

Oct 23, 2007
    why don't you guys drive up to the outer banks? I heard there's these birds there and their nest make great kindling for board burning ceremonies. Just soak them with lighter fluid and light them up. Put your board on top and be done with it. Two birds with one stone...

If any birds try to protect their eggs just stomp them.

9. wbsurfer

wbsurfer Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2008
    its getting there. i have till may 16th and then hopefully after that ill be golden. but we can burn a older board but not my new one.

10. andrewk529

andrewk529 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2010
    My assertions are based on established science. You would be right, if the theories or research was novel. Abstract, methods and results are released for scrutinization. Please excuse my misstatement.

Erock, Your statements are just hyperbole and speculation. How dependent are the banks on fisherman and their families during the beach closures? How many charters are lost because of the point being closed? If someone cannot surf fish the point, it seems like a huge leap that they will not visit the banks.Point surf fishing is one factor contained within tourism; what about bird watching? How about the increased revenue that business owners realize, from people who chose to fish on the piers? Consider the increased offshore charters? Numbers would be of great help. Beachbreak, I haven't seen anything substantial to support your claims , I have done a cursory search of the Island Free Press's website; but could you post the studies you claim are applicable? My point is a lot of what I am seeing here is complete speculation.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  11. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    Take a few dozen feral cats with you.....

12. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    while we are at it, let's go ahead and take whatever the hell is being protected on fisherman's island out of the food chain. Dont soak em in lighter fluid, I have a turkey fryer... Don't want to be wasteful

andrew you could type 100000 paragraphs about it and I still wouldn't give a sh*t.

Grilled, fried, roasted... white or dark meat. That.. is the question.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  13. Bronze Whaler

Bronze Whaler Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    yeah that reminds of a bumper sticker I saw: "Hatteras NC- a drinking town with a bird watching problem"

14. wallysurfr

Oct 23, 2007
    HAHHAHAHAA! Seriously, I will eat one.

15. ClemsonSurf

ClemsonSurf Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    I just read this whole thread and now I have to take a shower because the poo dried on to my cheeks.

16. lisa007

lisa007 New Member

Apr 17, 2012
    I hear the Sweet Potato is not bad for the flat stuff

17. andrewk529

Sep 3, 2010
    You never know the OBX might become inundated in the near future with stickers containing my statement...Hahaha .Feel free to try shore birds, you will enjoy the distinct oily fish flavor and texture.There is a reason why people do not typically eat sea gulls; and they definitely do not taste like chicken. Anyway, enough time has been wasted arguing. I will be enjoying the impending ground swell and warm weather the next few days...One of my favorite quotes is applicable here "The great thing about science, is that even if you do not believe in it, it's true". - Neil deGrasse Tyson. Or in beach breaks case: “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
    — Albert Einstein

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  18. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    who was it that said, "Man's 'wisdom' is folly." ?
    You lost,Andrew,go away.

19. andrewk529

Sep 3, 2010
    Hahaha Ok, Mr Break.

20. SouthjettyBill

SouthjettyBill Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2011
    God I love this thread .........I love seeing y'all go at one another......

Ummm everything in the Outer Banks relies on tourist dollars...EVERYTHING.......HEY ZUES, 80% of the transplant "locals" work seasonal tourist jobs and drink at Mulligan's - watching The Price is Right - on a February morning, while collecting unemployment. Man, I can't stand when some dude moves there from Pittsburgh after highschool/college, because his/her family vacations there. Then in one month he/she is JOE SURF......and they think they are cool. And they are JOE SURF........And then the loneliness hits them, especially if they don't live in town, and they head on home.......after being JOE SURF for a year or two.......

Man, don't eat no birds..........What if I ate your dog? Eat pizza not animals.........

Please....Please all y'all, DO NOT ARGUE WITH EROCK...........Me and mommy are going to send him to Brown someday. The dude is SWELLINFO's intellectual great white hope......I mean dig it......He's well-read and articulate. He lives in quaint Wilmington, NC.........and I find that admirable.....EROCK, we would send you to Harvard or Princeton, but we feel that Providence is a bit more low-key so you won't end up on the dope. Plus you can go surf Monahan's in "Gansett. Tell them SJB sent you.....Don't let their "vibes" sacre you. Rhode Island is totally sissy.

Hey Wilmington, DE dude(fascinating that the Wilmington's are facing off over the birds, tourism and beach access in the OB). ...anyway um why do you guys get in so many dang car accidents anymore....Yes I watch Action News religiously. Some day I'm going to marry Rick Williams. And OMG, that Jim Gardner gets me all bothered......But what's wrong with you New Castle County drivers.....?? Always with the major accidents...........